Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vent holes: do they work?

Gusman

New in Town
I've done it.....

Today I've measured the location and punched 4 holes in my new Akubra Banjo Paterson and placed the eyelets. Tomorrow on my bicycle I will test the vent holes on the 12 kilometer trip to my work.....

Here are some pictures from the successful modification (with the help of the FL forum)........

Regards,

Gusman ;)

AkubraBP_Outside.JPG

AkubraBP_Inside.JPG

jpbales

Practically Family
Great job!

They look nice and do match the felt perfectly. :eusa_clap I'm sure they'll help let out some heat as well.

jpbales

Practically Family
experiment

it would be cool to do a scientific experiment regarding whether or not vent holes make a difference. Take two identical hats and punch two or three vent holes on each side of one of the hats. Place a thermometer inside the original hat (taped to the top of the hat perhaps?) and run on a treadmill for 10 mins, then find and record the temperature. Then do the same with the vented hat and compare which one recorded a cooler temperature. [huh] The experiment should probably also be done multiple times and in different environments (indoors/outdoors, windy/still, dry/moist). If one could also measure the humidity that would be good as well.
Anyway, just a thought.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
jpbales said:
it would be cool to do a scientific experiment regarding whether or not vent holes make a difference. Take two identical hats and punch two or three vent holes on each side of one of the hats. Place a thermometer inside the original hat (taped to the top of the hat perhaps?) and run on a treadmill for 10 mins, then find and record the temperature. Then do the same with the vented hat and compare which one recorded a cooler temperature. [huh] The experiment should probably also be done multiple times and in different environments (indoors/outdoors, windy/still, dry/moist). If one could also measure the humidity that would be good as well.
Anyway, just a thought.

Quick! Send it off to Mythbusters! 'Bout time those guys did a 'Hats Special Edition'.

Erik

One of the Regulars
"As you can clearly see in the slow motion, frame by frame analysis the explosive gases can indeed be seen escaping momentarily prior to the hat's total obliteration..." ;)

Gusman

New in Town
Hi all,

Today I've tested my Banjo Paterson with the new vent holes during the 12 km bicycle trip to my work. Due to the fact "I have a rather high forehead" lol I can feel the cool wind blowing through the vent holes on my head. Especially when I turn my head to the left or right during the ride.

I have the impression the inside of the crown is somewhat "cooler" with the vent holes during the trip, but the vent holes are not capable to get rid of all the evaporated water (sweat) mixed with air inside the crown. I think the problem has to do with the fact our body doesn't understand there's a hat on the head and keeps sending more sweat to "cool" the head.

We could send-in the test JPBales is suggesting to the Mythbusters series to figure out what could be the ultimate cooling vent holes in a felt hat.... I will search the internet if I can find some similar tests.

Regards,

Gusman ;)

MCrider

A-List Customer
Erik said:
"As you can clearly see in the slow motion, frame by frame analysis the explosive gases can indeed be seen escaping momentarily prior to the hat's total obliteration..." ;)

lol lol lol

That's tooooo funny Erik (but probably true in how they'd test it)

Gusman that is a nice hat and good job adding the vents in. Let us know if it seems to keep your noggin any cooler.

Kreissaege

One of the Regulars
Gusman said:
Hi all,

I have the impression the inside of the crown is somewhat "cooler" with the vent holes during the trip, but the vent holes are not capable to get rid of all the evaporated water (sweat) mixed with air inside the crown. I think the problem has to do with the fact our body doesn't understand there's a hat on the head and keeps sending more sweat to "cool" the head.

We could send-in the test JPBales is suggesting to the Mythbusters series to figure out what could be the ultimate cooling vent holes in a felt hat.... I will search the internet if I can find some similar tests.

Regards,

Gusman ;)

Unfortunately, what really makes the difference in ventilation is a big strip of mesh:
172009008.jpg

This hat runs rings around a felt hat in this department, but is sooo ugly.

outsidebear

New in Town
What's the air hole vent on the side of your hat look like?

Would you share pictures of the air vent holes in the side of the crown of your hat?
I'm new to the Forum as of today, glad to be aboard and looking forward to more involvement.
outsidebear

outsidebear

New in Town
thanks gtdean 48
The top qualifies, k'.

Several years ago while building a customer's fishing hat, he told me his buddies called him S@#t Head and wanted holes in a half-moon pattern on the side of the crown - this was more of a western style hat, than a fedora. So I worked up a half-moon pattern and he was happy as could be!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats