Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Video games based in the golden era

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
I like the older flying sims, like Red Baron and the like. But also Crimson Skies was and still is one of my favorites.

Then there were the older adventure games, like Indiana Jones III and IV. But there was also a game called Heart of China with nice graphics. But it was not an easy one and you had a limited time to finish it therefore not much time for trial and error playing. Also nice games were the Laura Bow adventures, set in the 30s or 40s I believe.

The Pics of Mafia seems promising, never played the first part, but maybe I try it someday.

NY_Confidential

Familiar Face
Shangas said:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Mafia II is due out 2010. They had to move it back, unfortunately. Or that's the last news I heard.

Oh well.. that's pretty common for most game developers other than EA, isn't it? I'd rather wait for the finished product, instead of getting a crappy product much like EA releases.

@Unlucky Berman -- there is a new arcade-style flight sim out called Heroes over Europe that you might enjoy.

I have a lot of stuff on my PC right now..

EVE-Online - Mentioned in my last post. MMORPG Space simulation

Anno 1404 (aka Dawn of Discovery) - RTS that came out recently. Eye-candy graphics

BioShock - Most of you already heard of this one in this thread

Hearts of Iron III - Grand Strategy game based on World War II

Heroes over Europe - WWII Arcade style Flight Sim Shooter

PKR Poker (from www.pkr.com) -- Free money 3D online poker client. NO spyware/crap-ware, optional real-money (if you don't live in the USA), 3D client with beautiful graphics.

The Godfather 2 - sort of like Grand Theft Auto, set in the Godfather environment - run around, extort people, kill people.

NES Rom - Yes, I have 1400 Original Nintendo games on my computer and fully playable. lol. I feel like a nerd having those.

Resident Evil 5 - Just got this.. It's not as great as the 1st 3, but.. its worth playing, nonetheless.

I'm sure there is more that I'm forgetting...

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Shangas said:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Mafia II is due out 2010. They had to move it back, unfortunately. Or that's the last news I heard.

Oh well. Considering I've been waiting since 1997 for a new Tex Murphy game, I can definitely wait on Mafia II. It'll definitely be fun when it comes out.

MY-I agree on the Godfather games. I got the first one for Playstation II when it first came out, and it just seemed very repetitive. As far as organized crime video games go, Mafia has a much more captivating story line and gameplay.

Lou

One of the Regulars
Medal of Honor Allied Assault is the only game set in the Golden Era that I've played. It's a great WWII military fix, but there's no civilian scenery to speak of.

I want to play Mafia and BioShock.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
What's BioShock 2 supposed to be like? Is it going to be more modern, like the crazy rap at the end? I'm guessing it will be, if it's going to be before Andrew Ryan creates Rapture.

Gotta look this up.

Edit: There's Something in the Sea... What does it mean?!

anon`

One Too Many
C-dot said:
What's BioShock 2 supposed to be like? Is it going to be more modern, like the crazy rap at the end? I'm guessing it will be, if it's going to be before Andrew Ryan creates Rapture.

Gotta look this up.

Edit: There's Something in the Sea... What does it mean?!
In terms of setting, it'll be ten years on (New Year's Eve, 1970) and you get to play as the original Big Daddy. Beyond that... I gots nothing.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
The original "Mafia" is a very fun game. It's set between Autumn 1930-1938 and it looks pretty authentic vintage, as far as cars, guns, clothing etc, goes. It's lots of fun to play.

Mafia II takes place between February 1945-1955. So when the game starts, WWII is still in full-swing.

NY_Confidential

Familiar Face
Shangas said:
The original "Mafia" is a very fun game. It's set between Autumn 1930-1938 and it looks pretty authentic vintage, as far as cars, guns, clothing etc, goes. It's lots of fun to play.

Mafia II takes place between February 1945-1955. So when the game starts, WWII is still in full-swing.

Mafia was ground-breaking for its time. For instance, the first Godfather game came out years later.. and the windshields in the cars were.. you know, that fake -look-like-glass stuff -- they weren't even transparent. Whilst Mafia, 4 yrs older, had transparent glass in the vehicles.

example:

MAFIA (2002)

mafia2002ck0.jpg

GODFATHER (2006)
gf2006zs1.jpg

mannySpaghetti

One of the Regulars
PC Gaming - MAFIA II

For those people that like to sometimes pass their time with a good PC game, a new title by 2KGames titled "Mafia II" is due out in 3-4 months. It's a follow up to their well received "Mafia I" title released in 2002. Mafia II has been years in the making and one that I've been waiting for for a very long time. It truly places you in the game and you carry out the "jobs" of a persuasive mob "negotiator". Click the pic below and watch the vids, you'll understand what I mean and if you've never tried PC games before, this may be the one you may be willing to give a go at.
mafia.gif

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Chrome said:
I really enjoyed this one, not really golden era but close enough for me.

http://www.microapp.com/contenus_propres/sites_plus/ilenoyee/

Sinking island, love the interior of that hotel.

This one looks really interesting. This is the first I've heard of it, though I am familiar with and have played Syberia by the same writer.

The last news update is from 2007. Has this one already been released?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Unlucky Berman said:
I like the older flying sims, like Red Baron and the like. But also Crimson Skies was and still is one of my favorites.

Then there were the older adventure games, like Indiana Jones III and IV. But there was also a game called Heart of China with nice graphics. But it was not an easy one and you had a limited time to finish it therefore not much time for trial and error playing. Also nice games were the Laura Bow adventures, set in the 30s or 40s I believe.

The Pics of Mafia seems promising, never played the first part, but maybe I try it someday.

Hi Berman,

My brother used to play "The Red Baron". And if you're interested, may I recommend:

www.instantaction.com ?

It's an online gaming site, and one of its games is "Ace of Aces". You play as a WWI fighter-pilot in either a British or German fighter bi-plane, trying to take down enemy aircraft (in amazing dogfights) as well as trying to strafe ground targets, destroying enemy bases. It's all 100% free. I've been playing it for several months now (usually with some appropriate WWI music in the background on Winamp), and it's a lot of fun.

Chrome

One of the Regulars
ScionPI2005 said:
This one looks really interesting. This is the first I've heard of it, though I am familiar with and have played Syberia by the same writer.

The last news update is from 2007. Has this one already been released?

Yes, and it is already in the lower than midprice bins :) I paid about 15$ for it.

Retro Russ

New in Town
Staggerly said:
It seems like most of the games set in the era are of the live-action type, doesn't it? I wonder how much of the blame for the failure of the titles was put on the setting instead of the format, and if that's why they don't make so many golden era games anymore.

And speaking of golden era games they don't make anymore, I forgot L.A. Noire, which apparently didn't even make an appearance at E3 this year. Too bad; I was really looking forward to it!

Are you sure that they're not releasing the game? It looks like it's slotted for 2010, and it supposedly has been officially confirmed for the Playstation 3, with a likely release on the XBox360. I just looked it up, and watched that trailer you linked. It looks pretty awesome, and I'll be getting that one along with Mafia 2 when it comes out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot