Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vapididity defined: Sorority dress code

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Smithy said:
I'm with Miss Neecerie here. I have a couple of linen shirts and trousers but would not want to wear them on a seriously hot and extremely humid day. The problem with trousers in such conditions is that you will sweat excessively and not just on your lower legs but in (without wanting to go into too much detail) places where it is perhaps best not to be wet and smelly. That may be even more "ungentlemanly" than the sight of some bare legs for those around you ;)

oooh...I had forgotten about the chafing....

Thanks for the bad memories...:eek:

Edward

Bartender
Oh believe me, if it came down to it I'd quite happily never visit certain places if short trousers was truly the only option. I think the most humid place I've ever been was Hong Kong in late May; didn't feel the need for 'em then. May be something to do with boy chemistry, as I'll quite often also wear long sleeves in all temperatures as well. In any case, my dislike for the Sun is pretty pronounced - much prefer rain - so I'll likely not be in the tropics anytime soon. ;)

Oh..... and with reference to sport, here's Fred Perry winning Wimbledon, in sensible trousers ;) :

fredperry.jpg

:p

Apple Annie

New in Town
What I want to know on the theme of shorts is why people wear shorts for rugger in the winter, and trousers for cricket in the summer?

And no one can say that gentlemen don't play rugger :)

Artie

Suspended
Edward said:
Heh heh.... Me too. ;)

Me three, but that's not to say we didn't have our standards. When I was hangin out at the Fab Mab in San Francisco you better believe there was a dress code. All groups no matter how far out of the mainstream they think they are subscribe to the same sets of rules relative to their subset that everybody else does.

Talbot

One Too Many
Apple Annie said:
What I want to know on the theme of shorts is why people wear shorts for rugger in the winter, and trousers for cricket in the summer?

And no one can say that gentlemen don't play rugger :)

Short pants for professional cricket? Heresy I say.

Talbot

One Too Many
Back to the original topic...

I was thinking about this thread the other day, as my daughter will be returning to start her second year at college this week. We have different school schedules down here.

The master requires only one rule be obeyed. Be true to your moral compass.

If the choice was between a college that required such strict conformity, or one that encouraged enquiring minds, I know what I'd pick.

Talbot

Talbot

One Too Many
miss_elise said:
maybe it's lucky we don't have sororities here then... although they do sound like fun...

Its sort of like a sorority. Its one of the residential colleges in Parkville. No studies are offered, except some tuition if asked for. She studies elsewhere.

There is Queens College, Trinity College, St Hilda's, International House, Ormond College etc. Some beautiful old buildings and they have a lot of fun.

There are a lot of activities - choir, debating, rowing, musical performance, and most of all - partying.

Talbot

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Miss Neecerie said:
heh...I don't care how cool the linen is..or how lineny it is.....

go to say ...the amazon or other tropics....and you don't want it past your knees....
trust me...I lived there. ;)
Speaking only from my personal experience, shorts and their partner in crime, short sleeve shirts, are a horrible idea in the amazon. You get eaten up alive if you show any skin. I am not entirely sure how the locals manage to not die of the various diseases one contracts from mostquitos. Those things bite through cloth.

I agree that it is bad when you are in the city, but in the rainforest, it is actually rather comfortable to be wearing long clothing despite the 90+ weather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24