Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vanson Model B opinion

ksozay

One Too Many
@Monitor Good spot on the eBay Vanson. That didn't last long!

My elbows will strongly confirm that Vanson leather is pretty stiff (their Comp weight hide). I'm still waiting for mine to break-in but haven't had the chance to wear it more than a handful of times. That said, every time I have worn that jacket, I realize it's not one I'd ever part with. Just a very well made jacket.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Is it me, or is the arm/shoulder fit really weird on that jacket!
It looks like even @ton312's guns aren't enough to fit the oversized sleeves, and all the fit pictures posted previously have weird boxy/pointy shoulders!

Looks like this guy is probably their model:

3916941500000578-3821224-image-a-62_1475580330972.jpg

Is it me, or is the arm/shoulder fit really weird on that jacket!
It looks like even @ton312's guns aren't enough to fit the oversized sleeves, and all the fit pictures posted previously have weird boxy/pointy shoulders!

Looks like this guy is probably their model:

View attachment 110520

Huh, I'd say that with vintage Vanson, it's the exact opposite. They've got super trim sleeves. In fact, if I remember correctly, @312ton actually sold one for that reason! :D One I got has very trim sleeves, so much that I can barely move if I'm wearing a shirt or something...

Shoulders are a bit squared but I dig that.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
@Monitor Good spot on the eBay Vanson. That didn't last long!

My elbows will strongly confirm that Vanson leather is pretty stiff (their Comp weight hide). I'm still waiting for mine to break-in but haven't had the chance to wear it more than a handful of times. That said, every time I have worn that jacket, I realize it's not one I'd ever part with. Just a very well made jacket.
2 thirty minute installments on an elliptical trainer (the one where your arms move like cross country skiing) and my jacket arms are like butter. Done in a public space may draw stares.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
To the sleeve sizing question: yes, i find the biceps of the jacket to be more roomy than most other jackets with a comparable chest size. For me that aspect fits well. The remainder of the sleeve tapers super tight (to fit under glove gauntlet) so that may exaggerate the appearance. The pointy shoulder thing is weird. Could it be the union of heavy leathers at the seam causes it?
b9b348735fdb42eae91e9ffaf93b9a84.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
To the sleeve sizing question: yes, i find the biceps of the jacket to be more roomy than most other jackets with a comparable chest size. For me that aspect fits well. The remainder of the sleeve tapers super tight (to fit under glove gauntlet) so that may exaggerate the appearance. The pointy shoulder thing is weird. Could it be the union of heavy leathers at the seam causes it?
b9b348735fdb42eae91e9ffaf93b9a84.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do think that the reason for the pointy shoulders is the multiple panels of leather that come together at the shoulders, front panel, back panel, sleeve panel, thats 3mm+ of stiff comp weight leather... the leather may soften up and the shoulders relax and form better to the body, however that will certainly take time. i believe it already got better with my jacket though, so there's hope.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I’ve had a few opportunities to use the B on the bike, which for me was the intended purpose of the aquisition. As i rode around yesterday i attempted to gather some thoughts to update this thread. The most obvious realization is that any review worth using for this jacket would need to be either 1 written in installments over time or 2 written after the jacket had a year or two of heavy use. The reason being that comp weight is a force to be reckoned with and my guess is that once it’s fully broken in it will be another jacket entirely. So, at any rate, i will choose option 1 and document as i go along. It is my suspcion that overtime i will contradict myself. This is just 1 persons opinion as of today.
1. The Leather: A beautiful sight to behold. In short, it should probably be the picture used in websters under the definition of a mc jacket. But..... here’s where i think it gets a little tricky. Does the leather need to be that tough for the average rider? My guess is no. Bare with me. In a crash, there is impact trauma and abrasion trauma. If one selects the Model B for riding they forego the impact protection Vanson offers in other jackets with armor. Therefore, if saying they want comp weight for “protection” then it’s a bit of a half truth. Saftey is a factor, but not the only one. They would want both safety and useful appearance off of the bike. For abrasion resistance, keep in mind Vanson builds suits for racing “competition”. Competition where the get off is at extremely high speeds. These suits also have armour. This is all just a ramble to arrive at this point: The leather is great, but i think it will take me 3 years (short riding season here) to break in. I think a less robust leather would offer a reasonably close amount of abrasion resistance with less break in time. This admittedly discounts the leathers ability to mold to the owner over time.

Venting: The model B, like most leather bike jackets lacks zippered venting. This is something cordura jackets do well, but this isn’t they nylon forum is it. When selecting a leather jacket for riding one accepts that there are certain compromises.

Fit: I want to address areas seperately. Keep in mind that this is an off the rack model with no customization, which undoubtedly would make a difference.
Chest. My jacket is a 36 and the fit feels correct to the sizing.
Neck. My best guess is that the neck on the 36 is 14.5. That ratio is typical for dress shirts but a little snug for heavy leather. I’m hoping it loosens up a bit upon break in. Not a complete deal breaker either way as I only tend to button the neck when it’s really cold.
Shoulders: Superb. Really outstanding mobility. They seem immune to the leathers stiffness.
Sleeves: upper arm is really unnecessarily big. The joke above with the guy with huge biceps isnt super far off. It would be impossible for anyone to fill out the upper arms and still fit in the forearms. The forearms conversely are great. The jacket zips tight at the wrist which helps the jacket fit neatly under glove gauntlets on chilly days. Unzippered, they remain trim and provide some air flow.
Waist: Standing in the jacket the waist is perfect for me. Seated it’s a little snug (for the record i don’t have a gut).
I was playing around a bit with positioning and the stress in the waist is absent if i were to be leaned over as if on a sport bike. On a crusier with forward controls it is snug. May loosed with time.
Thus far the biggest shortcoming for this jacket compared to its competitors is the zipper starting at the jacket hem. This really pushes the stiff comp weight leather up causing ballooning in the chest. Again, this may be a non issue on a sportier bike. I’m not sure. Other models like the comet seem to avoid this by having a shorter length, stopping at or above the belt line. For a slightly longer jacket like the B, starting the zipper 2” higher would be a huge improvement.

So.... today my opinion is that in time the Model B will make a nice bike jacket. If you are interested in that style of jacket, but don’t ride, i’d look elsewhere. Unless you frequently fend off knife attacks. Which i think it could do. Is “mythbusters” still a tv show? Maybe they could try it.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Doesn't TB offer a two zip version?

...I think they do, albeit it's extremely long.

Yes, they have the two-way zips on their deluxe models. If you look hard enough on the forum, I remember some unlucky owners of Model B actually broke their zippers on their bikes because of the bending posture while riding.

sepa

New in Town
Hi,

I’m interested in your opinion on Vanson model B I recently bought from e-bay for USD282 from Japan including international shipping.

According the seller it’s a Competition weight model B, but beside this he couldn’t provide more information.

I sent a mail to Vanson a week ago with the SN for more information about age and details to the cut but didn’t get a response yet.

The issue I have with it is that it was advertised as condition B, light wear.

But the lining has already several holes, also the leather has many visible wear areas this was all not visible at e-bay. The zipper isn’t that smooth either however I have never seen such a gigantic Zipper. What’s your experience with vanson zippers, maybe that’s normal?

I complained about the condition and the seller would agree to accept a return, but not a discount as I think I will keep it.

I think if the damage and wear would have been advertised and the price would be a bit lower I would be quite happy with it.

What do you think is this is a fair price and good fit, or better return?

1.jpg
2.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
7.jpg
DSC05962.JPG
DSC05964.JPG
DSC05965.JPG
DSC05966.JPG
DSC05967.JPG

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think it looks good.
I would keep it and not be annoyed further.

Unfortunately, I can not say anything about the zipper.

willyto

One Too Many
Hi,

I’m interested in your opinion on Vanson model B I recently bought from e-bay for USD282 from Japan including international shipping.

According the seller it’s a Competition weight model B, but beside this he couldn’t provide more information.

I sent a mail to Vanson a week ago with the SN for more information about age and details to the cut but didn’t get a response yet.

But the lining has already several holes, also the leather has many visible wear areas this was all not visible at e-bay. The zipper isn’t that smooth either however I have never seen such a gigantic Zipper. What’s your experience with vanson zippers, maybe that’s normal?

I complained about the condition and the seller would agree to accept a return, but not a discount as I think I will keep it.

I think if the damage and wear would have been advertised and the price would be a bit lower I would be quite happy with it.

View attachment 479404 View attachment 479405 View attachment 479406 View attachment 479408 View attachment 479409 View attachment 479410 View attachment 479411 View attachment 479412 View attachment 479413 View attachment 479415
It looks good on you. Those stress points always get worn out I wouldn't worry about it.

As long as the zippe works and it's not damaged I would keep it.

Edward

Bartender
Hi,

View attachment 479404 View attachment 479405 View attachment 479406 View attachment 479408 View attachment 479409 View attachment 479410 View attachment 479411 View attachment 479412 View attachment 479413 View attachment 479415

Looks good to me. The problem with buying anything used online will always be that concepts such as "light wear" are inevitably subjective. I don't see anything in these photos that would be a dealbreaker for me. Fit looks good. I don't have sufficient experience of Vanson to know whether that zip is 'normal' for the model, but it wouldn't surprise me. A lot of folks seem to have issues with smaller zips; typically, when big zips are put on bike jackets, the intention is to make it easier to open and close the jacket for folks who want to be able to do so without taking their gloves off. (I suspect this matters more in hotter climates where a rider might choose to open their jacket a bit while in motion.) If your photos are representative, this is definitely a big zipper, though not as comically oversized as many 70s & 80s bike jackets I've seen, or as big as some folks these days seem to insist on. I like the look of shiny brass against the black leather.

The Big Kahuna

New in Town
Use a zipper lubricant stick on the zipper. As soon as I get a "new to me" jacket it's almost the first thing I do.
There are several options on ebay.

Zip Tech.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff