Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage candy that is still on the shelves

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
Hi Folks

I used to love Mallo Cups. They came with a card board card inside with a number on it. say 5-10-25-100

Each number was a point. When you accumulated 500 points, you mailed the cards back to the mallo cup maker and they send you a box of mallo cups 12 to a box if I recall.

We took the family out for an outing at the zoo this weekend and we saw Mallo Cups for sale in the gift shop and it made me think of this thread. They still put the cards inside, however, you no longer get a box of the candy when you reach 500 points, you're supposed to send away for a catalog to redeem prizes from with your points. As far as the candy went, my husband said they didn't taste as good as he remembered.

We took the family out for an outing at the zoo this weekend and we saw Mallo Cups for sale in the gift shop and it made me think of this thread. They still put the cards inside, however, you no longer get a box of the candy when you reach 500 points, you're supposed to send away for a catalog to redeem prizes from with your points. As far as the candy went, my husband said they didn't taste as good as he remembered.

Unfortunately, nothing tastes the way we remember it because they have changed the recipes they use to make them either cheaper to make or "healthier"---code word for tastes like cardboard. :p I can say that Flicks taste the same but are smaller---go figure.

Paul Roerich

"A List" Customer
e7de2ece.jpg

Seraph1227

One of the Regulars
Here in the Greater Cleveland Ohio area we have a store named B.A. Sweeties. In addition to what we remember as penny candy, they have Zagnut. One of my moms faves, her most favorite was three musketeers.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Here in the Greater Cleveland Ohio area we have a store named B.A. Sweeties. In addition to what we remember as penny candy, they have Zagnut. One of my moms faves, her most favorite was three musketeers.[/When my brother and I were growing up we loved it when "Uncle" Al (Tokar), a school friend of Dad's, came over to visit, for he'd always bring a grocery sack full of the penny candies that he sold at his business, the "Bag-A-Sweet Candy Company".

As far as candy bars are cncerned, I always liked "Chicken Dinner".

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
I remember my father buying Bit-o-honey for us out of a vending machine while on vacation to the Smoky Mountains. It's one of my earliest clear childhood vacation memories. I don't imagine I was more than 3 or 4 years old, so that would but the year around 1969 or 70, although I know it's been around much , much longer than that. I still love it to this day and now buy it at the dollar store for a buck a bag.

I remember my father buying Bit-o-honey for us out of a vending machine while on vacation to the Smoky Mountains. It's one of my earliest clear childhood vacation memories. I don't imagine I was more than 3 or 4 years old, so that would but the year around 1969 or 70, although I know it's been around much , much longer than that. I still love it to this day and now buy it at the dollar store for a buck a bag.

I haven't thought about those in years Matt. I liked bit-o-honeys when I was a kid too. I'm gonna have to scout out for them next time I'm in the dollar store.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

I remember those well. The dang things are so hard and sticky that it felt like you were going to yank the teeth right out of your head. :rofl:

Kitty Kahlo

New in Town
0322e1e9aa56ebfd.jpg

Peanutbutter bars (1938). To this day I have only seen them either at my granny's house or at someone else's granny's house. Maybe there is a special Grandma store that keeps these in stock but they're delicious. lol

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Saw this thread and just had to post this story:

I used to work at a State psychiatric hospital. Stored in the basement of one of our old buildings was a huge stockpile of Civil Defense supplies, put there during either the Truman or the Eisenhower administrations. About 1985 or 1986, the hospital administration decided to get rid of all the old, out-dated supplies that had been stored there since the first days of the Cold War. The stockpile of Civil Defense supplies included water, medications, bandages, toilet paper, canned foods, and a huge amount of hard candy (like jaw breaker kind of candy). The hospital administration, being the cheapskates that they were, packaged up the old hard candy in little individual packages and gave it to all the employees as a "Christmas bonus present."

I must say, recieving 40 year-old candy as a Christmas present DID NOT have the desired effect the hospital administration wanted.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Saw this thread and just had to post this story:

I used to work at a State psychiatric hospital. Stored in the basement of one of our old buildings was a huge stockpile of Civil Defense supplies, put there during either the Truman or the Eisenhower administrations. About 1985 or 1986, the hospital administration decided to get rid of all the old, out-dated supplies that had been stored there since the first days of the Cold War. The stockpile of Civil Defense supplies included water, medications, bandages, toilet paper, canned foods, and a huge amount of hard candy (like jaw breaker kind of candy). The hospital administration, being the cheapskates that they were, packaged up the old hard candy in little individual packages and gave it to all the employees as a "Christmas bonus present."

I must say, recieving 40 year-old candy as a Christmas present DID NOT have the desired effect the hospital administration wanted.
Aged candy Big Man...aged. :D
Hey, at least you know it was made with real sugar. ;)

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Remember that pink gum(probably already covered here) that came with theme cards, Batman, Superman, Football(soccer) Man From U.N.C.L.E etc. One of the most popular was the series American Civil War. Not only did you get crds but also realistic paper money though I cant remember if it was Confederate or Union or both.
My first introduction to the American Civil War and Cavalry came at the same time as these gum cards and 'F' Troop appeared on British TV.
I remember the Civil War series, I had over 100 of the cards and a thick wad of the Confederate money. Every card was about some event of the war. I think only a few packages had the money.

It must have been to commemorate the centennial of the war because they came out in the early sixties.

Everyone else was collecting hockey cards but I never cared for hockey. In Canada we got hockey cards in the same format, in the US they got baseball cards.

Moby

Familiar Face
Anyone remember "Bonomo's Turkish Taffy"? "Smack it and crack it" was the sales pitch. They came back 2 years ago after being gone for decades. You can buy them at Cracker Barrel restaurants and a few other places.

Is that why 3 out of 4 dentists choose Crest, and the 4th hands out Bit O Honey at his reception desk? :D
Machine-spun cotton candy was invented in 1897 by John C. Wharton, a confectioner, and William Morrison, a dentist. Joseph Lascaux, who patented the name "cotton candy", invented a similar machine in 1921; he was also a dentist. :suspicious:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy