Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Bangs

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
KittyT said:
You have a round face shape. Given that, I would stay away from bangs if I were you. They will make your face look rounder. With a round face shape, leaving your forehead exposed helps to elongate the shape of your face.

But that's just my two cents. It's only hair - if you don't like it, it will grow back.

I dunno, I've got a round face, and they seemed to look ok on me when I had them (of course I may be completely delusional lol)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
TheKitschGoth said:
I dunno, I've got a round face, and they seemed to look ok on me when I had them (of course I may be completely delusional lol)

For gals with round faces, they look better when they're short, Bettie bangs. Yours look cute on you and are a good length. I promise, if you have a round face and your bangs are long, your face really will look fatter.

MissHannah

One Too Many
You could try getting some layers cut rather than bangs and then you would have the versatility of being able to style the shorter hair towards your face or sweeping it off. Kind of like Rita Hayworth:

RitaHayworth.jpg

ShortClara

One Too Many
Go get a cheap wig with bangs on - then you'll see what they look like! That's what I did and I liked them so off I chopped :)

The length of the bangs makes a big difference, too. I look good in the long ones, but halfway up my forehead and I look like Bitchy McMean Face.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Blondie said:
I know Miss Bitchy McMean !!!!!lol
We all know her...

I like Claudette Colbert's wispy ones...
claudette_colbert.jpg

Greta Garbo...
Greta-Garbo-Photograph-I10045409.jpeg

Joan Crawford (but granted, this is from "Rain" in which she is a baaaaad na d tasteless girl)
youngCrawfordBig.jpg

Paulette Goddard...
goddardp.jpg

I mean, we all love Bettie Page, but there are SO many role models out there! Different hair for everyone.

Never had the courage for bangs myself since a long and traumatic growing-out period long ago...

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Spiffy the funny thing is, to me you don't look like you have a round face at all. You've got a high forehead and more of an oval shape. Or rather, you probably know this better yourself! I have a heart-shaped face and bangs work well, my favorite are the 40's bangs curled inwards high up on the head (you still see a lot of forehead then). It looks like what MissHannah sometimes has, or the glam bangs-link I posted.

sixsexsix

Practically Family
claudette_colbert.jpg

these are perfection! i have tried countless times to have this little wave in my thin bangs, but to no avail.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
would this look go well with bangs and how do I achive it?

I really like this fairly simple hairstyle without too many curls, but sortof tucked under in the ends..

Do you think it would look good with bangs? Because that is what I have..

also any tips on how to achive this style? Which type of rollers (hotsticks or rollers) and how/where to put them in?

ditacurls.jpg

source The Fashion Spot

this is how long my bangs are at the moment..

Foto65.jpg

miss_elise

Practically Family
evidently, looks fabulous with bangs...lol

seems like she just had rollers or hot sticks and rolled up the ends... but then i'm no expert... probably will require some experimentation...

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Darhling,
I don't know how your hair takes to a curl or if it's all one length (besides the bangs). I think that look could be achieved with hot sticks by taking sections and just rolling them under. For my look, I set my hair in "2 rows". I take sections of hair from about halfway down my head and roll them under. I do this all around my head and then I'll roll under sections of the remaining hair that is "under" the previously rolled hair. Kind of like dividing your head horizontally. Its not an exact science and since my hair takes a curl very easily, I don't keep the hot sticks in very long. Also, by using larger sections of hair you'll get more wave and less curl and vice versa. And if its a little too curly when you take the sticks out, you give it a good brushing--that usually relaxes some of the curl. I think I played with my hair for about a month before I found the best way to curl it. Everyone's hair is different and so you'll have to find the style/curl that best enhances it.
I also think that hairstyle looks good with bangs too.
When you curl your hair be sure to post some pictures here! :)

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
thank you BonnieJean! that was a really good description! My hair take curl really well, it is curly by nature so it holds it well too..

Right now I only have regular curlers so I am going to try to use them with your description and see how it turns out and if I need to invest in some hotsticks. My only problem is that I have so much hair and that it is really thick, so I use so many curlers if I roll up a full head of hair - I roughly use a 20 piece set 2 times! but again, that is if I roll up everything..

This is how my hair curls naturally with a blowdryer :

x1pqN4SVrgvmykwquXSwVmHEhrsHJJ-MDrC.jpg

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Darhling,
Using regular curlers would probably work just as well.
The only reason I use Hot Sticks is that:
1.) I'm kind of lazy and don't want to take the time to set my hair in regular rollers. With Hot Sticks I'll roll up a few sections and then I'll take some of the first rolled ones out and so on. If I leave my hair in the Hot Sticks until they are completely cooled, I'd look like Little Orphan Annie! (I have naturally wavy hair)
2.)I've tried to sleep in regular rollers and ended up being very grumpy the next day because I tossed and turned all night and got very little quality sleep. I also don't want my hubby's last memory of me before drifting off to sleep is me with a head full of curlers.:)
3.)And now that I think I've finally found "my look", I'm going to keep using the Hot Sticks. And they're a lot more gentle on my hair that a curling iron--I've fried my hair a lot in the past with those!
You've got very pretty curly hair. I wish mine would do that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner