Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Video games based in the golden era

Cap'n Spaulding

New in Town
ScionPI2005 said:
This one looks really interesting. This is the first I've heard of it, though I am familiar with and have played Syberia by the same writer.

"Syberia" was a cool game. I got lots of fun out of that one.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Who remembers - and better yet, still plays - DOS games?

If you answered yes to one or both of these questions, did you play Wolfenstein?

wolfenstein-3d.jpg

wolfenstein-02.png

screen_nr_2_duzy.jpg

Escaping from a Nazi prison in 3D! I'm a little too timid to play it, but my guy is loving it, because its harder than modern games.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I have trouble regarding WW2 as part of some 'golden era', but I know what you mean. ;)

I missed out on that version due to not having a PC until 1995. I'm on the last level of the latest iteration of Wolfenstein. Pretty good all round, except I'm so bored with boss fights. We really don't need them any more.

Retro Russ

New in Town
To quote Wikipedia,

"Déjà Vu is a 'point-and-click' adventure game set in the world of 1940s hard-boiled detective novels and movies. It was released in 1985 for Macintosh – the first in the MacVenture series – and later ported to several other systems."

I wouldn't read anymore on Wiki about it. It spoils the story. All you need to know is that you are a man with no memory of who you are, and during the game, you will be trying to uncover your identity and a sinister plot that ties in with you.

I have played it for the NES, that is the original Nintendo system. It's pretty fun, and plays out like an interactive, choose-your-own-adventure novel with pictures.

Itobandito-DejaVuRetrowareTVNESReview342.jpg

Deja_Vu_NES_ScreenShot1.jpg

Deja_Vu_NES_ScreenShot2.jpg

MisterA

New in Town
Hello everyone..

I have been reading this forum for a while and decided to put in my first 5 cents here.. I was hoping someone would suggest this game (Deja Vu) but I didn't think anyone was familiar with it. If you like Deja Vu you should check out Borrowed Time. I believe it's the prequel.. Fantastic games these two, Playing these are kind of like playing a book. Gangsters on PC is a good one too. Strategy.. The Detective on Amiga was great. Mafia on PC is a game I still play from time to time. I am looking forward to Mafia 2. It looks GREAT, but I am more into the 20's and 30's. But.. I will certainly buy it. L.A. Noire is a game that has been in the making for a while, but they seem to have cancelled it.

Retro Russ

New in Town
I will have to check out Borrowed Time. Thanks for suggesting it.

If you like Deja Vu, there's also Deja Vu 2: Lost in Las Vegas. It's a DOS game, and can be downloaded at Home of the Underdogs. Home of the Underdogs appears to be a legal website for old, abandoned software, though, I'm not sure.

To quote Wikipedia,

"Deja Vu II: Lost in Las Vegas is a point-and-click adventure game, the sequel to Deja Vu: a Nightmare Comes True, set in the world of 1940s hard-boiled detective novels and movies. It was the last game made in the MacVenture series."

dejavu2-c.jpg

dejavu2.jpg

If you need an emulator for DOS, you can download DOSBox.

To quote DOSBox,

"DOSBox is a DOS-emulator that uses the SDL-library which makes DOSBox very easy to port to different platforms. DOSBox has already been ported to many different platforms, such as Windows, BeOS, Linux, MacOS X..."

DOSBox is compatible for Windows Vista 32 bit and 64 bit.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
They make Deja Vu for DOS, Retro Russ?

Awesome!

EDIT (again): Fixed it. I've beat A Nightmare Comes True, and I'm still working out Lost in Las Vegas. I'm having way too much fun, it's so suspenseful!

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I was able to find the first Deja Vu for download on an abandonware site as well. I've looked at it a little bit, but can't seem to find out how to cancel talking to someone or typing in a phone number at a few points early on in the game. The game asks me what I want to say, and I can't seem to say anything or cancel the action.

I'm definitely a big supporter of Dosbox. I've been using it several years for my old dos games. It truly works well, and without it, I wouldn't be able to play all my old games anymore.

mannySpaghetti

One of the Regulars
I was down at GameStop slapping down some dough for Modern Warfare II the other day and asked the clerk about MAFIA II. He told me that game's been pushed back again to MAY! Alls I can say is, I think these developers really want to make sure they get this game done right, It's gonna be fun being Vito!
GangsterSmiley_001.gif

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
mannySpaghetti said:
I was down at GameStop slapping down some dough for Modern Warfare II the other day and asked the clerk about MAFIA II. He told me that game's been pushed back again to MAY! Alls I can say is, I think these developers really want to make sure they get this game done right, It's gonna be fun being Vito!
GangsterSmiley_001.gif

Still can't wait for it. Still, I'd rather they take all the time they need to get the bugs worked out and things perfected. The wait will only make the final experience that much better.

sproily

Practically Family
C-dot said:
Last Christmas, I bought Bioshock for the fiancé, thinking it was some crazy "Tom Clancy" type game. I had no idea it was such a cool retro scenery! Now, I enjoy watching him play it, so I can look at Rapture, even though the splicers creep me out :p

He has Call of Duty: World at War, where he fights WWII battles from the Russians, Americans, Italians and such. I don't enjoy watching him play that one so much - the explosions make me crazy!

Whats up with women / girlfriends and them liking to watch their boyfriends play a game? I mean.. my girlfriend plays some games too by herself. I played Counter-Strike a while back and she bought it so she could play it herself. I was kind of amazed.

Mostly though she just likes to watch. I'll ask her if she wants to play and she just replies that she wants to see me do it.

I just think its weird lol

"I like watching you play"

[huh]

edit. I also played Bioshock when she wanted to watch. Such a coincidence! She was so freaked out by it also! When I made her play it (after a long fight, she just wouldnt!) she was really terrified.. lol Haha, im such a bad person!!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Talbot said:
Just ordered Call of Duty - World at War. Looking forward to it.

Anyone here had experience with it?

It's one of my fiancé's favourite games. Its very different from Modern Warfare for sure. The intros and storylines are quite cool - It's also neat how you can play the Russians and the Americans. They include a lot of famous historical scenes.

Kinney

New in Town
To revive an older thread:

L.A. Noire is in fact set to release this year on the PS3 and 360. They have kept development quite secret, because of the new technologies they are working on. Supposedly, they've developed a method by which they can record an actor from multiple angles and output a fully animated and textured face - which means they've developed the most realistic animations in-game to date. According to Game Informer, that is.

The more I hear about it, the more pumped up I get. The developers have also painstakingly recreated 1940s L.A. by looking at something like 180,000 period photographs of the area. L.A. will look so realistic that roads that don't exist anymore, but did then, make it into the game. To model the cars, they visited Jay Leno's garage. Over 90% of the crimes and mysteries in the game are based on real cases from the 40s.

Of course, there is no actual footage yet, but it's slated for a Fall 2010 release. Can't wait!

P.S. Mafia II looks pretty cool, also.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
astrang1 said:
Hello,
Just saw this months EDGE gaming magazine and it has a preview of LA Noire.
Based in LA 1947 you are a detective and the graphics and design look incredible.
There is a website up for it and it's due in the autumn on PS3 and XBOX 360

Best wishes,
Al

http://www.rockstargames.com/lanoire/splash.html

That one looks like it could be interesting. I don't have a PS3 or an Xbox 360, but I guess that could happen eventually.

cupcake

Familiar Face
Kinney said:
To revive an older thread:

L.A. Noire is in fact set to release this year on the PS3 and 360. They have kept development quite secret, because of the new technologies they are working on. Supposedly, they've developed a method by which they can record an actor from multiple angles and output a fully animated and textured face - which means they've developed the most realistic animations in-game to date. According to Game Informer, that is.

The more I hear about it, the more pumped up I get. The developers have also painstakingly recreated 1940s L.A. by looking at something like 180,000 period photographs of the area. L.A. will look so realistic that roads that don't exist anymore, but did then, make it into the game. To model the cars, they visited Jay Leno's garage. Over 90% of the crimes and mysteries in the game are based on real cases from the 40s.

Of course, there is no actual footage yet, but it's slated for a Fall 2010 release. Can't wait!

P.S. Mafia II looks pretty cool, also.

You've got me salivating! I'll have to tell my boyfriend. I hope he's as interested as I am as he owns the ps3 and buys all the games

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran