Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Car Thread - Discussion and Parts Requests

Studebaker Driver

One of the Regulars
Well, Bigman, I can't help you with "tube liners", but I can tell you about flaps and rim strips.

Little ones first, rim strips, which are relatively narrow bands of rubber that fit between the sidewalls of a tire on the rim. They have to be stretched on, like a rubber band. If you are running wire wheels, the spoke nipples (that little ferrule the spoke screws into) pass through holes in the rim. The nipples have a screw head on the inside (tube side) of the rim and it is by these screw heads that the ferrules are tightened or loosened to true and tune the wheel. If the inner tube were allowed to contact these screw heads and the car never moved, you might be OK. But wire wheels on a car that is driven flex and move. This tiny movement of the components of the wheel will ultimately chafe through the tube. To prevent this, the rim strip covers the spoke ferrules, offering a cushion of rubber for the tube to rest. The same result is often obtained these days with a lap or two od duct tape around the rim before the tire and tube are mounted.

Flaps are bigger in every way. They are wider because they don't simply cover the spoke ferrules like the rim strips, they go from the inside of the tire sidewall on one side and they span the gap between the tire beads, then extend under the opposite sidewall. Flaps are usually used with clincher tires or tires on split rims. Clincher tires have no wire in their beads to facilitate their being stretched onto the rims. Clinchers are not intended for drop center rims and without the annular groove in the rim (the "drop center") for the bead to enter to allow the opposite side to go over the edge of the rim. Clinchers have to be pried over the rolled bead of the rim and a corresponding bead on the tire sidewall engages with it, forming a lock to prevent the tire blowing off the rim. Clincher tire beads have a sort of built-in flap that that can cause trouble. The edges of these tire sidewall flaps can move as the tire sidewall flexes, causing chafing of the tube. A tube flap provides a thick rubber bed separating the tube from the tire and the rim itself.

The other need for flaps are for split rims. Split rims are never on wire wheels because by their design, split rims are collapsed and overlapped (impossible with wire wheels) to make them smaller then the inside diameter of the tire. Once inside the rims are spread back to their full diameter (usually with some sort of jacking tool). The joint at which the rim splits can also move and chafe an inner tube. Since the joint involves the entire width of the rim, a flap is the way to go. A rim strip could leave part of the joint exposed and chafe the tube at that spot.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, Bigman, I can't help you with "tube liners", but I can tell you about flaps and rim strips.

Little ones first, rim strips, which are relatively narrow bands of rubber that fit between the sidewalls of a tire on the rim. They have to be stretched on, like a rubber band. If you are running wire wheels, the spoke nipples (that little ferrule the spoke screws into) pass through holes in the rim. The nipples have a screw head on the inside (tube side) of the rim and it is by these screw heads that the ferrules are tightened or loosened to true and tune the wheel. If the inner tube were allowed to contact these screw heads and the car never moved, you might be OK. But wire wheels on a car that is driven flex and move. This tiny movement of the components of the wheel will ultimately chafe through the tube. To prevent this, the rim strip covers the spoke ferrules, offering a cushion of rubber for the tube to rest. The same result is often obtained these days with a lap or two od duct tape around the rim before the tire and tube are mounted.

Flaps are bigger in every way. They are wider because they don't simply cover the spoke ferrules like the rim strips, they go from the inside of the tire sidewall on one side and they span the gap between the tire beads, then extend under the opposite sidewall. Flaps are usually used with clincher tires or tires on split rims. Clincher tires have no wire in their beads to facilitate their being stretched onto the rims. Clinchers are not intended for drop center rims and without the annular groove in the rim (the "drop center") for the bead to enter to allow the opposite side to go over the edge of the rim. Clinchers have to be pried over the rolled bead of the rim and a corresponding bead on the tire sidewall engages with it, forming a lock to prevent the tire blowing off the rim. Clincher tire beads have a sort of built-in flap that that can cause trouble. The edges of these tire sidewall flaps can move as the tire sidewall flexes, causing chafing of the tube. A tube flap provides a thick rubber bed separating the tube from the tire and the rim itself.

The other need for flaps are for split rims. Split rims are never on wire wheels because by their design, split rims are collapsed and overlapped (impossible with wire wheels) to make them smaller then the inside diameter of the tire. Once inside the rims are spread back to their full diameter (usually with some sort of jacking tool). The joint at which the rim splits can also move and chafe an inner tube. Since the joint involves the entire width of the rim, a flap is the way to go. A rim strip could leave part of the joint exposed and chafe the tube at that spot.
Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like what I need will be strips.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The weather has changed, we had glorious spring sunshine, time to wake up Jessica, our MG.
What to wear though? One of Cheryl's bespoke fedora's, of course.
cw hats.jpg
Best put a tie on, after all, it is Sunday.
blazer3.jpg
That cabin you see behind me, that's Tina's workshop, it's where my trousers were made.
Poole Goes Vintage 02.jpg
A recycled photo of the MG. It was a lovely warm day but not warm enough to let it all hang out. Poor Jessica, how she gets photo-bombed!

1930artdeco

Practically Family
Well, got a new house for a new job and drove my Model A 1200 miles in 5 days with no major incidents. Had two minor issues which where fixed in about 30 minutes. Great drive, only had to deal with rain twice and rain X did it’s job brilliantly-well the vacuum wiper ‘worked’ as well-after i replaced the vacuum line.

Barb is now safely nestled in her new home along with her new daughter, a 57 country sedan. Sorry I have given up trying to add pictures, they seem to add which ever way the computers adds them.

Mike

Attachments

• 1DD6746E-CC7A-44A3-AD72-C089C8B55DA4.jpeg
    1DD6746E-CC7A-44A3-AD72-C089C8B55DA4.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 77
  • DEC00BEA-B17A-480D-A339-0B2FC9660AE9.jpeg
    DEC00BEA-B17A-480D-A339-0B2FC9660AE9.jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 77
  • E482FBBC-2F4D-461C-AF31-810F7F73FD23.jpeg
    E482FBBC-2F4D-461C-AF31-810F7F73FD23.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 73
  • F9579F35-3A60-4A96-A017-9AB582C01E89.jpeg
    F9579F35-3A60-4A96-A017-9AB582C01E89.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 27DEB207-ED33-4FF7-BF35-2E6AF6D6F92A.jpeg
    27DEB207-ED33-4FF7-BF35-2E6AF6D6F92A.jpeg
    132.4 KB · Views: 78

GHT

I'll Lock Up
A text came through this morning from a member of the MG car club. The photos show us at the New Forest run earlier in the year, with an invitation to join them on June 4th next year. The event has become quite a crowd puller.

In the first photo our car is on the left, you can just about make Tina out, she's in the yellow dress.
The second photo you might have seen previously. The quality is very poor, but the third photo shows us in period dress, something that the MG club seem to like.

Maria & NFR 2022 003.JPG

New Forest Run 003.JPG

Concorde Club 002.JPG

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I'm no butcher, but that's^ a bit more fat and gristle than I care for.
I have to agree with you. There are some who can bastardise a car way beyond both recognition and aesthetic. Your car is far more pleasing and a delight to admire.

The fairies came last night. Well not exactly, my Godson wouldn't like to be known as a fairy. Previously I had texted him the picture above with Tina & I, standing along side our car, with the caption: "Can you do anything to improve this?"

Taking my phone off charge just now, I see his response, timed at 01:50 I might add, what does he do for sleep? "No problem," he texts back. Oh wow, the fellow is so talented:

MG Day 2022.JPG

Studebaker Driver

One of the Regulars
Since the factory closed, getting new-made parts for Stanley cars has become sort of a waiting game. Guys who have the capacity to manufacture new parts are few and the line for their services can be long. Well! I'm happy I made it to the front of the line for a new burner for the Stanley sedan!

The old one was a remake, likely from the 1970s, that had been hastily and poorly made. I just can't wait for this great old beast to once again glide silently down the street!

Attachments

• 20220909_115546.jpg
    20220909_115546.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 46
  • 20220901_180049.jpg
    20220901_180049.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 47

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ