Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Barbour jackets

Professor47

New in Town
As much as I love the look of a Barbour (especially the International) and owned several I gave up and sold them all due to the bad smell they eventually take up. If you buy them new it’s ok for a couple of years but then they start to progressively take that musty smell that I detest. I bought a new old stock from the 80s on eBay that was looking brand new a ne clearly never worn but you could smell it from the other side of the house.

Clearly they are made to be used outdoor where the smell is less of a concern but for walking around the city I think they are impractical. Similarly as for leather, they are also not warm and make you sweat like a pig if the sun hits you. I don’t know but for me the downsides are too many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Professor47

New in Town
A few days ago I ran into a Q&A on the web covering about 5 years worth of advise by a spokesperson for an important Barbour wholeseller ( phillipmoris, if you can believe that ) and the musty smell issue ( not wax ) just kept coming up over and over. The advise was always the same - spray Febreeze on the liner, but make sure it doesn't get on the wax cotton. I would think the jacket on a flat surface could be framed in with aluminium foil and the liner treated. The agent seemed to be in close contact with Barbour and it was the only officially sanctioned treatment for musty odor. I have not attempted it since my 25-30 year old Beaufort hasn't been affected, but I just wanted to share the advice.

Harry Gooch

One of the Regulars
I think part of the problem is how often the jacket gets wet. If it's wet, be sure to hang it to dry in a dry place, not a damp basement. My Beaufort is 25 years old, give or take, and doesn't have the infamous pong.

It does faintly smell like a canvas tent, however, there is no mustiness.

Professor47

New in Town
I think part of the problem is how often the jacket gets wet. If it's wet, be sure to hang it to dry in a dry place, not a damp basement. My Beaufort is 25 years old, give or take, and doesn't have the infamous pong.

It does faintly smell like a canvas tent, however, there is no mustiness.

Professor47

New in Town
Just a few Barbour historical items to share. Barbour has an archive tracing the development and years of manufacture of many ( but not all ) of its iconic models which is easily accessible on the web. The company has gone through phases targeting different groups and designing for their specific use. In the early 20th cent. it was fishermen. By the 1920's they shifted to agriculture ( the UK is exceptionally muddy throughout the year ) A Barbour heir was into motorcycle racing in the 1930's so that would be the beginning of the International jacket. During WWII Commander Phillips of the Silent Service ( submarines ) commissioned Barbour to create a suit called the Ursula ( his vessel ) which is the first time Barbour designed for the military. By the 50's, 60's and 70'S Barbour wanted to attract hunters. The company returned to military apparel during the Falklands War in the early 80's with Captain Cotton's jacket ( an extensively modified Durham ) for the para troopers. Beginning in the 80's the focus was on the equestrian set as well a country house aristocratic hunters. By the 21st cent. Barbour joined the oldest profession by concentrating on lifestyle ranges with so many designs it's almost impossible to keep track of them. Except for trad classics like the Bedale and Beaufort, the company has contracted to manufacture off shore ( very form fitting as opposed to the company's famous generously sized cut.) As far as reproofing I've heard excellent reports about New England Reproofers ( New Hampshire ) who will also do waxed cotton specific repairs, as well as clean the liner and cord cuffs and collar.

Gilbern

New in Town
Hello All,

I used to have a colleague who had a Bushman which I’m sure was suede.
However, whilst searching for one online, I can only find either a waxed cotton one of leather.

Did Barbour ever make a suede Bushman or was my colleague one just a well worn in leather one?!

TIA,
G

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner