Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Bangs

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
Sorry if this is a repeat question :)

I'm getting bored with my hair (like most of us do), and I'm toying with the idea of getting bangs to go along with my long layered bob.
My question is, are there any 40's styles that incorporate bangs with medium length hair? I've seen plenty of 50's styles, but I don't see too much for the 40's (outside of pictures of college girls).

Thanks!

Sunny

One Too Many
I'll weigh in real fast - lots of girls know more about this than I. :) The bangs-with-pageboy cut actually came in in the 1940s. I'd guess 1946, actually; pattern envelopes are a big tip-off for me, since they can be dated by number. The look was extremely popular and held on for a long time, which is probably why it's so identified with the 1950s. Something to give it a more 1940s look is to pull it up on the sides, especially with little ribbon ties. That's not something I've seen in the 1950s as much, but it's popular throughout the 1940s.

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
Sunny said:
I'll weigh in real fast - lots of girls know more about this than I. :) The bangs-with-pageboy cut actually came in in the 1940s. I'd guess 1946, actually; pattern envelopes are a big tip-off for me, since they can be dated by number. The look was extremely popular and held on for a long time, which is probably why it's so identified with the 1950s. Something to give it a more 1940s look is to pull it up on the sides, especially with little ribbon ties. That's not something I've seen in the 1950s as much, but it's popular throughout the 1940s.

Sunny, how do you date patterns? I had a dress made from a pattern and I'd love to date it. Can I pm you? I don't want to get OT.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
NoirDame said:
Sunny, how do you date patterns? I had a dress made from a pattern and I'd love to date it. Can I pm you? I don't want to get OT.

the book "Blueprints of fashion" has the best list in the back - it tells which pattern numbers came out in which year! i have the 40s one, there is also a 50s book as well that i don't have, i'd assume it has a similar listing for 50s patterns.

maybe someone knows of an online resource though. i'd offer to look up a pattern in my book for you, but i'm at school allll day.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Barbara and Paulette

Barbara Stanwyck and Paulette Goddard awlways come to mind for me when it comes to 40's bangs...

Barbara:
bs2.jpg

stanwyck.jpg

Paulette:
3367952.jpg

goddard1sm.jpg

paulette-goddard1.jpg

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
Thank you for the pictures, Lolita!
I've looked at many pictures of Barbara Stanwyck, but I've never seen one with her wearing bangs, so these are incredibly helpful. My hair is too fine and thin to wear rolls (you can see scalp when I pull the front up), and I've been searching for a vintage style that would work without going super short (as my dear hubby requested). You're my hero :)

Sunny

One Too Many
Those are great pictures, LolitaHaze! That's exactly what I was talking about.

NoirDame said:

I use this ebay guide:
Dating Vintage Patterns by Number: 1939-1960

It works great! It's also fun to make my guess on what year a pattern's from, then go look it up and check myself. :D

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
You are welocme. Good luck. I am sure there are many more actresses out there with fabulous 40's bangs, but those are the two gals I think of first.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
:eek:fftopic: What in all the world is Paulette wearing? Cowboyish semi-gauntlets on bare arms? And her friend, studded leather galore! That goes to remind us that everything was not elegant and stylish back then....

roots66

One of the Regulars
Helen Troy said:
:eek:fftopic: What in all the world is Paulette wearing? Cowboyish semi-gauntlets on bare arms? And her friend, studded leather galore! That goes to remind us that everything was not elegant and stylish back then....

(It's just a costume from The Women...she and a few other characters were spending the obligatory six weeks' Nevada residency at a dude ranch in Reno while waiting for their divorces to come through.)

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
LolitaHaze said:
Barbara Stanwyck and Paulette Goddard awlways come to mind for me when it comes to 40's bangs...

Barbara:
bs2.jpg

This hairstyle is my hair inspiration. My hair is very thick and it all hangs down in my face. I prefer to have cropped bangs because I'd look like Joey Ramone if I didn't. lol

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Snookie said:
Curly bangs were very popular in the 40's, too. Wish I could figure out how to do these.

snookie, i haven't done it in ages, but years ago (my hair was at least shoulder length at the time) i managed to pull something like this off. after taking out a tight pincurl set, i played around with piling the front pieces up and pinning them down where i wanted them. somehow they managed to stay up - through a night of dancing at Satin (Satan's) Ballroom in the middle of summer. unfortunately i don't have any pictures though.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
You can get these by either doing very small tight pincurls or a very tiny curling iron! :D I've done them before, and they create a nice fluff! I think it's a 3/8" iron. Take a rectangle section, divide into about 6 smaller sections (more sections if you have more hair, less if you have less hair) and curl starting at the root, working your way down to the ends. You should end up with a standing pincurl. clip and let cool, then fluff away, and if you like them more formed, brush selected strands over your finger. :D

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
~*Red*~ said:
You can get these by either doing very small tight pincurls or a very tiny curling iron! :D I've done them before, and they create a nice fluff! I think it's a 3/8" iron. Take a rectangle section, divide into about 6 smaller sections (more sections if you have more hair, less if you have less hair) and curl starting at the root, working your way down to the ends. You should end up with a standing pincurl. clip and let cool, then fluff away, and if you like them more formed, brush selected strands over your finger. :D

yes, this is exactly what i meant! ;)

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Women

Helen Troy said:

is the name of the film. You MUST see it, it is required viewing for vintage enthusiasts!
The Women is basically poking fun at the fashion victim socialites of 1939 New York.
Paulette's character (I use the word generously) in the film is that of a gold-digger chorus girl. This scene is set at a dude ranch in Reno, where all the gals go to get their divorces, explaining the tackyness and the cowboy effects.
I hope to grow old to be like her companion - the kind of woman who wears her pearls and diamonds with everything, darling.
There's a wonderful fashion show sequence in the film, in color (the rest of the film is B&W) and the most amazing Adrian clothes throughout! Rent it now!

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
Miss 1929 said:
is the name of the film. You MUST see it, it is required viewing for vintage enthusiasts!
The Women is basically poking fun at the fashion victim socialites of 1939 New York.
Paulette's character (I use the word generously) in the film is that of a gold-digger chorus girl. This scene is set at a dude ranch in Reno, where all the gals go to get their divorces, explaining the tackyness and the cowboy effects.
I hope to grow old to be like her companion - the kind of woman who wears her pearls and diamonds with everything, darling.
There's a wonderful fashion show sequence in the film, in color (the rest of the film is B&W) and the most amazing Adrian clothes throughout! Rent it now!
Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner