Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

USAAF Kit

B-24J

One of the Regulars
There are some posts which talk about USAAF issued equipment, but here are five actual forms. Also, three images from the "Pilots' Information File".

The parachute was issued at the time of a flight. This, I believe, was also true of the oxygen bottle.

Co-Pilot B-24, 1944-45, North Africa - Southern Italy

Check-List-1b.jpg

Check-List-2b.jpg

Check-List-3b.jpg

Check-List-4b.jpg

Check-List-5b.jpg

Parachute-Information.jpg

F-2_Information.jpg

F-3_Information.jpg

John

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Simply Brilliant!!! Thanks for that. It confirms some of what I've seen in photos, answers some questions, maybe raises others. I'll be studying this post more closely when I'm more awake.

Matt

Sgt Brown

One of the Regulars
Surprised to see the issue of M1 Garands at all. M1 carbines to officers, yes. Garands, no. Same goes for some of the other newer equipment. On the other hand, this list is dated 1944. It has always been my understanding that "non infantry" personnel (like maintenance personnel, support troops, etc), were issued WWI leftovers like mess kits, canteens, M1923 packs, etc., and M1903 or M1903A3 rifles. Until the older stuff was used up, all the "good stuff" went to the troops on the front line.

Anyhow, my "junk on a bunk" display for my Sgt gunner is made up of leftover gear mixed with newer uniform items.

Tom

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Tommy Gun

It has always been my understanding that "non infantry" personnel (like maintenance personnel, support troops, etc), were issued WWI leftovers like mess kits, canteens, M1923 packs, etc., and M1903 or M1903A3 rifles. Until the older stuff was used up, all the "good stuff" went to the troops on the front line.
Tom
Here is my late father in England , 1944. He was first issued a M1A carbine, then the Thompson! Still not sure why a Sergeant in the AAF need a Tommy gun in Great Britain for! He was popular with his men on target practice days.
GroundCrew2.jpg

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Dad fired the Tommy gun before going overseas, and that's what they were issued on Guadalcanal in 1945 (no more Japanese then). Apparently no one actually fighting really like carrying the Tommy gun anymore by that time. A Carbine is probably half the weight of a Tommy gun, and the ammunition is half round for round also.

Later

B-24J

One of the Regulars
Here are a few more lists.

The Turner Field Exchange list of items are purchases prior to going overseas. There are three pages (Only the first one is shown here) all dated April 4, 1944. The other two pages are for a couple poplin shirts and more insignia. All the pages are the same list of items. I do not know why there were three separate purchases. They were rung up at the same time and all signed. Check out those prices!
Turner_List-b.jpg

The Individual Check List are front and back of the form. They are similar to the other forms I posted.
Indiv-Check-List-Pg_1b-1.jpg

Indin-Check-List-Pg_2-b.jpg

The Issue Record is also much the same as the previous forms. But it does show the A-2 as being issued.
Issue-Record-b.jpg

After the Victory in Europe, my Dad ferried B-25s and C-47s to the U.S.
Property_Return-b.jpg

Note that he was issued B-10 jacket in 1944 and a B-15 after the war.
Memphis-b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner