Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Using a Conformer?

Castor Dioscuri

New in Town
Hi all,

This is my first post, and I'm anxiously awaiting my first Art Fawcett fedora! One of the questions though, is how exactly to use a conformer? More specifically, how tight should it be? I searched the site, but found no answers, so can someone please tell me if I did this right?

At first, I thought to push the conformer so that it had a tight and perfect fit, but I quickly rationalized that if I did that, the hat would probably be too tight for comfort. So what I ended up doing was loosening all the rivets, stick my head into the conformer, and then tighten the rivets. Is this a good idea, or would that be too loose?

Thanks!

L

Laurence

call Art

Call Art, he will spend all the time you need to explain to you how to adjust the conformer.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Put it on, tighten it so that it's snug, but not creating holes in your head. You want it loose enough so you can actually remove it from your head. Art will make the hat loose enough to fit your head based on the shape you send him.

And, as Laurence said, just call Art.

fatwoul

Practically Family
According to what I have read here and elsewhere, you should aim to fit the conformer to your head comfortably; about the same as you would want from the hat to be made. As I understand it, the most important part of the process is making sure the conformer is on the correct part of your head, and that it describes the line you want the sweatband to lie on.

Art is very helpful, and responsive to PM, email and phone calls, but also keep in mind that not only is he experienced in the production of hats, but also experienced in helping newcomers/new hat wearers get the hat they want. You need to feel free to contact him with any questions, and need to trust him to create the hat you are after, fitting you the way you would like it to.

If you're not too self conscious, it might be helpful to other people to see some pictures of you using the conformer - I for one would be very interested to see it, since I only have some recent experience of the hulking great conformateurs you wear like a hat. It might reassure other members to see Art's conformers in use, etc.

I found an old thread which I think used to have such pictures in it, but the picture links seemed to have died some time ago.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
According to what I have read here and elsewhere, you should aim to fit the conformer to your head comfortably; about the same as you would want from the hat to be made.

Not necessarily true fatwoul. First, the conformer should be tight against your head, not headache tight, but tight. your should be able to take it off, then put it back on. Correct, the placement is important. You need to place it exactly where your hat should be worn. If you do this, you can cock it any way you want and still fit. If you place it with a cocked position chances are good it will be too tight to fit any other way. I also ask for a soft tape measurement so that I can double check the fit in shop, plus it will alert me if something is wrong.
All in all, it's pretty simple.

Barry

Practically Family
What is the device that hatters use to measure the inside circumference of a hat? I saw something like this at a custom hat shop recently and I thought it was pretty neat. Basically, the hatter rests the hat on the device and he can measure the size. It seemed to be spring loaded and had a dial and markings which listed common hat sizes.

Barry

tm3

Familiar Face
CD having been through this process, and having concerns similar to yours, if i were doing it again i would set the conformer at the widest part of my head, and adjust so that the tabs were just touching my head -- not tight enough that the conformer would stay on when released (probably need an assistant to help with this).

you can pad a hat that is too loose, but you can't undo a hat that is too tight.

round trip shipping for adjustments is quite expensive.

might be a good idea to request that a band be assembled from some scrap material and sent to you as a preliminary fit check before the final product.

good luck!

Topper

Vendor
Barry said:
What is the device that hatters use to measure the inside circumference of a hat?

Hat Sizer
Hat Scissors
Hatter's Ring
Hatter's Compass

Goes via many different names and a number of different varities, you can get antique ones on ebay or there is a firm that still makes them new.

One assumes the "conformer" discussed here is the modern Plastic "halo" varient?

tm3

Familiar Face
Topper said:
One assumes the "conformer" discussed here is the modern Plastic "halo" varient?

that is what i'm referring to -- plastic ring with multiple "tabs" spaced about 1/2" apart each adjustable for depth by turning a wing nut.

One of the Regulars
Topper said:
Hat Sizer
Hat Scissors
Hatter's Ring
Hatter's Compass

Goes via many different names and a number of different varities, you can get antique ones on ebay or there is a firm that still makes them new.

Can you tell us the name of this company, good sir?

mooglesrcute

New in Town
Any advice for using a conformer?

Hi, I decided to buy my first real hat, and decided to go with Art Fawcett.

I just got the conformer today, and frankly am a little intimidated by it because I've never used such a device.

I'm quite afraid of making a mistake here, thereby ruining the fit of my hat

Any general advice for a first timer?

Thanks

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
There is a long discussion about Art's device. My initial search doesn't turn it up. The discussion includes photos, etc. I think it may be imbedded in the Art Fawcett thread. Have you checked over there?

BR Gordon

One Too Many
If you don't get the advice here that makes you comfortable with the conformer. I would suggest that you call or email Art.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
If you don't get the advice here that makes you comfortable with the conformer. I would suggest that you call or email Art.

What he said.....

But if you want to give a try first..... have someone help you.. put the conformer where you usually wear your hats and just snug the screws up....

Again, if you are uncomfortable, call Art, he will be more than willing to help you out.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
mooglesrcute, The first time I used the conformer I was very unsure about how it worked, I tried to make it more complicated than it was. Take your time, make sure that it's in the position where you want to wear your hat, and if you try to adjust it two or three times and nothing changes each time, than you should be good to go.

good luck BR

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What he said.....
But if you want to give a try first..... have someone help you.. put the conformer where you usually wear your hats and just snug the screws up....
Again, if you are uncomfortable, call Art, he will be more than willing to help you out.

Hi

You'll need help with this. Trace the oval you get in cardboard, cut out the hole and then see if "your new hat" fits. If it does, then mail back the conformer AND the cardboard. I made copies of the drawing that I originally sent to Roy Jackson and sent them to Mike Moore. Both hats fit great. It doesn't get much better than that.

If you don't have help with the conformer, you might take some 12-2 with ground wire and wrap it around your head marking where the ends meet. Trace that and check with the cardboard.

Later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner