Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

Ain't it something how things work sometimes? It's funny to think that they only had an 8 from '55 up and Ford had one since '32, but it seems as though Chevy's V8 is the better known of the two. Flatheads are really somethin' though!

Well they got it right from the very start and that engine only took six months to design and produce. lol

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
It could have been worth something if they kept developing it. :p

Like the "Copper Cooled" four?

I think that the early Chevrolet "Eight" was deep-sixed when it was determined that each marque in the GM company needed to fill a market niche. the firm needed an entry level four so aht it could attempt to compete with Ford, or at least Dodge Brothers. here was really o competing with Ford in the low-priced market in 1917.

Whillikers but didn't those early Chevrolet mahines have grabby clutches!
What a combination, a grabby clutch and a weak rear end...

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
It could have been worth something if they kept developing it. :p

I think that the early Chevrolet "Eight" was deep-sixed when it was determined that each marque in the GM company needed to fill a market niche. The firm needed an entry level four so that it could attempt to compete with Ford, or at least Dodge Brothers. There was really no competing with Ford in the low-priced market in 1917.

Whillikers but didn't those early Chevrolet mahines have grabby clutches!
What a combination, a grabby clutch and a weak rear end...

I think that the early Chevrolet "Eight" was deep-sixed when it was determined that each marque in the GM company needed to fill a market niche. the firm needed an entry level four so aht it could attempt to compete with Ford, or at least Dodge Brothers. here was really o competing with Ford in the low-priced market in 1917.

More than likely that was the case. The Chevrolet 8s were expensive and wouldn't fit as a low cost leader that is for sure. Cadillac had the top end secure for itself in the long run.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
More than likely that was the case. The Chevrolet 8s were expensive and wouldn't fit as a low cost leader that is for sure. Cadillac had the top end secure for itself in the long run.

Certainly!

As a "runner" , though, the Buick four was definitely several steps aove the Chevrolet, and only marginally more expensive, though far, far more durable.

Actually, it was easier and cheaper to keep a Flivver on the road for the long haul than a Baby Grand or a 490. The Chevrolet machines were a bit flashier, heavier, and more luxurious, but until the stovebolt sixes came out they just didn't stand the gaff.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
4060779820_46ca97161d_o.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael