Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Something my buddy built.

Before
y8ede5e2.jpg

After
anapa5ev.jpg

fashion frank

One Too Many
New Toy

Hi gang , I have been very busy at work and at working on my 31 A when i have time .

After burning up a set of points it was time for a new set and a condenser as well and even though my coil is good for sure , I bought a new coil as well and put that on.

This car had been sitting in a huge garage / barn and was very dirty so between going over it mechanically and cosmetically it is coming along.
Its a real gas to drive !

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi gang , I have been very busy at work and at working on my 31 A when i have time .

After burning up a set of points it was time for a new set and a condenser as well and even though my coil is good for sure , I bought a new coil as well and put that on.

This car had been sitting in a huge garage / barn and was very dirty so between going over it mechanically and cosmetically it is coming along.

That's a great looking car.

fashion frank

One Too Many
That's a great looking car.

Hey thanks Big Man ,coming from you that means alot as I've seen pictures of your ride , dont you just love to drive these old cars they are way more fun than a modern car and untill recently I thought that people were getting mad at me because it will only do about 65 top speed and I cruise along at about 50 but then I realized as they would go by beeping and waving it was because of the car not the speed we were doing !

All the Best ,Fashion frank

31 Model A

A-List Customer

A two door sedan..................one of the two choices that I'm pondering. I was told the four door model made the doors rattle that most people wanted the door model.

fashion frank

One Too Many
A two door sedan..................one of the two choices that I'm pondering. I was told the four door model made the doors rattle that most people wanted the door model.

I would have liked to have gotten a four door model ,just because it's easier to get in and out of but your right about the doors alot of them dont line up right .

I bought mine in PA. from R.T. Street Rods Speed Shop ( he's on the internet ) and he has alot of other cars .

I would also suggest that you join or contact the model A club in your area because sometimes they sell cars but only to other members and then you know that your getting a good car, at the least they will help you find a good car instead of a lemon.

I joined a club in my area and they have been awesome in helping me and guiding me as to what parts vendors are good and which ones to stay away from .

All the Best , Fashion Frank

31 Model A

A-List Customer
I would have liked to have gotten a four door model ,just because it's easier to get in and out of but your right about the doors alot of them dont line up right .

I bought mine in PA. from R.T. Street Rods Speed Shop ( he's on the internet ) and he has alot of other cars .

All the Best , Fashion Frank

I visited their website, very reasonable compared to so many others. They have a new listing for a 2 door Coupe that I could afford now. They don't give very big descriptions and additional photos. Now really a green color person though.

Big Man

Hey thanks Big Man ,coming from you that means alot as I've seen pictures of your ride , dont you just love to drive these old cars they are way more fun than a modern car and untill recently I thought that people were getting mad at me because it will only do about 65 top speed and I cruise along at about 50 but then I realized as they would go by beeping and waving it was because of the car not the speed we were doing !

All the Best ,Fashion frank

I sure do enjoy driving an older model cat (most anything pre-1970) more than a "modern" car. I can fit in a '60s model way better than anything new. Right now my front line vehicle is my '65 Ford Custom 500. I drive it every day and just about anywhere I need to go. My wife had a 2012 GMC that I will drive on extended trips (like to the beach on vacation, etc.), just because there is something in the back of my mind that I don't like thinking about being 200 miles from home in a 50 year old car with almost 300,000 miles in it. Used to be you could pull into most any gas station anywhere and have a mechanic work on your car if something went wrong. Sadly today, that's just not the case. I guess if there is a drawback to an old car, that would be the one.

As to driving fast vs slow, I don't get in a rush regardless of what I'm driving. I've spent 35 years in emergency management and have gone to way too many car wrecks that were due to speed. I drive slow and enjoy the scenery. If other drivers don't like it, well that's just too bad. [huh]

Big Man

I would have liked to have gotten a four door model ,just because it's easier to get in and out of ...

I would love to one day have a Model A (really, my "dream car" would be a '27 Oldsmobile sedan), and I am sure it would have to be a four-door. Even with my big old '48 Plymouth, the distance from the steering wheel to the back of the seat is tight for me.

Big is always better. ;)

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
I would love to one day have a Model A (really, my "dream car" would be a '27 Oldsmobile sedan), and I am sure it would have to be a four-door. Even with my big old '48 Plymouth, the distance from the steering wheel to the back of the seat is tight for me.

Big is always better. ;)

Then I think that you'd find that a coupe was most comfortable. There is a greater distance between the seat back and the wheel in a standard coupe (not in an Opera Coupe) than in any other body style, and since coupes share their doors with the two-door sedan in most cases the door width is effectively more generous in a coupe than in a four-door sedan.

1930artdeco

Practically Family
31Model A, Speaking from experience about fordor Model A's...if the doors don' fit right there is something wrong with the body. They actually ride better than the other body styles because the fordors are made of wood. that is the BIG hang up for most people. Having ridden in a 30 tudor I felt they were a bit tinny sounding. If you don't want to deal with the wood look for a 31 Slant Window sedan. They will have their own parts issues just like every model of car from that time frame. The advice Frank gives is good..join a local club learn about the different bodies and figure out what you want from the car. I have a 1930Model A fordor Town Sedan and I am scared to deal with the wood that I know I will have to deal with some day.

Mike

31 Model A

A-List Customer
31Model A, Speaking from experience about fordor Model A's...if the doors don' fit right there is something wrong with the body. They actually ride better than the other body styles because the fordors are made of wood. that is the BIG hang up for most people. Having ridden in a 30 tudor I felt they were a bit tinny sounding. If you don't want to deal with the wood look for a 31 Slant Window sedan. They will have their own parts issues just like every model of car from that time frame. The advice Frank gives is good..join a local club learn about the different bodies and figure out what you want from the car. I have a 1930Model A fordor Town Sedan and I am scared to deal with the wood that I know I will have to deal with some day.

Mike

Thanks Mike....good info to know. A 31 Model A is what I plan to go after, the body style is the question.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up

Mike

The last car that I re-wooded was a '19 Ford Center Door Sedan, a Fisher body. All the I can say is "Never Again"!

Of course wood kits were not available for this car, unlike the A-Model Fordors, and the peculiar construction of the early Center Door bodies made for a rather tough job. The car was a High Plains derelict, with excellent sheet metal and virtually no wood that was useable even for patterns.

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab

Big is always better. ;)

You must be big! Chrysler built cars were the roomiest from the thirties through 1954. The president of the company, K. T. Keller, personally tested every new model and if he did not find them comfortable he had them move the steering wheel, seat, and controls around until he did.

Keller weighed 320 pounds.

So, I suggest you stick with the Chrysler products, I doubt you will find as much room in any other kind of car.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran