Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

USPS Rates Go Up in January

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
SayCici said:
Are you saying you are hoping for this to happen, or what?

I hope they are able to work out some kind of solution. I personally have a number of relatives who are employed by the USPS or have been in the past (this is where my dad's retirement check comes from) and, as the second-largest civilian employer behind Wal-Mart, I cannot imagine just how many lives or businesses (especially small businesses) will be negatively affected were they to completely tank.

No, I truly hope it never happens, but there is a growing movement of pundits saying it should.
Considering that you can still get a letter from point a to point b in three days for less than a half a buck, it's not a bad service.
And yes, it is going up, but that can mostly be pinned on OIL prices, just like the hikes in groceries and all the other stuff we buy.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
If it helps any, I have found that many vintage items clock in just under four pounds if you do not use a box. Vintage suits or coats for example. So, I don't use boxes for overseas so i can keep it under four pounds and still ship first class instead of priority. Saves just enough to be able to ship for what seems to be a reasonable rate to buyers. I wrap in plastic bag, then paper bag, with a lot of tape. I once shipped a large suit that I had to get rid of the paper bag and just go plastic and tape, but I did it.

If it is shoues, then I wrap in bubble wrap first. I have never had a complaint yet. I think they don't mind the method as hey know it keeps the price down. of course, I generally sell clothing and shoes, not breakables.

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThesFlishThngs

First we lost the option of surface mail overseas, ...

Don't look at me!

Sorry - couldn't resist a bit of humor in that. ;)

As for the rates going up...again...

*sigh*
indifferent0001.gif

Foofoogal

Banned
I am sorry reetpleat but have no idea how you do this and it has worked for you. I just received a garment in a flimsy box like you would use for a Christmas present. The box had come open and luckily the contents had almost spilled out and lost but not quite.
Now a mail bag made for clothing yes. It will save money some but I still hesitate even on them. The nylon ones.

Talbot

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
No, I truly hope it never happens, but there is a growing movement of pundits saying it should.
Considering that you can still get a letter from point a to point b in three days for less than a half a buck, it's not a bad service.
And yes, it is going up, but that can mostly be pinned on OIL prices, just like the hikes in groceries and all the other stuff we buy.

While oil prices are a significant cost driver, postal services around the world are trying to respond (in various ways) to significant declines in volume bought about through a poor economic climate.

While politicians 'talk up' the economy, low shipping volumes continue to be a usefull business/business and business/consumer economic activity indicator.

Abyss

Familiar Face
I am related to a supervisor in the USPS, so I can give a somewhat insider's look at the rates increases. Perhaps one of the main reasons that the USPS is increasing rates is because the USPS is trying its absolute hardest to keep its employees employed, despite the economy increasingly turning away from the postal service. Enormous postal sorting machines which used to run 24/7 are now only used during December, entire processing and distribution centers are closing down, all due to less money being spent on postal services. People are being encouraged to retire early, and the USPS is hiring less and less people, but so far its tried its best to avoid laying off large amounts of people, despite the financial shortcomings.

However, you can help combat the increase in rates. Next time you decide to write a letter to your mother, don't hop on the computer and open up your e-mail, send a real letter with real postage. It'll be more satisfying to write, the recipient will appreciate the effort which has gone in to it, and you'll be supporting a company which is trying to avoid fire its employees in order to keep its head above water!

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Thanks for the info. Abyss - it sure gives a clearer picture of things.

It would be nice to go back to the 'old days' of writing out letters - there's something far more personal in that than the 'cold' pixel-ized letters of an email.

In email - there is no 'character', but in a handwritten letter there is.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Online bill paying

probably has a lot to do with it too. I only pay my bills online now, so every month that's about 20 stamps I am not using... times millions of people like me... that's a lot of business!

Talbot

One Too Many
One of the problems facing the postal services is that bulk mail volumes are not expected to recover when the financial crisis is over.

Tough times are forcing many mail generators to email. They are not all expected to return to paper.

Expect further price rises...

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
RE w/ regards to online bill paying.

Very good point. I only pay 3 bills per month and none online although people can now pay pretty much nearly everything online. I bet this took a big chunk of money out from the USPS' earnings.

So long as I have few bills to pay - I will just pay the regular way. A 'book' of stamps generally lasts me quite awhile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic