Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Bangs

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Lady Day - since my post where more in regards to the hair except the bangs, could the threasd be titled Vintage Bangs and Hairstyles with bangs, or something similar? :)

Aurora

One of the Regulars
On the subject of bangs, or the dear old fringe if you're a Brit. I've got a bit of a "problem" - I want it curled under and round the sides, something like MissHannah's previous avatar - I've got the curl on the front but nothing on the side - How should I have it cut to take it to the max?

Also, any advice on setting a fringe, I usually use heat protection spray but it attracts dust! And settling lotion doesn't work.

Thanks ladies :D

Midgetqueen

New in Town
I know I'm late to the party, and it's a total digression, but in that last photo in LolitaHaze's 2/14/08 post, is anyone else seeing a resemblance between Paulette Goddard and Kaylee from Firefly? Well... maybe more Inara than Kaylee, actually. I'm seeing both.

Back to the subject at hand... I've long been self-conscious of my big forehead, and lately I've had thoughts on getting bangs again, but I've done the whole short blunt-ish curled thing shown in most pics in this thread. It makes me look about 10 years younger than I am (Which might be cool if I were older than my 23 years!) Has anyone had any luck with something a little more piece-y, and/or sideswept? Something like Audrey's from this photo or this one? These photos are from the 60's; is it too wrong-era to work something like that into a 40's hairstyle? For the benefit of big-foreheaded, vintage-interested ladies like myself, what would y'all advise?

It also seems like any time I've had bangs, I've had an absolute BEAR of a time getting them to style decently. The side-sweep seems the only thing they're willing to stay in.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
My big/high forehead is the main reason I want to get bangs...I'm thinking if I get eye-brow grazing ones, I can easily curl them up for when I want to go vintage, or leave them messy and natural for when I'm being more modern/lazy.
Something like this..
zooey.jpg

sixsexsix

Practically Family
heehee we call those "queen west" bangs cause all the girls who hang out on queen st w have them. i have to admit they are super easy to manage, but require trimmings every couple of weeks.

Spiffy said:
My big/high forehead is the main reason I want to get bangs...I'm thinking if I get eye-brow grazing ones, I can easily curl them up for when I want to go vintage, or leave them messy and natural for when I'm being more modern/lazy.
Something like this..
zooey.jpg

Marla

A-List Customer
My favorite 1940s bangs:

62_1_b_2364_1.JPG

Any thoughts on how successful this style is? I want to get bangs cut like this, but am intimidated by their shortness. Bette Davis seems to have had bangs in only one film, so maybe they didn't go over well.

Feedback on this style of bangs would be appreciated!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Any thoughts on how successful this style is? I want to get bangs cut like this, but am intimidated by their shortness. Bette Davis seems to have had bangs in only one film, so maybe they didn't go over well.

Bette Davis did wear bangs like this often, but they were usually curled upward or swept to the side. Bette was a big fan of the no-fuss look, so my guess is that they are easy to manage.

It all depends on the texture of your hair - If it's curly, you will probably have to blow dry them. When they're that short in such a small section, they also tend to stick out awkwardly if they get slept on or bent somehow. Overall, they're easy to style in different ways, and do look very cute :)

Marla

A-List Customer
Thanks for your input, C-dot!

The way they are cut--longer in the front and fading toward the hairline--does make them easy to sweep aside. The shortness could be difficult to manage, however. Styling would be a must to give them 'body' with either a straightener or standing pincurls.

I'm thinking of having them 'stepped' more, like this:

viktoriya-sasonkina-by-steven-meisel-17-524x700.jpg

(contemporary styling on model Viktoriya Sasonkina)

Marla

A-List Customer
I too like the Sasonkina bangs better.

If anyone has photos of similar looking bangs, do share! I haven't been able to find more than what is here already.

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
Resurrecting this thread for a bit. I've been trying my hand at faux bangs lately and I keep running into the same problem - my forehead. :( I have a high one, you see, (a five-head instead of four, as Tyra Banks would say) and when I go to pin the roll to my hairline, it ends up with the roll of bangs so high that it doesn't really look like bangs. It looks like, well, a roll right at my hairline. I've been trying to curl the bangs into a bigger circle, but then I run into the problem of not grasping enough of the hair at my hairline with the pin for the bang to be stable. My hair is fine so I can't create very much bulk at the front either.

Some of you may relate to this and know what I'm talking about, or maybe it's just me and my lack of dexterity. Any suggestions?

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
Resurrecting this thread for a bit. I've been trying my hand at faux bangs lately and I keep running into the same problem - my forehead. :( I have a high one, you see, (a five-head instead of four, as Tyra Banks would say) and when I go to pin the roll to my hairline, it ends up with the roll of bangs so high that it doesn't really look like bangs. It looks like, well, a roll right at my hairline. I've been trying to curl the bangs into a bigger circle, but then I run into the problem of not grasping enough of the hair at my hairline with the pin for the bang to be stable. My hair is fine so I can't create very much bulk at the front either.

Some of you may relate to this and know what I'm talking about, or maybe it's just me and my lack of dexterity. Any suggestions?

I've been using the option she does here that involves twisting your front section off to the side then pulling down a faux-bang shape. It's not rolled into itself which might be good for you!

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars

I don't have bangs either so when I want bumper bangs, I have to do faux too. I roll mine so they hang lower than the line...I also use a rat that I made which helps keep things in place so I don't have to use tons of pins and be readjusting all day. This way the only pins I have to use are one on each side to help cover the rat. Unless you're trying to get super big bumper bangs like Carmen Miranda, I notice that vintage bangs tend to sit just below the hair line.

6442915473_af41444775_z.jpg

How far back are you pulling hair from to make your bangs? I go the true vintage and make a V starting about halfway back from my forehead, which might give you a little more "oomph" in your roll. I've seen them also go farther back if you're a little more daring like some starlets did in Hollywood in the 40s.

Last edited:

Clabbergirl

One of the Regulars
I don't have bangs either so when I want bumper bangs, I have to do faux too. I roll mine so they hang lower than the line...I also use a rat that I made which helps keep things in place so I don't have to use tons of pins and be readjusting all day. This way the only pins I have to use are one on each side to help cover the rat. Unless you're trying to get super big bumper bangs like Carmen Miranda, I notice that vintage bangs tend to sit just below the hair line.

6442915473_af41444775_z.jpg

How far back are you pulling hair from to make your bangs? I go the true vintage and make a V starting about halfway back from my forehead, which might give you a little more "oomph" in your roll. I've seen them also go farther back if you're a little more daring like some starlets did in Hollywood in the 40s.

Your bangs look great here. You're using the rat, I take? I need to make one of those. I haven't been sectioning off as much as hair as you have, or as the video Zombiegirl posted, not near as much. Might be something to that. I'm thinking some of this might be mental too. GI Jane, looking at your bang roll, mine is probably close to that as far as placement, but on my face, it seemed wrong. Flashbacks to my childhood where dozens of bad haircuts, stylists 'trimming' naturally kinky bangs when wet that shrunk up 75% when dry...ugh.

Thank you both for your suggestions. I'm going to have to try using more hair, a rat, and the twist-bang technique. Will post photos if I get something I like.

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
Your bangs look great here. You're using the rat, I take? I need to make one of those. I haven't been sectioning off as much as hair as you have, or as the video Zombiegirl posted, not near as much. Might be something to that. I'm thinking some of this might be mental too. GI Jane, looking at your bang roll, mine is probably close to that as far as placement, but on my face, it seemed wrong. Flashbacks to my childhood where dozens of bad haircuts, stylists 'trimming' naturally kinky bangs when wet that shrunk up 75% when dry...ugh.

Thank you both for your suggestions. I'm going to have to try using more hair, a rat, and the twist-bang technique. Will post photos if I get something I like.

Yes, there is a rat in there. I made mine out of some old pantyhose and pillow stuffing from a hobby store. I can't seem to get a good curve with a hair rat like I've seen ladies who post tutorials on their blogs, so I stuck a small length of beading wire in with the stuffing so I could shape it better similar to those old Hairdinis you used to be able to get to make buns on the fly. I'm sure if you want fatter bangs like Carmen Miranda or Lisa Freemont, you could just make a fatter hair roll, but either way, I find a hair rat is so much better for long term hold, especially if your trying to get your bangs to sit lower than your hair line. I hate using thousands of bobby pins and being an active person, I don't have to rely on pins drooping; the rat stays in all day.

Do you think that you may be just thinking that bangs look strange on you? I have never ever had bangs so when I first went faux, I thought it looked weird on me too in terms of placement but I got positive responses from everyone that saw me with them. Your placement might be right but maybe you just need to make the roll a little bigger so it just looks like they are hanging down further over your forehead?

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner