Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Christmas cards

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I'm continuing to dig through the latest box of old family stuff, and found a couple of neat Christmas cards.
The first is from my mom to her mom. Since my mom was born in 1920, and this looks very 13-ish, I'd guess it's from around 1933, maybe 34.
MAXmascardFrontreduced.jpg

MAXmascardinsidereduced.jpg

The next is from Christmas, 1948. My dad was a commercrial artist, back in the days when "Cut and Paste" required an Exacto knife and rubber cement. I suspect he put this together himself, and I wonder if the artwork on the front was by a colleague of his. The cute little whippersnapper in the photo is moi.
1948Xmascardfrontreduced.jpg

1948Xmascardinsidereduced.jpg

Finally, here are some stickers, which, judging by the images , must be from WW II. Not Christmas Seals, March of Dimes, or anything that I can tell. Just stickers, with old fashioned lick and stick mucilage on the back. For those of you who are too young to remember when you had to lick stamps, you're not missing anything.
XmasWWIIstickersreduced.jpg

I think there are few more in there.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
More cards

Here's another sweet little Norcross card, probably late 40's, early 50's:

ComeandWorshipfrontreduced.jpg

ComeandWorshipinsidereduced.jpg

This is a cute one, probably from the mid 30's, from my granddad (the guy in my avatar) to my mom. Note, he's added the little kitty to the front.

Dadandfireplacefrontreduced.jpg

Dadandfireplaceinsidereduced.jpg

This one is really unusual. One of my great aunts spent something like 60 years in Japan as a Pentecostal missionary. You may remember the "I am interned" letter she sent in 1943, posted in the WW II forum. I can only wonder if this is somehow related, or if one of the other great aunts, or my grandmother had donated to this charity. Anyhow, this card contains poems about Christmas written by Japanese lepers, in a leper colony supported by some American church group. The back says "Published for the benefit of the American Mission to Lepers, 156 Fifth Avenue, New York, in the interests of the hospitals aided by it throughout the world."
It must be pre war, because I think printing techniques were different after the war, and it certainly would not have been printed during the war. Although the line "Not the red sun" seems like it could never have been made before the end of the war. Whatever.

Japaneselepersfrontreduced.jpg

I've left the inside fairly large so you can read the text.
Japaneselepersinsidereduced.jpg

More to come.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My grandmother spent the summers of 1915 and 1917 teaching at the Grenfell Mission in Labrador (Google it). This card must be from the 40's, I'd guess.

Grenfellfrontreduced.jpg

Grenfellinsidereduced.jpg

Just a simple one page card, maybe 4 inches wide. I suppose also 40's.
BrightandHappyreduced.jpg

A couple of gift tags from the 40's or early 50's.

Babytagfrontreduced.jpg

Babytaginsidereduced.jpg

Poinsettiatag.jpg

The Washington National Cathedral, obviously from WW II.

NationalCathedralfront.jpg

NationalCathedralinside.jpg

This is just construction paper with a simple linoleum block print, from my grandmother, from the 50's.

Ethelwynlinoleumfrontreduced.jpg

Ethelwynlinoleuminsidereduced.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
This was printed by a company called Crestwick, 40's or early 50's.
Mallardfront.jpg

Mallardinside.jpg

This is just a piece of plain stationery, folded over, with the poem printed at the bottom. It's by my great aunt Rachel (who wrote the little poem "Not One Too Many", that I posted elsewhere.)

HowdoesChristmascomereduced.jpg

Finally, a really elegant one. It's called Madonna of the Olives, and the back says American Artist Group, NY 1936.
MadonnaoftheOlivesfrontreduced.jpg

MadonnaoftheOlivesinsidereduced.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I found one more

Almost forgot this sweet little one. It's another linoleum block, by "Toni". (No idea.)
This is how it looks completely unfolded.
Noelopenedcompletely.jpg

Then all folded up.
Noelfoldedup.jpg

Then you open it, and this is what you get.
Noelopened.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff