Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Classic/Classy Style in Business Casual Environment

jfruser

New in Town
Howdy:

New poster referred here by one of your members. Quite a nice forum. I mean that both as in "attractive & interesting" and as in tone of the members. Life is too short to voluntarily share the company of abrasive cads.

Objective
My objective is to end with a business casual wardrobe significantly classier than I now maintain. I hope to educate myself over time and strike as the opportunity arises to add some class.

Environment
Engineering/Tech Firm

The dress code at my place of work is quite flexible. The tails of the bell curve are jeans/t-shirt/sneakers on the left and blazer/tie/slacks/button-down/dress shoes on the right. The only suits worn have been by folks interviewing for a job. The mean is cotton khaki pants, polo shirt, and some sort of non-polish leather shoes.

Socially, it provokes quite a stir to wear a jacket without the excuse of customer contact. The assumption is that the wearer is out interviewing for another job. I found this out one month when I decided that "casual Fridays had gone too far" and dressed up each Friday for four straight weeks. I had folks sidling up to me, asking me how the local job market was (wink, nudge) and if I could give them a POC to whomever I was interviewing.

My Current State
I conform to the mean (polo shirt/khaki pants/leather shoes) with the exception of my footwear & a ball cap. All my various shoes & boots are highly polished. An artifact of my father's influence and Uncle Sam's. I wear a ball cap for all the practical reasons wears a hat: keep the head hot/cold, protection from the sun. The ball cap is not worn indoors after I reach my desk.

After my aforementioned experience with dressing up, I have viewed my attire as a uniform. Every day consists of non-clashing polo & khakis.

I. Am. Bored. With. That.

I want to change to something more classy without causing a negative reaction. Now is a good time, since most my khakis* are reaching the end of their useful lives.

Dislikes
I don't want to be dressed in what is currently "in." I want something that is more timelessly classy.

Quality shoes & boots. Most times, my shoes/boots cost twice what my other clothes cost combined. I take care of them and wear them for years, resoling & performing other maintenance when needed

First Thoughts
My first thouht is to go with something similar to what Gary Cooper wears in some scenes in The Fountainhead & For Whom the Bell Tolls.

Fountainhead
fh001.jpg

FWtBT
http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0035896/Ss/0035896/1-4.jpg.html?path=pgallery&path_key=Cooper,%20Gary%20(I)

Substantial, ironed (but perhaps not starched?) collared work shirt. Pleated khakis or wool slacks. Fedora or Panama hat. Tie on days I expect no fiddling with machinery. Quality leather footgear with a polish. Workmanlike hankie on my person, if not displayed.

If you all have any ideas on classy wear, comments on my first thoughts, or suggestions as to vendors who carry classicly-cut pants & shirts, feel free to chime in. I am all ears.

[As a side note: I think it interesting that a movie scene depicting a man performing hard labor has the man dressed better than the majority of people at my company who mostly work in the cube farm.]

* Yep, when I found a style of khakis that fit, I bought one of every color & that set would last me a while and wear out as a set.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Being that I'm an Art Director at a design firm things are really casual, but people are used to my "quirky" wardrobe. I like to emulate the way that animators dressed in the 40's, nice but no nonsense. Take off the jacket and roll up the sleeves, and lots of vintage loop collar shirts and hollywood pants.
AnimatonGuild41.gif

Disneyanimators1952.jpg

maurice_noble_bell.jpg

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
Jfruser,

First, Welcome to the Lounge!

It sounds like you are in the same work environment as I am. I usually wear dress pants and button up shirts - typically long sleeved unless it is quite warm (like the near-90 degree weather we are having today). On warm days I tend to favor polos. I tend to be around equipment and on the production floor quite a bit, so ties are not practical (or allowed). I prefer dress pants over khakis as they feel dressier to me although they seem more difficult to keep clean [huh].

My recommendation lies in the presentation of your clothes and accessories. By this I mean:

1) Iron your shirt (with creases down the sleeves);

2) Buy shirts with French or Conversion cuffs and wear vintage-inspired cuff links. The use of cuff links gives a more classic style;

3) Keep those shoes polished! There is a reason they are more expensive than the rest of your wardrobe...A good pair of shoes will last years longer than your shirts and trousers if properly maintained;

4) Buy a watch that ticks. This is just my own personal preference, but I love a watch that you have to wind every morning. Some people will actually notice this. I have said, "Yes, it ticks" to many people. The modern bells and whistles on current watches are great, but I don't use (or need) them. They also will obviously look modern. If you want more of a classic watch, buy a classic watch. Antique stores and Ebay are great sources;

5) My favorite part of my personal style...The FEDORA. A good hat will give you a classic look, not to mention its practicality. In the winter I wear a wool coat and felt fedora. During the spring and fall rain showers I wear a tan London fog trench-style coat and felt fedora. I am still working on getting a Panama for summer use, but will be adding one to my wardrobe soon.

I don't have any secret sources of clothing stores. I shop at many common stores: JC Penny; Banana Republic; Men's Warehouse just to name a few. You will find that some of your best finds may come from unexpected places (Target now carries an interesting assortment of cuff links. There is an article somewhere around here that mentions it...sorry, I don't have the link handy.)

I'm getting long winded, and I'm sure that others will chime in shortly with more recommendations. Good Luck and keep us posted. We need more sharp dressers in the workplace!

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
In that essay he talks about what to do with a shirt when not wearing a tie because it looks unfinished, that's why I like the loop collar shirt since they are designed to look good without a tie. Just another option.

Here's a good example of that shirt and look on Salv in NYC recently.
Picture129.jpg

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Get the Fit Right

Make sure the fit is right. You don't want to go to a lot of time and effort just to have a look that's almost right. I see a lot of men wearing shirts whose sleeves begin at the bicep. Not good. Sleeves should begin where the arm does. Doesn't that sound sensible?

Likewise, I see a lot of men whose pants begin somewhere around the hips and end somewhere on the floor. That's even worse than the baggy shirts.

It's important to not only find a good classic look, but a look that suits you. Take collars, for example. Button-down collars don't suit people with short necks (like me). When your neck is about 3" long, you need a flatter collar. So it is with hats: you just have to try on several.

jfruser

New in Town
The collar commentary hits close to home, as I have a rather short neck and have never been fond of button-down collars.

Also, I have been gravitating to loop collared shirts for casual wear. I might have to try some for work.

I appreciate y'all taking the time to lend an engineer a hand.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I best see you asking about grown-up hats soon buddy. :D

That's a telling point about the quarry workers in the Fountainhead and a zillion other movies and photos. A big part of the problem we have nowadays is the weight and toughness of fabrics.

Most clothing that looks more formal than jeans lately is made to be comfortable for 8 hours in central heat/air and only durable enough to not get worn out from sitting in your chair too long.

Along with armhole size and waist rise, you'll find fabric weight and drape is a top complaint around here.

jfruser

New in Town
carebear:

Hey, my very first post mentioned fedoras & panamas!

I am keeping my eyes open for warm-season hats. One for work and one for working in the yard.

Travis

Suspended
I don't trust this business casual thing. As a bit of background, I wear ties every day.

You see, I tried to do the whole business casual thing at work on Friday. Brown trousers, a sort of khaki colored jacket from another one of my suits, brown/white spectators, white shirt and no tie. It annoyed the bejeeses out of me. I never realized before that when I stand up I go to straighten out my tie, but since there wasn't one there, there was nothing to straigthen. About 2 hours into the day and I was dying to have a tie to put on. It may look more casual to have the open neck, but in the end, a tie can be far more comfortable.

jgilbert

One of the Regulars
Adding some flare

Being in your basic business casual enviroment, slacks and dress shirt, one of the few ways I can add some flare is my socks. Colors, patterns just a little something to to the black slacks and dress shirt.

How do others add some unstated or discreet flare to their daily dress?

Zig2k143

Practically Family
jgilbert said:
Being in your basic business casual enviroment, slacks and dress shirt, one of the few ways I can add some flare is my socks. Colors, patterns just a little something to to the black slacks and dress shirt.

How do others add some unstated or discreet flare to their daily dress?

Vintage Style Shirts and Hats on my way in and out. :)

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
My last job uniform was plain-Jane khakis and polo shirts, with a "business-like" hair style *cringe*. My employers didn't mind me wearing my hair in the more subtle vintage styles, though.

I would always sneak in a pair of vintage earrings. I couldn't wear nail polish because it scratched off on documents, unfortunately.

griffer

Practically Family
I wear the required 15 pieces of flair, should I wear more?

Actually I do the sock thing on business causal day, but then my business casual always includes a blazer, whit linen sqare and a hat. A guy i know just called me Mr. Howell this week. I'm only 32.

On full dress days, I am always in frech cuffs and have a dash from a colored linen square, but on those days my sock are very subdued.

Watches, cigarette cases, belts...these make business casual more interesting.

And don't forget the shoes....

griffer said:
A guy i know just called me Mr. Howell this week. I'm only 32.

Like I said in the Stupid comment thread:

Thurston Howell the III voice: "Oh cabana boy, bring me my drink and be quick about it. Pardon me while I count my money. 100, 100, 100, 100, 100, 100, 20!? How'd that get in there?!" Throws it over his shoulder and walks away.

Regards,

J

Marty M.

Vendor
Ok. Here's my idea of casual Friday.
Sport Coat: Olive plaid with a orange window, single breasted, bone buttons and a funky lining.
Trouser: Medium blue 120's wool faille weave, triple reverse pleats.
Dress Shirt: Blue twil weave 100's 2/ply cotton, classic collar and french cuffs.
Cuff Links: "PIn-up Girl" of course.
Vest: Yellow Royal Baby Alpaca.
Shoes: Allen Edmonds "Ramsey" brandy w/linen. Also with matching belt.
Hoisery: Pantherella light blue OTC with pattern.
Lid: Scala coconut with a madras band.
Driving Gloves: Italian made calf skin (for my pal Scotrace)
A silk pocket square and a fish fly in the lapel to finish the outfit. Now the only question is "What will you fill the Flask with?
Cheers,
Marty Mathis

P1010040.jpg

P1010048.jpg

P1010049.jpg

P1010054.jpg

P1010050.jpg

Dagwood

Practically Family
Although my grandfather has been gone for about 8 years, my grandmother recently found these pair of cufflinks belonging to him. They are pretty unique. Although they are in need of some repair, I'm think that they will add some flare to my outfits. What do you think?

b_164222.jpg

P.S. Marty, I really like the sports coat in your post.

Barry

Practically Family
Marty M. said:
Ok. Here's my idea of casual Friday.
Sport Coat: Olive plaid with a orange window, single breasted, bone buttons and a funky lining.
Cheers,
Marty Mathis

Marty,

What brand of sport coat is that? I love it!

Barry

Marty M.

Vendor
Right back at ya buddy.

Barry said:
Marty,

What brand of sport coat is that? I love it!

Barry

Hi Barry, it's one of our custom made sport coats. I just recieved it. I had it made for a new display. Most of our display garments are made in my size. So when I sell out of the display garment fabric, then I can sell the display garment to someone my size or keep it myself. I'm glad that you like it. By the way, I love your sport jacket with the arm panels that are different then the body.
Marty

Marty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails