Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Veronica Lake curl set

AvavanBlythe

Familiar Face
Normally I wouldn't bother with asking about pin curl sets, since I've done a great job finding wonderful tutorials. However, I'm unable to find anything on Veronica Lake's curl set. Namely, with this specific look. I didn't find anything in the usual threads, which is why I'm posting a whole new thread.

My thoughts: Her hair cut is straight-across. Her curl set is large pinned curls. Then, the top half was styled much like a pageboy, while having smoothed down the bottom half, but keeping the ends curled. This was something I kind of did early on while trying to find my pinned curl set and doing long hair.

I'd ran across one blog where a woman used duckbill clips for a somewhat finger-wave with sponge curlers at the bottom. This may work if I'm in a hurry, but I much prefer a curl set. Did I get this right?

AvavanBlythe

Familiar Face
With all my searching, I actually never ran across that. Thanks so much! :)

Edit: This really is helpful. I noticed in the "length shot" that she does have a U shape to her hair, though it's not layered. This is exactly the way I cut my own hair prior to letting my middy grow out. If I "go long" again, it won't be much of a change to the cut, just the style.

The only thing I don't entirely understand is wrapping her hair around one finger before pinning it. Does this mean the hairdresser only pinned the spot around eye level, and in one loop? My guess is that's how they offered the peek-a-boo wave. Given that she has naturally wavy hair, it makes plenty of sense now.

Last edited:

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
The only thing I don't entirely understand is wrapping her hair around one finger before pinning it. Does this mean the hairdresser only pinned the spot around eye level, and in one loop? My guess is that's how they offered the peek-a-boo wave. Given that she has naturally wavy hair, it makes plenty of sense now.

That's how I read it, only pin curls at the fringe (bangs) & of course wearing her hair in plaits while not filming would help with the curls too.
I'm so pleased the link was useful to you :D

Alice~

One of the Regulars
Not sure if you've seen this, but here's a link to a 1941 edition of Time where she talks about her hair (how she sets her hair, products she uses etc). You'll need to scroll down to page 59. Hope it's helpful!

Lolly, this is fantastic! Thank you for sharing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko