Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Model B opinion

dylon

New in Town
Hi All, newbie here, 1st post!

Ii didn't want to start another thread about the same thing, but i thought i should share, I too am a new owner of a Vanson Model B albeit, mine's used. Always wanted a decent leather jacket but the perfecto was too flashy for me. Looked around and got some opinions, and ended up quite liking the simple ageless cafe racer. Paid what i felt a a great price for it, got it blind, just based on what i read and what i saw on the internet, thinking back, it was something quite brave cos i honestly wouldn't know what to do with it if it didn't fit.

Also I did something most are quite against (at least from what i read), i washed in the machine.

here are some pictures, i'm not sure it'll work, but either way, there would be a link to the album.

1st 2 pictures are straight out of packing.

IMG_6120 by chewyicecube, on Flickr

IMG_6121 by chewyicecube, on Flickr

after wash, towel dry and worn straight for 3hrs, in air conditioned room

IMG_6138 by chewyicecube, on Flickr

IMG_6143 by chewyicecube, on Flickr

IMG_6146 by chewyicecube, on Flickr

IMG_6137 by chewyicecube, on Flickr

IMG_6147 by chewyicecube, on Flickr

and if anyone doubted that Vanson Comp Leather is tough & sturdy.

IMG_6145 by chewyicecube, on Flickr

sorry for the long post but i hope this helped getting more pictures up regarding Vanson Model B.

i'll try to get some fit pics but that would mean engaging the wife to help, which is always not a good idea.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Hi All, newbie here, 1st post!

Ii didn't want to start another thread about the same thing, but i thought i should share, I too am a new owner of a Vanson Model B albeit, mine's used. Always wanted a decent leather jacket but the perfecto was too flashy for me. Looked around and got some opinions, and ended up quite liking the simple ageless cafe racer. Paid what i felt a a great price for it, got it blind, just based on what i read and what i saw on the internet, thinking back, it was something quite brave cos i honestly wouldn't know what to do with it if it didn't fit.

Nice looking jacket! Would love the see the lining after your wash. I am pretty sure the Vanson comp. leather can easily take any washing as I wore mine a couple of times under monsoon rain. What I suggest is to get the Vanson leather balm (more like lotion) to preserve the leather after the washing.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Nice jacket. You may want to treat it after washing it, though, especially if it is so stiff again that it stands by itself. You don't want that leather to become brittle and break.

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
Why the Fugg did it need washed anyways ? Looked allrighty to me !

I have had leather jackets go 25+ years and never be "washed".

Not being cheeky , just curious. My Vanson Comet is "new" of course , but no way I would machine wash it...

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Another nice thing about Vanson is the quality of their patterns. Somebody who really understood ergonomics and how a body moves had a hand in that process for sure. The way the sleeve connects to the jacket and the curve of the arm panels make their jackets quite comfortable and easy to move around in once the leather breaks in.
Absolutely concur. This is very important, once you master the ergonomics, the stiffness doesn't matter (and it wont "hurt to wear"). Vanson by far is the least hurting to wear jacket, counting Schott, which is not even thick. Once a Vanson is broken it, it truly becomes second skin (and it's not lambskin!).

I don't have the gibblets to machine wash a jacket. Be interested to read your thoughts on the leather, post-wash.

dylon

New in Town
woah, didn't expect so much feedback...

i'll try to reply them all;

justhandguns:
I will snap some pictures later and post them here. not much changed. it did look cleaner, and smells nicer. as for the softening it up, I just ordered a tub of pecards for motorcycle wear. not sure if it's too much, I also have a tub of obenaufs, maybe I should just go with something light like lexol conditioner?

Monitor:
I agree it looks better after wash + 3hrs of wear with it damp. it was really shiny and squezky, now it is a touch matte and not as squeaky for sure. it also doesn't feel very soft now, but it was really stiff to start with.

jacketjunkie:
I thought I should but not too sure what I should put on it. do you think one of the above is good?

downunder G man:
honestly this is something that I wouldn't get to wear much where I am, (30 degrees upwards all year round), I bought it because I always lusted after one, saw one on ebay for a good price and decided to take a shot. it came with a little funky smell, even after airing for a couple of days it didn't help. and I read that vanson are really tough so I though a wash wouldn't be the worst thing to happen to it.

JMax:
let me tell you how I washed it and you decide if you want to give it a shot.
delicate setting with woolite black, wash and rinse 2x in lukewarm water. then towel dried and worn for 3hrs. and you see is the after as per pictures. the leather hardened up a little. after 24hrs, totally dry after about 48hrs.
I tried to wear it for about 2hrs the last couple of days after the initial 3hrs. I'm not sure if it helped but it does feel softer now, and the creases are "there" after the initial 3hrs wear but are more defined now. think I will try to continue to wear it for a couple of hours everyday if possible. albeit in an air-conditioned room.

HoosierDaddy:
right on, I knew of the risks, and the results, decided to take the risk. I think I did alright, but yea I totally understand everyone who is against doing this.

think I replied to all the queries.

now I have a question.
as I mentioned above it is a little hard and stiff, should I try to do a light coat of "something"? lexol, pecards, obenaufs or something else?

thanks!

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I use Pecards on my leather jackets and I highly recommend it. I apply it as lightly as possible and then rub it in with a horsehair brush afterwards. After 24 hours I usually wipe off any excess with a cotton towel or rag. Depending on how dry the jacket is there usually is not too much excess oil left on the surface.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
^^I agree with this, Pecards is good stuff.

So do you live in a climate that is 30C or 30F as a minimum? If 30C, I imagine you won't be wearing it out very much?

As for washing, sounds like you knew the risk and took it in good faith, I really don't think you hurt it any. As for the smell, that's a really good point, there are odors, such as being in a musty basement, or a smoky room, that just really are difficult to get out of leather once it's in there. I had a nice CR jacket a few years back that smelled for all the world like baby powder, of all things. Never tried the wash idea, but plenty of leather treatments, airing out, etc never did any good. Finally sold it at a loss, I have a little sensitivity to smell.

Hope that Vanson starts becoming your second skin!

dylon

New in Town
^^I agree with this, Pecards is good stuff.

So do you live in a climate that is 30C or 30F as a minimum? If 30C, I imagine you won't be wearing it out very much?

As for washing, sounds like you knew the risk and took it in good faith, I really don't think you hurt it any. As for the smell, that's a really good point, there are odors, such as being in a musty basement, or a smoky room, that just really are difficult to get out of leather once it's in there. I had a nice CR jacket a few years back that smelled for all the world like baby powder, of all things. Never tried the wash idea, but plenty of leather treatments, airing out, etc never did any good. Finally sold it at a loss, I have a little sensitivity to smell.

Hope that Vanson starts becoming your second skin!

30degree C. so yea, won't get to wear it much, but i think it will be the go-to now once i get any chance to travel...

as for the smell part, i am not exactly sure what it is, but after the wash all i smell is a light wiff of woolite, which is great.

good to know everyone loves pecards, now i'll just have to wait for it to get here.

not sure if it mental but the jacket does seem to be fit a bit better with every 2-3hrs of wear i put in to it, hopefully it will be ready for my trip in end Mar.

will update again once i get the pecards in, and applied.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
All of the conditioners you have mentioned are considered suitable for leather jackets and all of them have their own fanbase. Any of these will do.

Personally, I use Vansons own conditioner for my Vanson jackets, but I use Lexol on everything else; Aeros, vtg jackets, etc.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VANSON-Black-Leather-Motorcycle-Cafe-Racer-Jacket-40-Medium/192482155469

Someone ought to immediately buy this. The best leather jacket on the planet practically for free. This is their naked, super heavy hide. Much heavier than what they currently use and no plastic-y overcoat. Best of the best.

s-l1600.jpg

Hh121

Banned
How do you know it is much heavier than current one?? And naked cowhide? It looks exactly same as mine, even with measurements

How do you know it is much heavier than current one?? And naked cowhide? It looks exactly same as mine, even with measurements

My Trucker jacket is made from the same hide. Of course, I could be mistaken as I base my assumption on the photos in the listing but I'm nevertheless 99% sure I'm right. I had a few current production Vanson jackets and the new, shiny hide they use is marginally lighter. Model A I had was actually substantially less heavy. This jacket in the listing is made from the leather that is more mate in colour, not as shiny and softer. It's not as waterproof, from my observation. It's very similar to Schott's naked cowhide, only heavier.

They're really completely different types of leather, the stuff they've been using compared to their recent jackets. No mistaking them.

EDIT: And yeah, I may have exaggerated a bit - it's not MUCH heavier but it's definitely a more substantial hide. Here's another one in the same leather.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/in-love-with-an-old-er-vanson-enfield.84909/

Last edited:
Yeah, the Highwayman I just received is their older stuff and different from all the other newer Vanson I own. Still heavy like Monitor describes. I enjoy the newer stuff and prefer the look. This is perhaps more subdued but it will have a spot in the rotation for sure. Easier to wear I suppose but I do like to definitely feel the jacket on me. This is a bit, only a bit, “easier to wear”.

Btw, there is a kick ass Vanson leather and suede trucker jacket on eBay now. In case anyone interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner