Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Venetian loafers

davestlouis

Practically Family
I'm having fits finding Venetian-style loafers. These are basically like any other loafer, only there is no strap, no tassel, no kilt, no horsebit, etc, just smooth leather. Allen Edmonds makes a model called Sanibel that is perfect, I'll buy those if I can't find any locally. I had some Sebagos that I really liked, but they finally died recently.

The AEs have a combination rubber and leather sole which doesn't impress me much, but they may be my only choice.

Any thoughts on other sources?

Vintage lover

A-List Customer
I got this pair at Dillard's for $20. Not sure if it is what you are looking for, they also have the kind with the flat back.
dscn0949k.jpg

dscn0950t.jpg

My, I really should shampoo my carpets...

davestlouis

Practically Family
It looks like J&M makes some too, but they are imported and built like the Mexican-made Ski-MocII's I jsut got recently...not very impressive. I found some made of Shell, for $675, which is just a smidge too much money for me. If I could post pics I would, but I can never make that work. The Sanibels are probably going to have to be what I get.

Looks like the AEs are imported too...wonder where they are from?!

Richard Warren

Practically Family
Some years ago I bought a pair of Cole Haan's named I think Bergamo that are a pretty good shoe. I checked their website and they don't still make them but they make something that looks close called a Norton.

davestlouis

Practically Family
Well, I found something completely different today, not what I had intended, but they'll work just fine.

Vale Village had a pair of Polo by Ralph Lauren full strap beefroll loafers in a butterscotch color, for $3.99. They need soles, but the uppers are beautiful, I used some leather lotion on them already, and I'll try some dark brown and/or black polish to add a little depth to the color, and try to get some patina going. 1/2 soles and heel lifts will run about $50, and I should be all set.

I guess the venetians will have to wait.

davestlouis

Practically Family
Good grief, I went to Goodwill today, found some vintage Florsheim Imperials, plum/burgundy/cordovan color, perfed cap toe oxfords, gently worn, Florsheim Imperial in gold in the sock liner, Florsheim Imperial embossed in the sole, The Florsheim Shoe in the heel top lift, and the little fabric oval Florsheim Imperial emblem sewn into the shoe lining. $4.

I took them home, hit them with some leather conditioner and several coats of black Kiwi polish, and they look pretty good. The black adds some depth and a smidgen of patina, and some shine.

I still want Venetians, but I keep stumbling onto other neat deals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy