Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vaseline

Lilredrooster

Familiar Face
I new here but I wanted to here what other people had to say about suing Vaseline on your skin, I have a friend who had acne for a log time, she tried everything (even the proactive) but she is like me ( a red head with a fair completion) some one told her to put Vaseline on her face at night, all over, just like you would a cold cream or moisturizer, and with in a few days you could see a difference in her skin, she still have a little acne but not as bad as before, she also uses Vaseline to get rid of razor bumps, she said it’s her miracle cream.
Im to scared to try it, my face will break out so easy, so I wanted to know if any one else has done this and what they think, I have always had good skin but I do occasionally get a little blemish here and there and would love to try something to get rid of it faster. Also some one told me Marilyn Monroe used Vaseline on her face, I have never heard that before, any one else hear this?

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
Seems to me the what it will end up doing is trapping in the moisture and oil on your face. I think your best option if you have oily skin is a clay mask once or twice a week. Vaseline is great for burns because it keeps the area moist but to leave on your face for extended periods of time could potential clogg your pores. Hopefully that helps a bit plus I think it would be too messy to even think about doing!

Girl Friday

Practically Family
I accidentally caught a Tyra Banks show one afternoon, she swears by the stuff. And honestly she has pretty good skin.

I've never used it personally...hmm petroleum jelly...it just doesn't quite sound right. A little more research would probably be a good idea. ;)

PS

A-List Customer
I use it, on occasion. I use it as an eyeshadow primer and sometimes as a way to intensify blush and highlight products in my makeup routine.
I made a video tutorial. I won't post it unless someone requests it. The trick with using vaseline is just using the tiniest bit you need, not going overboard.
I've never had any issue with it clogging my pores or sliding around on my face.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
I use it when my face is chapped from using Retin A. I also use it in small amounts around my eyes sometimes. As a teenager, I'd slather it on an inch thick & never really noticed an increase in acne. I have also used it as a moisturizing "mask" by putting it on & leaving it on for a couple hours & then patting it off with TP.

I don't think vaseline has any vitamins or anything healthy in it, it is just waterproof & holds the moisture in. If you are looking for something with actual healing properties I'd say choose an oil--something like jojoba or grapeseed, or any of the carrier oils used for making essential oils go farther.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
I have read that Marilyn Monroe started to grow excess facial hair as a result of having used Vaseline for many years on her face :confused: but I wouldn't know if there is any science behind that one!

Miss Brill

One Too Many
I never grew any hair from using it. There are pictures of Marilyn sporting some fuzzy cheeks in her later years, but my guess is it was just her hormones. In the 1960s, your 30s were the "menopausal" years, I think that, coupled with her supposed infertility, points to hormonal swings.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Miss Brill said:
I never grew any hair from using it. There are pictures of Marilyn sporting some fuzzy cheeks in her later years, but my guess is it was just her hormones. In the 1960s, your 30s were the "menopausal" years, I think that, coupled with her supposed infertility, points to hormonal swings.

You could be right, given that she also used hormone cream on her face too!

Pinkie

New in Town
Vaseline is great for your lips and around your eyes, but I'm not sure about using it all over your face. It's supposed to be non-comedogenic (won't clog your pores) so I guess it couldn't hurt. It will probably make your skin very soft!

Josephine

One Too Many
I wouldn't use Vaseline if you paid me. It might trap moisture in your skin, but it also traps moisture outside your skin and doesn't let any in. It's a petroleum byproduct. ::shudder:: That and mineral oil I won't use. I find using the OCM does wonders for keeping my skin clear, and then I use a mix of shea butter and coconut oil as a moisturizer.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
I use Vaseline on my hands in the winter when they start to crack which they did yesterday; so painful! I don't put it on during the day as it's too greasy but I put it on overnight. I would never dare use Vaseline on my face! I personally recommend the Clinique 3-step programme (for more information see the 'coke' thread).

VanillaT

One of the Regulars
I have used it on my face in the wintertime, when I have windburn. It does not break me out, but then again my skin has always like oily stuff. I have found that I prefer putting Nivea cream on my face for windburn rather than Vaseline though, as it seems to soak in better and not be as shiny. The other drawback is that if you get Vaseline in your hair it is heck to get out.

perfectredlips

New in Town
I have used vasaline on my face many times. In the winter I will put a very thin layer on my face at night....it always worked wonders. I have switched to egyptian magic...a beeswax version of vasaline and its also great.

KittenHasCurves

New in Town
I have used Vaseline off and on for years, especially in the wintertime. I have never had a problem with clogged pores, and in fact it makes my skin look less red and irritated.

The best time to apply is right after you wash your face, when the skin is still moist, and apply a very sparing amount, the size of your pinky nail or less.

Im not brave enough to use it during the day though! Too shiny. :)

Tigerlily

One of the Regulars
A good tip that Marilyn gave Lee Strasberg's daughter once was to use vaseline on your eyelashes, cheekbones, and lips for when you don't feel like wearing make-up. I do it sometimes and I like it.
The peach fuzz that Marilyn started growing on her face were from both the jelly and the hormone cream she used but it gave her the glow that she had. :)

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
Um....

...using that gunk on your face is what gives people those tiny white bumps under their eyes.

Sunland Sare

New in Town
Tigerlily said:
The peach fuzz that Marilyn started growing on her face were from both the jelly and the hormone cream she used but it gave her the glow that she had. :)

hmmm, a glow from a peachy fuzz on your face, you say? i think i'll politely decline lol

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My Uncle was a pharmacist and made me promise never to use Vaseline on my body. :eek: He never interferred with my beauty regimins, but asked what I was using and we would discuss the products and their ingredients.

It absolutely floored me when he made me promise to never use Vaseline (and one other common product that I can't remember right now) as he NEVER interferred in my business or made me promise him anything else in his lifetime.

Vintage Betty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred