Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Van Page Brown @HoosierDaddy, In Memoriam

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Hoosier is the nickname for people from the US State of Indiana, my neighboring state and where I was born.

There are interesting theories on the origin of this name. Van took the name a bit further in a the most clever way.

Hoosier daddy is a clever play on words which may also have been missed'

several years ago there was a song? with the phrase

"Whose your Daddy"

Hoosier is pronounced like "whose your" hence the clever play on words.

I never confirmed this "play on words" with Van, but I confident this is the origin of HoosierDaddy

Hoosier is the nickname for people from the US State of Indiana, my neighboring state and where I was born.

There are interesting theories on the origin of this name. Van took the name a bit further in a the most clever way.

"Whose your Daddy"

I never confirmed this "play on words" with Van, but I confident this is the origin of HoosierDaddy

Definitely a cool username. That play on words always made me chuckle. And the initials referenced his love of motorcycles. It worked on a number of levels for him.

Peacoat

Bartender

"Whose your Daddy"

Excellent theory. Van joined a few months after me. Don't remember the month, but I joined in January, 2006. If that song predated Van's joining the Lounge, then that was exactly what he was thinking.

Do you have the date of that song?

And the initials of HD are spot on as well, as he had a Harley.

EDIT NOTE: I just looked it up, and Toby Keith's song was released in 2002 with the movie by the same name being released in 2004, both of which predate Van's joining the Lounge. You hit it, Terry!

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Excellent theory. Van joined a few months after me. Don't remember the month, but I joined in January, 2006. If that song predated Van's joining the Lounge, then that was exactly what he was thinking.

Do you have the date of that song?

And the initials of HD are spot on as well, as he had a Harley.

EDIT NOTE: I just looked it up, and Toby Keith's song was released in 2002 with the movie by the same name being released in 2004, both of which predate Van's joining the Lounge. You hit it, Terry!
No idea it was a country singer! or a movie. Just remember the phrase.

Mawashi

One of the Regulars
I'm at a lost for words, he was really nice and helpful when I was searching for a work / travel coat RIP HD!

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Another nuance in HD's screen name word play on "who's your daddy", is that it is also a pretty good-natured (ie not too aggressive) taunt in sporting events among fans. As in "you just got spanked, who's your daddy"?

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
A tribute to Van or our @HoosierDaddy near 6 months since his passing.
I’ve meant to write this for a while. Now seems the right moment.

HD was a lot of things to a lot of people. We loungers here, knew him of his lounge presence. Sometimes taken as somewhat harsh and of a solid opinion on many things. Being near his age i recognized his tenor having grown up in a similar time and environment. Younger individuals may have envisioned or referenced this as the Boomer generation. We all are a reflection of the times we grew up in and represent that in how we present to others here at the lounge or anywhere.

I knew a different HD, one that shared his silent battle with cancer, from the chance meeting of an old high school girl friend who happened to work at the M D Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. He sought treatment there and his life was extended many years because of that chance meeting.
Van shared his personal story with me when he found out my older brother was diagnosed with bone cancer. His concern was passionate and his faith in their treatment was unconditional. He spoke of the state of the art facility and of the unparalleled level of personal care given him during his many many visits to Houston.
This i passed on as i have to my ex-wife, who today is in Houston seeking their care and i’m sure Van would selflessly share with others in need of such treatment.
He was much, much more than what we saw here.

The Van, the Hoosier Daddy i knew was a kind and caring man of unwavering integrity who spoke his mind even if it ruffled a few feathers knowing that as adults we should be able to handle it. In a nutshell that was him.
Much respect for that Hoosier Daddy!
And yes he’d tell you your jacket was too short when others wouldn’t. Lol

Too that, HD gave a gift that keeps on giving even after he’s gone.
We should all be such an individual.
I definitely would want a man like HD in my foxhole and i hope he would feel the same.

Thanks HD.
Until we meet again, rest well.
Bowen[/USER]

Last edited:

Tom71

Call Me a Cab

HD was a lot of things to a lot of people. We loungers here, knew him of his lounge presence. Sometimes taken as somewhat harsh and of a solid opinion on many things. Being near his age i recognized his tenor having grown up in a similar time and environment. Younger individuals may have envisioned or referenced this as the Boomer generation. We all are a reflection of the times we grew up in and represent that in how we present to others here at the lounge or anywhere.

I knew a different HD, one that shared his silent battle with cancer, from the chance meeting of an old high school girl friend who happened to work at the M D Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. He sought treatment there and his life was extended many years because of that chance meeting.
Van shared his personal story with me when he found out my older brother was diagnosed with bone cancer. His concern was passionate and his faith in their treatment was unconditional. He spoke of the state of the art facility and of the unparalleled level of personal care given him during his many many visits to Houston.
This i passed on as i have to my ex-wife, who today is in Houston seeking their care and i’m sure Van would selflessly share with others in need of such treatment.

The Van, the Hoosier Daddy i knew was a kind and caring man of unwavering integrity who spoke his mind even if it ruffled a few feathers knowing that as adults we should be able to handle it. In a nutshell that was him.

I definitely would want a man like HD in my foxhole and i hope he would feel the same.

Thanks HD.
Bowen[/USER]

Thank you. I think this is a great text.

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Thanks HD.
Bowen[/USER]
Thank you Bowen!!

Imuricecreamman

One Too Many

Thanks HD.
Bowen[/USER]
Thank you for this.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Very sad to hear this. He will certainly be missed on here. I respected him and his contributions to the lounge. My condolences to his family and friends.

On a lighter note, I will never forget his screen name. Hoosier Daddy is one of the best pun user names of all time IMO.

Last edited:

Torvic

Familiar Face
Browsing the forum today I came across this thread, I have been a member of this forum for about a month and browsing it for another month or two, and I have been reading many of HoosierDaddy's comments as well as some stories he told about James Dean .
Thanks to members like him I have been able to acquire a lot of knowledge about leather jackets in this forum, I have recently discovered my passion for these garments (about a year ago) and my first quality jacket has been acquired thanks to all the information I have obtained here .
Despite having been there for a short time, I have read a lot, a lot, and he was always present giving his opinion and transmitting his wisdom. When I found out about the news today, I was quite shocked, even without having ever dealt with him.
I have unfortunately lost family members at a young age to cancer and I understand the exhausting fight against that terrible adversity. Much support to everyone who is in that fight.

Rest in peace HoosierDaddy, and my condolences to family and friends.

53Effie

A-List Customer
I have been a member here since 2009 I believe. I don't post much. I always have have enjoyed HD's posts and learned much about leather jackets from following him. I have a Highwayman from 2009 that was influenced by Van. He made several nice comments on some other custom made jackets that I purchased. That really made me feel good because I valued his opinion.
I am so sorry to hear of his passing. Like others I have been concerned about him.
I know he is at peace now and his suffering is over. I'm not sure the Lounge will be quite the same without him.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112