Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US Navy flight jacket

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I have nothing to offer as to your original question, Dinerman.

My rule of thumb on all purchases is as follows: Does it fit? Does it work for the purpose I have in mind? Is it more or less what I expected? Was it in budget?

Of course, your mental picture's going to be different to a lot of people's. But like Gene, I'm with you on this.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Fits great. I sewed up the rip in the lining, and a tear in the knit. The collar's got some bald spots, but otherwise isn't bad. I'm happy with the jacket.

IMG_05821.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg

IMG_0585-1.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
Yes they are. The bi-swing along with the two piece gusset under the arm give a very comfortable fit and range of motion. I can wear my g-1 all day and not feel like I am wearing a jacket. The fit reminds me of an old pea coat I used to own. The arm/shoulder construction was so well made that I could wear that thick heavy coat and not feel restricted at all. I miss that jacket...

kojax

Practically Family
what it is a good g-1 jacket. i was looking at the cockpit usa vintage g-1 jacket they have one really broken in any coments thank you

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Fit For Purpose.

You're not after a museum piece or fixer upper. You want something you can wear without fear of getting it ripped or nicked. And you haven't paid a fortune.

Fit For Purpose. Enjoy..:eusa_clap

L HATLEY

One of the Regulars
G1 jacket

the Jacket looks great on you.
I have one that the Leather & Collar is in top shape. unfortunaly
my son antiqued the cuffs and the knit on the bottom. it is a 38-40,
wished it was a 42. one of these days i will get it repaired and trade for one that fits.

SIGGY

A-List Customer
jacket opinion

hey dinerman, I think you got a good deal, if you're just wanting to wear something that looks "used" or been around then what you got is fine, i like the idea of wearing one that if you were to get it scratched bad or a seam lets go etc ,you don't sweat it much as it was a good deal to start with!
If you're wanting to go "Newbie" look then a new jacket is it, I'd say good for you on this one !!!!
Siggy

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman, I haven't read through this entire thread and perhaps someone has already answered your original question, but I think you have a MIL-J-7823(AER), that is, an early edition G-1. I base my opinion on the shape of your jacket's pocket flaps and the shape of its collar. If I am correct, your jacket was issued in the very early 1950s---so yes, I think it is Korean War vintage.

The cuffs, and perhaps the waistband have been replaced. At least the zipper pull (and maybe the entire zipper) is also an old replacement, so the jacket is not all original, but it is still a great find and you got it at a good price.

I, for one, love old jackets such as yours. I like vintage jackets to have character. I like them to have personality. I like to imagine the stories they could tell were they able. In the future, you may want to replace your jacket's cuffs with something more mil-spec, and you may want to apply some Pecards to the shell, but otherwise I would just proudly wear the heck out of that old G-1!

AF

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Atticus Finch said:
Dinerman, I haven't read through this entire thread and perhaps someone has already answered your original question, but I think you have a MIL-J-7823(AER), that is, an early edition G-1. I base my opinion on the shape of your jacket's pocket flaps and the shape of its collar. If I am correct, your jacket was issued in the very early 1950s---so yes, I think it is Korean War vintage.

The cuffs, and perhaps the waistband have been replaced. At least the zipper pull (and maybe the entire zipper) is also an old replacement, so the jacket is not all original, but it is still a great find and you got it at a good price.

I, for one, love old jackets such as yours. I like vintage jackets to have character. I like them to have personality. I like to imagine the stories they could tell were they able. In the future, you may want to replace your jacket's cuffs with something more mil-spec, and you may want to apply some Pecards to the shell, but otherwise I would just proudly wear the heck out of that old G-1!

AF
Thanks for the info!

It really does have character. I thought it was cool, too, that it had some old business cards in the pocket of the biplane company that it's spent the last 30 years servicing

I think the waistband is original, but it's worn very thin, and is stretched out. The cuffs are definitely replacements, and aren't very good. The leather's all in pretty good shape, though, and is still strong. Once it gets back up above freezing, I think this one will replace my RCAF flight jacket as my daily wearer. I'll see about replacing the knits when I go back home in a couple of months, but its not too pressing.

I'm really very happy with it.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sorry for the necroposting here, but I figured I'd piggyback on Dinerman's thread rather than start a new one.

I thrifted this today, synthetic collar, more modern make. Any ideas as to date and/or type of leather (cowhide?)? I figure I'll hit it with some Obenauf's and try to look as good as Dinerman does in his.

img1160.jpg

img1163.jpg

img1166.jpg

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
iT'ssssss a...

nice jacket...it's a ralph edwards, obviously as the label sez, which was a govt contractor for g-1s, which means it's milspec g-1, which means it's goat...by the dsa number i see '77' there so i'm guessing by that, and when the other edwards were made that i've seen on ebay, that is the production year

totally a classic...that 'marine' clothing label looks added after the fact, like it might have been the vintage clothing purveyor that was reselling the jacket

nice

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
It's a "de-milled" 1977 Ralph Edwards. I'd bet its a contract overrun that was sold at the PX on board Quantico.

I doubt its goat. More likely, its embossed cowhide. G-1 specifications changed beginning with the E-series jackets in 1972 to allow the use of embossed cowhide or goat. Of course, most contractors quickly began using the less expensive cowhide...by 1977 I think cowhide was the norm rather than the exception.

A good friend of mine once had a jacket exactly like yours...he may still have it, in fact. It was a retirement gift and was purchased new at the PX on board Camp Lejuene.

AF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24