Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Enfield black leather jacket - small cut in forearm

bizrkartendiankirt

Familiar Face
Hello Guys,

I bought a nearly new Vanson Enfield from ebay, for 300€.

But I found a small cut in the forearm.
Will this be a problem in future? Can my jacket break in future, or will it still be a "lifetime" leather jacket?

I ordered leathercraft cement glue, it will arrive tomorrow. Should I use it? When yes, how can I get the glue in the cut, without making the leather surface dirty with glue? Is there a tool which I can use? I thought about a needle.

In the pictures you can see the cut. It goes really deep, when I see correctly.

And one picture where you can see the whole jacket. I think it is the model enfield, but I do not know exactly. Maybe someone here knows.

Thank you very much.

Attachments

• 20230205_194330.jpg
    20230205_194330.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 172
  • 20230205_194355.jpg
    20230205_194355.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 132
  • 20230205_194409.jpg
    20230205_194409.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 158
  • 20230205_194417.jpg
    20230205_194417.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 158
  • 20230205_194429.jpg
    20230205_194429.jpg
    886.5 KB · Views: 159
  • 20230205_194437.jpg
    20230205_194437.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 164
  • 20230202_110354.jpg
    20230202_110354.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 200

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Glue might help or it might not, it depends how perpendicular to the leather the cut is and how deep.
Either way it won't get worst unless you play with it.
Leather is fibrous, it's not like a crack in glass that will keep on getting bigger. You could still wear this jacket for twenty years without that cut getting bigger.

If it was me i would try to glue it, using a toothpick to push the glue in and wiping all excess with a damp cloth while it is wet, then press it shut and leave it for 24h.

If that doesn't work just wear it and enjoy it, it's fine.

bizrkartendiankirt

Familiar Face
Glue might help or it might not, it depends how perpendicular to the leather the cut is and how deep.
Either way it won't get worst unless you play with it.
Leather is fibrous, it's not like a crack in glass that will keep on getting bigger. You could still wear this jacket for twenty years without that cut getting bigger.

If it was me i would try to glue it, using a toothpick to push the glue in and wiping all excess with a damp cloth while it is wet, then press it shut and leave it for 24h.

If that doesn't work just wear it and enjoy it, it's fine.
Ok, thank you very much!!!

The cut doesn't bother me if it doesn't get bigger by itself and I can wear the jacket without any problems!

I just thought I had to be afraid it would get worse.

It seems like the cut is straight...and it seems like the cut goes through, or he is about to. not much holds together anymore

I'll try that with the toothpick and glue! Thanks very much!

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Epoxy glue might work as well. Use very little, I used a tiny drop on the tip of a needle and spread it inside the cut back and forth with a needle, both sides of the cut. Then shut the cut tightly as Carlos said, that will squeeze out some glue, wipe it off right away. Keep it squeezed shut for a few hours, preferably 24 hours I put a couple of heavy books on mine to keep the cut shut. It should hold, as the cut does not seem to be in a high stress area.

bizrkartendiankirt

Familiar Face
I am a idiot. It did not work perfect with fiebings leathercraft water based cement glue, so I used a little bit superglue. A little bit of it was at the borders and I wanted to remove it and used a little bit ethanole... not the sheen/gloss/polish is gone in this place. I used also a little bit black shoe creme, I do not know if it comes from the ethanole or shoe creme, because i used really a minimum of the ethanole.

After that I used Honey leather oil conditioner, but exactly at this place, the leather does not absorbs it. I tried also leather milk.

Is the leather damaged now? The color does not disturbs me, so if this is not a problem, I would leave it as it is.

Or can I try another supplement?

Picture 1: without honey leather oil conditioner
Picture 2: with (Here you can see, around the place, the leather absorbs it. When I use more, also the place absorbs it a little bit, it fills the pores, but not as much as the other places.)

Attachments

• 20230213_114239.jpg
    20230213_114239.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 121
  • 20230213_114835.jpg
    20230213_114835.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 112

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Yep, you did something that removed the top coat.
It will most likely never be the same again unforturtunately.
Stop playing with it you will only make it worst.

Yeah. Topcoat is kaput. I’ve used Renaissance crystalline wax to give a bit of topcoat and sheen, but time to move on and wear the heck out of it. Urad would work, I have the black but clear good too.

Nothing to worry about. At all. The jacket is fine. No need to do anything. I use it almost exclusively on the vintage jackets that roll through my hands. Many times I don’t. When I get bored and do, I use the smallest of small amounts of— Renaissance and it can be found on Amazon. The little $20 tin has lasted me 6 years and will go another 20 at least. Probably more. I’ve used the wax on boots and rings too.

Urad is the name of the other topcoat-like product.

bizrkartendiankirt

Familiar Face
Nothing to worry about. At all. The jacket is fine. No need to do anything. I use it almost exclusively on the vintage jackets that roll through my hands. Many times I don’t. When I get bored and do, I use the smallest of small amounts of— Renaissance and it can be found on Amazon. The little $20 tin has lasted me 6 years and will go another 20 at least. Probably more. I’ve used the wax on boots and rings too.

Urad is the name of the other topcoat-like product.
This one??? https://www.amazon.de/Renaissance-x...eywords=Renaissance+Wax&qid=1676299559&sr=8-3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ