Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

US Navy flight jacket

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I just got this off ebay for $23 shipped. Apparently it's in fairly poor shape, but I've been looking for an old beater, so it's exactly what I've wanted. A little leather conditioner, some patching of the liner, and I should be good to go.

According to the description:

This is an authentic Korean era Navy Flight jacket. I was giving biplane rides in 78' when one of my passengers was so happy with the experience that he removed his jacket and gave it to me. He told me that he was a Navy pilot in the korean conflict. Unfortunately I removed his name tag from the front. I used the jacket for many years for my new passengers, so it is well worn. On a scale of 1 to 10 this is in poor condition. The inner liner is ripped and will have to be replaced. But as an authentic memorabilia it is a 10. It will make a great gift for some young person, maybe a future aviator, who wants the "real" thing. You can visit my websites at http:// www.bannerbob.net to see more threads. Also "bannerbob33" on you tube.

dc50_1.jpg

dcf7_1.jpg

dc9f_1.jpg

So what do you think? I don't have any reason to doubt the description, but is it really a Korea era G-1 from what you can see in the small pictures?

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Sorry I can't answer your question, but the wear on that is great. Looks like it's been around a while and been through a lot. Congrats.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
From looking at these photos, it's not easy to identify the hide but it doesn't look like goatskin. A vintage USN example will be goat.
Also, the knits don't look like '40s/'50s style and colour.

But then, the jacket could look quite different in the flesh.
Photos can be misleading.

B
T

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
It does look a lot like HH, but I'm almost positive it's goat. I've had several examples of smooth grained goat that appeared to be horse in photos. Appears to be too much of an investment. This normally happens when you start collecting, (I know cuz I did the same thing) you buy anything that looks old regardless of condition and then realise after much wasted time that it's just not worth the hassle fixing up those jackets that require extensive repair. too costly to do it correctly and should only be done with those jackets that have true historic worth.;)

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
A little leather conditioner, some patching of the liner, and I should be good to go.

The liner on this needs to be replaced, the knits are not original and should be replace as well. The mouton most likely is molting as are many of these jackets and will just be nasty and falling in your dinner plate when you wear it out to eat. All in all a very expensive venture, a little more than spit and bailing wire sorry to say. :(

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Well worn

"my passengers was so happy with the experience that he removed his jacket and gave it to me." That must have been one heck of a ride. I don't know any pilots that would just give up their flight jackets for one airplane ride. Great jacket by the way. It may cost a little money to refurbish, but I think it will be well worth it.

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
Treetopflyer said:
"my passengers was so happy with the experience that he removed his jacket and gave it to me." That must have been one heck of a ride. I don't know any pilots that would just give up their flight jackets for one airplane ride. Great jacket by the way. It may cost a little money to refurbish, but I think it will be well worth it.

Great story, amazing the crap they come up with. lol lol

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
you just really don't like this jacket, eh? Good thing I'm not a leather jacket guy and don't care if the knits are original or if it's missing the tag, or if it's in perfect, original condition with no later repairs. Not collector of leather stuff, and as far as jumping on anything that looks old, I think I pretty much know my stuff, just not the intricacies of leather flight jackets, but that's okay because they don't really interest me. I'm not buying up everything I see, I'm buying one, this one, because I want something that I don't have to worry about messing up.

The first part of the story- questionable- but the second part, the thirty years of being a passenger jacket for airplane rides, certainly looks to be true from the wear on it.

I was looking for a jacket the equivalent of my Brent Adventurer, a hat with a half dollar sized hole in the crown, a hat that has had most of its brim sewn back on, a hat that's great for when I wouldn't want to risk something like one of my pure beaver stetsons.

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
Dinerman said:
you just really don't like this jacket, eh?

No, I don't, although it was cheap enough, I think the story is BS and I sure can't be a cheerleader for a jacket that is in the shape this one is in. IMO and this is only my opinion, the jacket will cost too much to repair regardless of the initial cost. I have done this very same thing before and found out it wasn't worth it for me. Maybe you will be happy with it. Who knows. I wish you the best of luck.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman- I'm sorry if I have contributed to any negativity, not my intention but that eBay story is so hokey that it made me (me and my condition)immediately look at the jacket and question the Korean-war-ness
of it.

I can see from what you've written here and the benefit of several years of reading your posts, that you have actually zero intention of spending money on repairing the jacket.

This thread seems to have gone in a wrong direction and spiralled out of control.

People should read Dinerman's original post again.

Hi Steve.

B
T

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Not at all, Bellytank. That's pretty much why I posted it here questioning the date, that whole giving it to the pilot because he liked the ride part made me question listing copy and the actual date of the jacket, whether it was actually '50s, as stated, or just beat to hell '70s.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
D-man, I, for one, "get it".

If it doesn't smell funky then it's just the sort of thing I'd pay twenty-ish bucks for and be glad I did.

However, if I were the type to buy anything old and waste my time with the hassles of extensive (and expensive) repairs on these types of jackets and then later in life feel foolish and bitter about it, then I'd probably sound foolish and bitter as well.

Though I can only hope, for my own sake, that I'd still have enough class not to take it out on others.

:D

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
admiring 'wear'

Apparently it's in fairly poor shape, but I've been looking for an old beater, so it's exactly what I've wanted. A little leather conditioner, some patching of the liner, and I should be good to go

i've been looking for a woman like that for a long time

SamReu

One of the Regulars
Spokes Man

OK, I cannot stay quiet after reading this. Dinerman, that jacket is just fine. No, it's more than fine. It is superb for the purposes you described. Wear it happily. I happen to have one that is a whole lot like yours. No, it is not perfect -- far from it, in fact -- but it wears well and looks good.

Can you honestly expect more from a piece of apparel than that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy