Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Never owned one, but they were a well made, reliable car. The first car with flexible engine mounts for smoothness, called Floating Power. A refinement other cars did not get for several years. It was also the first low priced car with hydraulic brakes and had full pressure lubrication to engine bearings.

You might get better answers on the AACA forums, there are some real experts there.

http://forums.aaca.org/

1928 was the first year for Plymouth and they were introduced late in the year. So a 28 model is rather rare.

They were based on well proven Chrysler and Maxwell models that had been made for years, so there were no teething troubles that often plague brand new cars.

A little Plymouth history

http://www.allpar.com/cars/plymouth/cars/plymouth-cars.html

Last edited:

ingineer

One Too Many
RE 28 Plymouth
Be very careful with wooden framed autos
Plus parts not readily available
Also not extremely desirable as are cars of the baby boomer generation.
Be prepared to spend 10 times or more for Restoration.
Is it a Roadster , that would make a big difference.
40 something HP
I'd never do it.
Consider carefully.
Richard

LizzieMaine

Bartender
RE 28 Plymouth
Be very careful with wooden framed autos
Plus parts not readily available
Also not extremely desirable as are cars of the baby boomer generation.
Be prepared to spend 10 times or more for Restoration.
Is it a Roadster , that would make a big difference.
40 something HP
I'd never do it.
Consider carefully.
Richard

Parts for most Mopar cars aren't all that hard to come by -- there's always Andy Bernbaum, and Vintage Mopar on Ebay has a lot of stuff. However, the earliest Plymouths had a four-cylinder engine which might be difficult to support.

You wouldn't want one for city driving, but I bet it'd be a lot of fun for back-road Sunday driving.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
... I bet it'd be a lot of fun for back-road Sunday driving.

My thoughts, exactly!

Like I said, I've only heard of this car second-hand. Supposedly, the guy who has it for sale drove it here (Marion, NC) from Lexington, NC. That's almost an hour's drive in a modern car, so right there says a lot for the old car he has for sale. I thought it was interesting it was a 1928 Plymouth. If I dig some more, I might find out it's a 1938 or a 1948 or a 1958 or a 1968. Sometimes that second hand information isn't all that reliable. But, if it is a '28 Plymouth, then it might be a good find. I was told the asking price was $5,500, which appears to be close in line with that kind of car (according to NADA). Whatever ti is, I think I'll check it out a little bit more - if for nothing more that curiosity.

Thanks for all the input on my question. This is really a good place to come for some friendly advice.

1930artdeco

Practically Family
For the early Plymoths, Dodges etc. consider looking into a local/national club for info. As was stated Ingineer, be very careful of the body. If it is a sedan and the wood is shot you WILL spend a bundle on replacing it. the wood kit my 30 Model A if $4k and that does not include the time to fit everything together and fine tune the joints. As far as the engine goes you will be able to find parts for it. The bearings will be a pain to get repoured, but I know a really good engine guy in the NC area if you want his name, just PM me. The rest will be relatively easy to fix, spensive, but is doable.

Mike

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Dodge was one of the first cars to have a steel framed body, in the early twenties. It is possible the Plymouth does not have a wooden body frame. But if it does, and if it has been allowed to leak and deteriorate, it could be a nightmare to repair.

Dodge was the first all steel car, at least their touring bodies were all steel from 1920 or so. Ford followed suit in the Model A days, GM still made wooden framed bodies in 1935, I believe Packard was the last to use this type of body, except for a few hand made custom bodied cars made as late as 1939 or 1940.

I'm sure if you asked on the AACA forum you could find out for sure. See link above.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
For the early Plymoths, Dodges etc. consider looking into a local/national club for info. As was stated Ingineer, be very careful of the body. If it is a sedan and the wood is shot you WILL spend a bundle on replacing it. the wood kit my 30 Model A if $4k and that does not include the time to fit everything together and fine tune the joints. As far as the engine goes you will be able to find parts for it. The bearings will be a pain to get repoured, but I know a really good engine guy in the NC area if you want his name, just PM me. The rest will be relatively easy to fix, spensive, but is doable.

Mike

As I recall the Plymouth Fours used the engine from the Chrysler 52, a very advanced unit for its day. Counterbalanced crank with five main bearings, no Babbitt, inserts throughout, 2 1/8" journals, full pressure oiling, Lockheed hydraulic brakes on all four wheels, Budd all-steel bodies on the open cars and , I think on the Coach. Much more of a car than the Fords and Chevrolets of the day.

ingineer

One Too Many
Do not have a lot experience with owning Pre WWII cars, just the 50's cars such as the Buick and my lost red and black 55 DeSoto Sports man sigh ( spun bearings on my trips between Orono/Bangor and NJ) and the early Crown Vic ,but have worked on a lot of them to make a couple of bucks . (Unless you count the anachronistic Morgan Plus 4 .or Austin Frog eye and such.)
The 1960 VW did a lot better to UMaine/ DOW. Even installed a gas bomb heater. Of course, I put a Porsche motor in it.

This thread started with some very sage advice from LizzieMaine
“*Only an idiot drives around without a fire extinguisher in the trunk. “
Let me add to that:
A wool blanket, just because you can drive forward does not mean that the thousands of cars ahead of you can, Plus it can get you out of the snow or muck. Also to smother engine fires
Flares or the reflective triangles
Kitty litter or sand
Gloves
Need I say duct tape?
Spare bulbs, the police love to pull you over for that.
A shovel.
Flashlight.
Booster cables or jump box ,unless you are 6V then I don't know but I used to keep a little tractor battery in my last 6V car as a spare. My father used to install a second battery with an isolator to prevent being stuck around Greenfield ME when you where far away from help.
I now have a 12v Shumacher boost box for the modern car, it has jumped a 440ci motor, and have used it to run a 12V TV during Sandy

Remember for motor diagnostics:
FAST Fuel Air Spark Timing , and sometimes compression.
Compression is the most important, if it is good the other factors are usually easily fixed.

Battery terminals, Keep them clean with Baking Soda, protect with Vaseline .
That is just as important with a modern vehicle as vintage.
I can't count the number of times that I helped someone start a car because of loose or corroded battery terminals.
Keep a 5/16 (older cars) or 10mm (foreign/modern) wrench in the car
Pepper trick really does work on minor radiator leaks, albeit temporary and only on old cars.

Spare hoses, fan belt, buy them when you buy the car, along with a shop manual, even if you don't understand car repair, don't assume the mechanic knows your car.
A pair of pantyhose can sometimes replace a fan belt for a few miles.

Automatic chokes fail all the time, usually at the most dismally cold weather. Take the filter off and look. A gloved hand can substitute, but it is dangerous, and you need two people.

Fuses , keep spares
Keep a spare key somewhere, Know the key number. Or keep a magnetic spare case. The magnet is very helpful when buying a old car to test for Bondo.

No it's not an electric car, but if you live in Maine it is essential ; block heater. I watched someone in Bangor light a fire under his 60's Impala to turn the oil back into something that would let the engine turn over.

Fog or snow so bad , and pull off the road then turn your lights off , or drivers will follow right into you.
If you are essential, buy chains before the blizzard other wise stay home.
The modern convenience of cell phones is great but nothing can take place of a 2 meter radio in a car for asking directions or local information in the boondocks. Go get a license, the Morse is no longer required, just a simple test.

For making windows crystal clear, use a wad of newsprint after the Windex. The abrasive in newsprint is just right.
For cleaning chrome that is slightly pitted , use a wad of aluminum foil and Coke-Cola.
Spray the front of the car with PAM to make the bugs come off easily.
Window screening to keep from clogging the radiator.
A piece of cardboard to help the coolant keep warm in the winter..
Older cars vapour lock in the summertime, pull the fuel line, or cool it down.

Richard

ingineer

One Too Many
Richard, is that a late 80's Mercury Topaz? Man, I haven't seen one of those in a coons age! :p
Bingo Harv;
Since replaced with a 93 Mercury Topaz. Inherited from my father.
Blue oval is the way to go, so much problems with every bow tie.
Smith had all built to a thin dime
Had two 67 Mustangs in my youth, just not great grocery getters.
Richard

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Looks like fairgrounds bodies on ATV chassis. I'm surprised someone hasn't splashed a mold off an old dodgem car and started making them in fibreglass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112