Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

USA Shirt Makers of the Past

anselmo1

One of the Regulars
One of my favorite button down collar shirts by a manufacturer in the 1960's was the Eagle Shirt Company. The dress shirts were made like no other at that time. Sadly, they went out of business.

Hathaway shirts were my second choice and now they have gone out of business in the USA. I read where a Canadian company now makes them and they have their own web site:

http://www.hathawaystore.com/budosh.html

Any other shirt makers that come to mind?

cookie

I'll Lock Up
anselmo1 said:
One of my favorite button down collar shirts by a manufacturer in the 1960's was the Eagle Shirt Company. The dress shirts were made like no other at that time. Sadly, they went out of business.

Hathaway shirts were my second choice and now they have gone out of business in the USA. I read where a Canadian company now makes them and they have their own web site:

http://www.hathawaystore.com/budosh.html

Any other shirt makers that come to mind?

Funny enough I have seen a few old Eagle suits round the traps in Aussie recently and they are beautifully made for something 40 years old

PenMan

Familiar Face
I have picked up a couple Eagle shirts, new, in recent days. I have found them at good (but not necessarily top of the line) department stores. In fact, I am wearing one now. It has a stitch around the cuffs just over an inch from the end. The paperwork that came with the shirt said that this was a traditional thing that served as a crease so that you could roll up the cuff to that point when you get to work, then unroll it when you leave. That way the dirt and ink that you get from handling paper is hidden when you leave the office. Very cool in my opinion.

Anyone know if this is the same company referred to above. This Eagle shirtmaker claims to be the manufacturer for some of America's better known brands.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I once had some vintage Manhattan shirts that were pretty dang nice.
I also harbor some affection for the brand because it was owned by the family of Lud Gluskin, the old time orchestra leader and music director for CBS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass