Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VINTAGE Brooks Brothers straw hat. Exceptionally tightly woven crown! Small.

tweedydon

Call Me a Cab
This is lovely, and exceptionally high quality; this hat appears to be artisanally handwoven, and the crown is exceptionally tight.... my suspicion as to how this was acheived (i.e., what sort of person did this) won't be repeated, but I'll just say that this is a vintage hat, and weaving of this fineness requires very, very small hands and fingers... Hats like this are now rarely made.

This has a leather interior sweatband, embossed with the Brooks logo, and the initial "R G K Jr". The weave throughout is exceptionally tight, and there are no loose ends of broken straws. It has a black, tightly woven hatband. This is a vintage hat, and so there's some very minor overcurve to the brim of the sort that would occur after a few wears; nothing that couldn't be easily re-shaped if you'd like. (This is shown in the third picture--yes, it's minor!) The band is raher dusty, but that's an easy fix. Overall, this is in Very Good condition.

No size tag, but the interior measures 21 3/4, so I could estimate it at around a US 7 1/8, or (more likely) slightly smaller.

Asking just $32, or offer, boxed and shipped in the USA.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
That's a milan, it's basically a ribbon of woven straw, stitched in a spiral, overlapping starting from the middle; the top of the crown. It's a very different process than the hand-weaving of a panama hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80