Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Bangs

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
I should have also mentioned you may want to check out Lauren Rennell's blog, she has a great post here showing how to get Paulette Goddard's bangs in "The Women." http://bobbypinblog.blogspot.com/2010/08/beautiful-women.html

Here is a Carmen Miranda style she calls the Happy Pompadour which shows fat bangs but she makes them with a hair tie at the top of the head and then rolls under. http://bobbypinblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/tha-happy-pompadour.html

Great links - thank you. I'm going to try a rat. I think part of it is that I'm not yet comfortable with bangs (I was so much younger when I wore them before!) that I'm a bit unsure. You've inspired me though!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for your input, C-dot!

The way they are cut--longer in the front and fading toward the hairline--does make them easy to sweep aside. The shortness could be difficult to manage, however. Styling would be a must to give them 'body' with either a straightener or standing pincurls.

I'm thinking of having them 'stepped' more, like this:

viktoriya-sasonkina-by-steven-meisel-17-524x700.jpg

(contemporary styling on model Viktoriya Sasonkina)

I have a chin-length bob and that's how I wear my bangs. They're very easy to deal with and you can style them curled or straight. Too long and I'm constantly pushing them out of my face, too short and they can be tough to style.

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
I have a chin-length bob and that's how I wear my bangs. They're very easy to deal with and you can style them curled or straight. Too long and I'm constantly pushing them out of my face, too short and they can be tough to style.

I think this is cute but not feasible for my hair type, not unless I swore to repeatedly straighten/style my bangs multiple times a day. I have very curly hair, and really struggle to keep the kink out of all my retro styling attempts. From past experience, my bangs will not lay like this when cut at that length, not even close. But maybe this is what allllll those stylists from my youth who chopped off my bangs at the quick were going for. The only way I can get a semi-smooth, straightish bang (never have I managed stick-straight or 'wispy') to last more than 30 min is to curl/pin tightly and hairspray like mad - then live in fear of rain and/or a humid day. It's been one of my woes since adolescence. As if having a high forehead wasn't enough...I got curly hair thrown in too. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner