Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Bathing Suits

synapse_shock

New in Town
Knit bathing suit

I found this pattern for a knit bathing suit at yesterknits:

ang189.jpg

It calls for angora and nylon yarn, not wool. They also have some fun old style full men suits.

K by the bay

Familiar Face
That's a great shot of you Colleency. And I love the suit. That's really neat what you did with photoshop. I thought it was real. I'm working on getting my pic up too. I'd put a different background on like you did but it will probably be me in my kitchen surrounded by stacks of dusty books.

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
Vintage Bathing Suits?

I am going to Palm Springs this April and wanted to get a vintage bathing suit. I am allergic to wool :(, so I think my favorite decade, the 1930 is out. What decade would you recommend for me? Is there anything about vintage bathing suits I should know? Any good website I should go with? Anyone own a vintage bathing suit?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
NicolettaRose said:
I am going to Palm Springs this April and wanted to get a vintage bathing suit. I am allergic to wool :(, so I think my favorite decade, the 1930 is out. What decade would you recommend for me? Is there anything about vintage bathing suits I should know? Any good website I should go with? Anyone own a vintage bathing suit?

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=6195&highlight=bathing+suits

and

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=7897&highlight=bathing+suits

and

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=8021&highlight=bathing+suits

were all easily found using the Search Function and the words Bathing Suits

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
None of these threads really concern what I am interested in. I was wondering about orginal bathing suits from the 1940's/1930's if not wool, I am not interested in repos. So if anyone if could let me know anything they know about non-repo bathing suits.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
The repros show examples of other fabrics that can be, and were, used. Have you tried performing a basic Google search? This information can easily be found, if you vary your search terms until you find what you are looking for.

Incidentally, sun, chlorine, and salt water will run the risk of destroying a vintage bathing suit; if you are interested in preserving your clothing it may be wise to explore the avenue of reproductions for this type of wear.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I'm with jitterbugdoll.
I have two gorgeous suits in perfect condition - one from the 30s and one from the 40s - and I wouldn't dream of wearing them in any type of water. I would only wear them for lounging around in, and then only in the shade.

I know they're not as nice, but if you want to go in the water I'd also suggest a repro. Or maybe you can find a real vintage suit for cheap and use it as your "test" bathing suit; ie, the suit that you don't mind if it gets a little wear and tear. Just a thought :)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Amy Jeanne said:
I'm with jitterbugdoll.
I have two gorgeous suits in perfect condition - one from the 30s and one from the 40s - and I wouldn't dream of wearing them in any type of water. I would only wear them for lounging around in, and then only in the shade.

I know they're not as nice, but if you want to go in the water I'd also suggest a repro. Or maybe you can find a real vintage suit for cheap and use it as your "test" bathing suit; ie, the suit that you don't mind if it gets a little wear and tear. Just a thought :)

Exactly. Plus, water can further weaken and stress aged fabric, and I'd hate to be at the beach and find out that my bathing suit was disintegrating. :)

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
I wear a lot of everyday vintage like everyday clothing, so if something wears out I generally just take that as something normally happens with clothing. Most of of my vintage does not just sit in a closet, so a bathing suit is going to be used. If it shrivels up, I'll just buy another.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Well I suppose you look upon it a bit differently then quite a lot of us do here..in that we consider vintage pieces as clothing to be careful and guarded for historical purposes. Simply because there is not an endless supply, and one can't always 'just buy more' of a particular style or rare item.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
NicolettaRose said:
I wear a lot of everyday vintage like everyday clothing, so if something wears out I generally just take that as something normally happens with clothing. Most of of my vintage does not just sit in a closet, so a bathing suit is going to be used. If it shrivels up, I'll just buy another.

Interesting that you say that, when in another thread you mention wanting to create a collection that can be viewed and appreciated by future generations.

To each her own, I say.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
NicolettaRose said:

I used to feel this way too about my vintage bathing suits (as you can see from my earlier posts in this thread) and sometimes I still do wear my vintage bathing suits in the water, but generally I use them for lounging. Wearing a vintage suit in chlorinated water is scary when you take it off and don't know what it will look like when it dries. Will it regain its shape? Will it have weird splotches on it? Will the elastic (if any) crack? Plus, I like a little bit of a tan so my modern bikinis are better for that. (I use sunscreen, don't worry!)

However, if you are set on a vintage suit, just search on ebay. Make sure you know your measurements (I remember from another thread you mentioned mis-fitting your bust, so be careful!! :) ) and see what's out there! Hurry, because Viva is coming up and the prices skyrocket around that time. All the vintage suits I've bought on ebay are in great condition and were under $30 with shipping.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Another thing to watch out for with vintage bathing suits is that a lot of them from the '30s onward got their stretch from Lastex, which was a sort of rubber/cotton elastic yarn. When these suits turn up, they're often already stretched out from wear, and if they aren't, it doesn't take long to get them that way, and they end up sagging and bagging where you'd least want. (Speaking from experience here...)

miss noir

New in Town
i have two Esther Williams suits, and i completely adore them - i actually started selling them, as i loved them so much!

for all you other ladies that love this line, her first range of vintage repro. clothing is out very soon. i'm dying to see what they have to offer :)

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree with you ladies, and like Jitterbug pointed out, in another thread you were talking about the value of your collection and building it up. Being that you're having trouble finding a vintage bathing suit to begin with, I'd imagine that it's not that easy to just "buy another one".
Also, if you're looking for vintage bathing suits make sure you look at what you are buying very carefully. Many vintage suits are made of wool, and you are allergic to it.

I have 6 bathing suits from the late 30's and 40's. I love all of them but wouldn't dare go in the water in them. It's not a matter of what I spent on them, it's a matter of me wanting to preserve a beautiful piece of history. I've worn a few just to lie out in. I love the style. Although they cover more than the suits of today, they are rather flirty. I think they are so feminine and pretty.
Actually, one of my prized possessions is a vintage "beach dress", at least that's what the tag says. It's a late 40's Schiaperelli swim dress with a white background and lovely multi-colored flowers all over it. I have yet to wear it, I just wouldn't want to do anything to damage it's mint condition.

Let's face it, all of us ladies wear our vintage. But, we wear it with care, treasure it, treat it like the lovely piece of history it is. None of our vintage pieces are replaceable, we can't just simply go out and buy another. Of course we can always buy more, but I know that if I did something to destroy one of my lovely pieces I certainly wouldn't just say "oh well, I'll go buy another". Even if there were 50 other pieces like it, it is rare to find the exact same one, hence I would regret ruining something special. One of the things that most of us have in common is that we understand the irreplaceable value of the items we own. So yes, we could all go and buy more, any one of us could have that attitude. But with collecting vintage comes a love and respect for the past, which is why I like you ladies here on the lounge. You understand that what we have is amazing and special and not something like a modern pair of sweats that you can just throw away after a few wears.

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
miss noir said:
i have two Esther Williams suits, and i completely adore them - i actually started selling them, as i loved them so much!

for all you other ladies that love this line, her first range of vintage repro. clothing is out very soon. i'm dying to see what they have to offer :)

I'll look forward to that clothing line. :) I love my EW suits too. I bought 2 in the early 90s and they still look like new despite many wearings & washings. My mom recalls I was so excited (there was nothing else like them available at the time, that I was aware of) I walked into the store and blurted out "Do you have any Ethel Merman swimsuits?" Blank stare.

I just purchased a third EW 2-piece classic in solid red - the fabric is satin-y, very pin up. They've got the style I love & I don't worry about them getting ruined. I would never wear my vintage suits in the water. They live a happy retirement in a 1930s suitcase, and get trotted out for the occasional photo, or lounging only.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Personally, with vintage, if I can't wear it, I don't want it (of course there are exceptions -- I've been holding onto a pink satin 1940's high-waisted girdle in hopes that my waist will magically grow longer and it will fit!). That's why I don't want to buy a vintage bathing suit.

I understand what you mean about not being interested in repros, NicolettaRose. However, I 100% trust repros from Revamp Vintage and I know that in a lot of the garments they sell they use the exact same fabrics that would have been used in the past. A lot of the descriptions state that.

I had an interview with Annamarie, the owner of Revamp, yesterday, for an internship and her philosophy for Revamp is really great. It's not like Stop Staring -- Revamp is all about historical accuracy and recreating vintage so it can be worn today.

When I get enough dough I'm definitely gonna buy a bathing suit from them. I'm in love with the "Ruby" one!

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
Thanks Pidgeon Toe--I will check them out. I am really not into stop starring and websites like that, The clothing is somewhat cute, but it is so gosh darn Rockabilly, All of the models look like they are trying to be Bette Page or some other pinup model. I was just talking about this with my friend who works as a photographer.

:eek:fftopic: I am sorry, but I am so sick of seeing modern "retro pin up" models everywhere *trying* to be Bette Page or Bettie Grable. I really wish "retro" themed models would do something ELSE beside pinup, dress like a 1950's housewife, wear a ball gown, do partial nude in the style of early Vargas, or of the elegant poses inspired by the 1920's or 1930's, these were so much more classy. There was more to the 40's then pinup models and more to the 1950's then Bette Page, not to bash these looks, I just wish models/websites like stop starring would expand thier looks a little more beyond just them.

Anyway, stop starring has some cute items, but a vintage dress 1. is made of much better quality fabric 2. is probably cheaper.

I think this is why I like to look at Revamp, she has very good articles, and the models look wonderul, like they are actually of the period. Her 20's stuff is great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats