Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vegecow Lewis Leathers quality

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
thanks for your input, Sal. LL should give you some commission. Our resident guru. And nice pics, Justin. That green looks amazing. Now to flip a coin on the lightning or dominator. Curious about Marc's Cyclone (I think that's what he ordered) as well. And I agree, definitely beige tape. Don't even want to look at the blue LOL for fear it will spur another project. Ive got a midnight blue Aero racer anyway. I'm literally down to my last jacket unless I sell off another 5 LOL. So going to make it count.
You can't go wrong with either of those - tossing a coin is probably your best option! I nearly went with the green for my Dominator but opted for the vegecow in black in the end as I already had the Super Phantom in green, but it was a close call. I have seen both Dominators and Lightnings in green in the London shop (luckily not in my size!) and both look great. I am v intrigued to see Marc's too, as I havent yet seen a Cyclone in the green. Good luck!

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
You can't go wrong with either of those - tossing a coin is probably your best option! I nearly went with the green for my Dominator but opted for the vegecow in black in the end as I already had the Super Phantom in green, but it was a close call. I have seen both Dominators and Lightnings in green in the London shop (luckily not in my size!) and both look great. I am v intrigued to see Marc's too, as I havent yet seen a Cyclone in the green. Good luck!
thanks for your input, Sal. LL should give you some commission. Our resident guru. And nice pics, Justin. That green looks amazing. Now to flip a coin on the lightning or dominator. Curious about Marc's Cyclone (I think that's what he ordered) as well. And I agree, definitely beige tape. Don't even want to look at the blue LOL for fear it will spur another project. Ive got a midnight blue Aero racer anyway. I'm literally down to my last jacket unless I sell off another 5 LOL. So going to make it count.
Tomorrow I will try to take few shots of the green sheep SP next to a vintage black Monza I have from the 70s in cowhide, if the light outside is suitable - hopefully that will help for comparison if I post them here?

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
If the green is like really dark, dark green (i.e. almost black with a subdued green hue), kind of like evil villain lizard murky green kind of thing, I might do it. I'm thinking Dominator in that case. and I might add the extra coin pocket like Thomas for extra flair. But every time I see a pic of that Lightning 402, I'm like wow. Just wondering if green is going to be way over the top for the cross zip. Don't want the jacket to become just a halloween Riddler costume piece LOL.

And Jin, I was wondering the same about pattern changes. I think no, but then again, who knows. If I go dominator I might take out the hand warmers if they allow. They always tend to flair out. But every jacket I've seen so far looks like they nail the fit perfectly, so might not be an issue in case they don't allow. And I think I'm pretty set on getting a square logo patch.

I was laughing with Marc yesterday. Few months ago I was like I don't like LL because of the patch and extra bling. Now I'm considering one in green, logo patch, contrasting tape, adding extra flare. LOL. the madness never stops.
You might want to get an accessory or two to go with the green jacket…..
8E086845-1954-41D8-964F-D788B53E504D.jpeg

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
They have a very clear vision of their style and won’t let you stray too far. Everything that leaves the shop is true LL. While the measurements are fully customizable, they won’t let you go too baggy or too long for example. In the same way, there are pretty firm limits on what design aspects you can customize. It’s pretty much the opposite business philosophy to FL!

Got it, might be worth a try to send them an email. They do have quite a bit of heritage history to them and I can imagine how proud they are of their patterns. I really am just intrigued with the green sheepskin since all my jackets are black/brown

If the green is like really dark, dark green (i.e. almost black with a subdued green hue), kind of like evil villain lizard murky green kind of thing, I might do it. I'm thinking Dominator in that case. and I might add the extra coin pocket like Thomas for extra flair. But every time I see a pic of that Lightning 402, I'm like wow. Just wondering if green is going to be way over the top for the cross zip. Don't want the jacket to become just a halloween Riddler costume piece LOL.

And Jin, I was wondering the same about pattern changes. I think no, but then again, who knows. If I go dominator I might take out the hand warmers if they allow. They always tend to flair out. But every jacket I've seen so far looks like they nail the fit perfectly, so might not be an issue in case they don't allow. And I think I'm pretty set on getting a square logo patch.

I was laughing with Marc yesterday. Few months ago I was like I don't like LL because of the patch and extra bling. Now I'm considering one in green, logo patch, contrasting tape, adding extra flare. LOL. the madness never stops.
The green sheepskin is really nice, and it's not too much over the top for a cross zip as evidenced by a handsome looking green Thedi cross zip recently. That's so TFL to change your mind about certain details lol and go for it with all the LL details because why not!

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
They have a very clear vision of their style and won’t let you stray too far. Everything that leaves the shop is true LL. While the measurements are fully customizable, they won’t let you go too baggy or too long for example. In the same way, there are pretty firm limits on what design aspects you can customize. It’s pretty much the opposite business philosophy to FL!
One tweak they did for me was to shift the sleeve pockets on my Super Phantoms to the right arm, as I'm a southpaw, so these look like mirror images of the stock items. I did think about leaving off the label too, but I have actually grown to really like it now on my LL jackets and it is also there on the three vintage ones I have from the 70s, so I will keep it on any future orders - it is actually a lot more subtle in the flesh than in photos. It seems very much part of these jackets now to me.

Pandemic

One Too Many
One tweak they did for me was to shift the sleeve pockets on my Super Phantoms to the right arm, as I'm a southpaw, so these look like mirror images of the stock items. I did think about leaving off the label too, but I have actually grown to really like it now on my LL jackets and it is also there on the three vintage ones I have from the 70s, so I will keep it on any future orders - it is actually a lot more subtle in the flesh than in photos. It seems very much part of these jackets now to me.

Ooooooo, I didn’t think of that! Not that I’ll ever use that pocket. I do use the internal pocket and had that moved to the right side. Actually, all of my leather jackets are southpaw now.

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
Ooooooo, I didn’t think of that! Not that I’ll ever use that pocket. I do use the internal pocket and had that moved to the right side. Actually, all of my leather jackets are southpaw now.
You just reminded me of the other tweak I had done on my new LLs - I asked them to leave out the inside pocket, as I prefer to get the fit as close as possible - my older vintage LLs have it however, but I prefer mine without. I have a Vanson Mercury with an inside pocket but it creates an unsightly bulge and is quite lumpy when zipped up, so when it is time for relining I will leave it off….these are just my personal preferences - I don't carry much in my pockets anyway and tend to use my trousers for that - an exception is in my Aeros where I ask for enlarged breast pockets inners so they can hold my phone, as the standard offerings are too tiny to be of much use for that purpose otherwise. LL actually do two nice versions of belt loop key holders and I use the quick release version of those for my keys. I use the LL sleeve pocket for my automated entrance card - it is actually really handy for that. I almost never use handwarmer pockets at all on my jackets….I would be interested to hear if others on FL use them much, as on a lot of jackets I find them to be more aesthetic than practical...

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
39C79312-89E6-410B-9B35-87F81204BC1D.jpeg
4E45C2C0-1615-45FB-BFE4-29CB0B905ED8.jpeg
F8122D9B-8D40-4069-9E4D-974C1C638A78.jpeg
028FE8CF-0107-456E-9990-D9C59082E8E6.jpeg
6A3C4B40-CADE-4296-8DE5-14F23C7A16D1.jpeg
A few shots of my 1970s Monza (now discontinued on the website as it has been replaced by the Super Monza that appeared in the late 70s - but they will still do a custom one on request). This is cowhide and is amazingly soft (after a good bid of reconditioning after buying it on ebay), with a great shine to it. It has also got some amazing graining so the common perception that LL cowhide jackets don't show much grain is not true - they just need a lot of wear over half a century to really break like this ! I have also taken some shots of my recent green sheep Super Phantom next to it, so you can compare it next to a true deep black (the Monza is the deepest truest black of all my jackets, it even makes the Vanson look grey by comparison). This latter pattern is v tight fitting and there is no size label - I think it is likely a size down from my normal preferences - but this old racing cut is quite odd anyway as it is broad in the shoulders but relatively narrow in the chest and the sleeves are v narrow - it is literally skin tight there, although it is thin and soft enough that its not uncomfortable and I never zip it anyway. I have a custom Super Monza in vegecow in sight for next year….the fit on that latter model is less extreme than in its predecessor.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
thanks for the shots. I think I'm pretty much sold on the green. But will wait to see Marc's masterpiece hopefully on MOnday :)

Now to focus on the style. 392 caught my eye from the beginning. I've got a brown Thedi racer with similar padding and I like the look but remain curious how it's going to break down with time. A little worried it'll keep the shoulders from drooping down properly on the curve where it meets the sleeve and kind of give a permanent 1980s shoulder pad sort of look. Not really something I'd want two jackets to have in the style department. Anyone got a 392 in sheep with some wears on it? Few decent pics on google images, but nothing that makes we drool or gives insight into what the future shape holds.

Of course 402 would be solid. And Dominator maybe with the zip up hand warmers is the "safest" option of the lot. I've already got a couple bold color racers, so want to try something different here.

Last question for those who went through the measurements. Did you go kind of tight on the measuring tape? I'm purely guessing here and it might just be a mental association with the word sheepskin, but is the leather kind of stretchy? In that case I'd prefer to go a little tighter to get a tshirt fit. Or is LL making the calculations. I got to admit, the recent photos from Justin and Thomas give me faith that they know how to hit your size.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
I almost never use handwarmer pockets at all on my jackets….I would be interested to hear if others on FL use them much, as on a lot of jackets I find them to be more aesthetic than practical...

I think for most designs, they're almost non functional when you have your jacket zipped. Especially on the shorter cut jackets. You'd really have to bend your elbow to hit the right angle.

My Sheene has handwarmers without zippers and it's not something I like. The jacket is already very slim cut since it's based on a racer with a tapered body cut, so the pockets end up flaring out when zipped. I'm thinking about adding an internal snap, but I think just having one in the middle will create a wave. And it's expensive to add a zipper in the after market. My wife gave me an idea to try some self adhesive velcro. I think so long as I"m not constantly ripping it open and closed, it should hold for some time.

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
thanks for the shots. I think I'm pretty much sold on the green. But will wait to see Marc's masterpiece hopefully on MOnday :)

Now to focus on the style. 392 caught my eye from the beginning. I've got a brown Thedi racer with similar padding and I like the look but remain curious how it's going to break down with time. A little worried it'll keep the shoulders from drooping down properly on the curve where it meets the sleeve and kind of give a permanent 1980s shoulder pad sort of look. Not really something I'd want two jackets to have in the style department. Anyone got a 392 in sheep with some wears on it? Few decent pics on google images, but nothing that makes we drool or gives insight into what the future shape holds.

Of course 402 would be solid. And Dominator maybe with the zip up hand warmers is the "safest" option of the lot. I've already got a couple bold color racers, so want to try something different here.

Last question for those who went through the measurements. Did you go kind of tight on the measuring tape? I'm purely guessing here and it might just be a mental association with the word sheepskin, but is the leather kind of stretchy? In that case I'd prefer to go a little tighter to get a tshirt fit. Or is LL making the calculations. I got to admit, the recent photos from Justin and Thomas give me faith that they know how to hit your size.
I prefer the plain Lightnings to the padded Star Lightning - I think it gets too busy imo and if going for a lancer and collar jacket would look at the Europa. I think the nicest padded jackets are the ones with the mandarin collars - the Super Phantom, Racing Jacket and Super Monza. The latter is the coolest looking jacket LL offer in my view - it even edges the Dominator and Lightning for me, and is on the hitlist for a few months down the line. I would say the sheep is the most forgiving hide for a close fit - my SP is my most comfortable jacket and one of the tightest. I would trust Rip on the fit - just take “honest” measurements rather than trying to second guess if it will be tight or loose and they will dial it in. It is worth checking each model carefully with him as they do have different patterns - the stock SM is v v-shaped, the Racing Jacket more tubular etc - so to get your ideal fit you may have to subtract from some measures in one pattern but add in another. I typically need a shortening in the arms and body and narrowing in the shoulders relative to the stock sizes. The sheep will mould to you and it has more elasticity than other hides, so is perfect for a close fit without ending up with the “tin-man” effects - these properties no doubt explain why it was used for riding in the first place, where a streamlined profile is key, especially in the racers. They won't fit zips in the Dominator handwarmers - so if you want zips there try one of the other models - as you say you could get them added aftermarket though. I would ask Rip as they might trim the measurements with that in mind and whether you wear zipped or unzipped - I rarely zip mine tbh, so I don't worry about the handwarmers too much, which I never use anyway….if you prefer them zipped ask Rip what he recommends to minimise potential flaring when sizing it up….

Last edited:

Tom71

Call Me a Cab

Of course 402 would be solid. And Dominator maybe with the zip up hand warmers is the "safest" option of the lot. I've already got a couple bold color racers, so want to try something different

Re measurements: I actually didn’t give the my body dimensions at all, but rather the measurements of the jackets I had in mind. Exchanging one cause for anxiety with another…
It was a fairly safe bet after already having the Dominatior in HH (which I tried on in store in two sizes], but I should perhaps have taken a bit more advice from Rip.

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
Re measurements: I actually didn’t give the my body dimensions at all, but rather the measurements of the jackets I had in mind. Exchanging one cause for anxiety with another…
It was a fairly safe bet after already having the Dominatior in HH (which I tried on in store in two sizes], but I should perhaps have taken a bit more advice from Rip.
This is exactly what I did - I used my own measurements to get the first custom jacket (Super Sportsman) and then used that as a baseline for the others. Rip is v helpful - discuss it with him and explain if you want a t shirt fit or room for layering, whether you wear it zipped or not etc and he will guide you. LL jackets are much closer fitting by default than many other makers - but, like Vanson, they are great at moulding the leather to human anatomy, unlike some others where it feels like you need to mould to the jacket instead! No doubt this is where all the decades of expertise in making racing suits etc pays off.

Note the sleeves are pretty slim too, so check on those measurements with Rip - I really like slim sleeves that fit close to my arms and i hate the often shapeless loose fits and low armholes seen on many other jackets, but if you have real Popeye arms you might want to check with Rip first!

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
the stock SM is v v-shaped, the Racing Jacket more tubular etc

I had read at LL that the Racing Jacket was based on the Sportsman?
I would have hoped that the RJ would be V-shape then as well.
Anyway, I emailed Rip about it. I don't like boxy or tubular jacket. Lol

BTW. thanks to all for the helpful hints in this thread.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I would be interested to hear if others on FL use them much, as on a lot of jackets I find them to be more aesthetic than practical...

I use them a lot. I like to be able to rest my hands somewhere plus I put my car and house keys in them.

I rarely wear any of my cafe racers because they lack handwarmer pockets (and inside pockets).

F0BDC5E5-1524-4B5C-AC75-2FB9A77B65A3.jpeg

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
I had read at LL that the Racing Jacket was based on the Sportsman?
I would have hoped that the RJ would be V-shape then as well.
Anyway, I emailed Rip about it. I don't like boxy or tubular jacket. Lol

BTW. thanks to all for the helpful hints in this thread.
Both the RJ and Super Sportsman are similar models (the former is effectively the latter with padding) and more tubular than strongly V shaped in the base pattern - the Super Phantom or Super Monza are more V shaped - of course you can select your custom hem and shoulder size to adjust as you prefer - I was simply referring to the default settings. I think the strongest V is in the Super Monza.

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
Both the RJ and Super Sportsman are similar models (the former is effectively the latter with padding) and more tubular than strongly V shaped in the base pattern - the Super Phantom or Super Monza are more V shaped - of course you can select your custom hem and shoulder size to adjust as you prefer - I was simply referring to the default settings. I think the strongest V is in the Super Monza.
Ps - just ask Rip for the baseline dimensions and you can tweak them from there to get your preferred fit. I would think with your frame it should be easy enough to get it dialled in without too much trouble tbh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24