Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Christmas?

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Final Touches

psgxmaspw3.jpg

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
We're going to the Glenn Miller memorial Ball here in the UK, it takes place at the airfield where he flew from. That's on Saturday and then my tree will go up later this week. All vintage baubles (apart from the ones my son made or that have some sappy sentiment attached..:)

I love getting the old Christmas stuff out and we even have paper chains!

Merry Christmas all!

K
x

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
My office staff suggested that we skip the gift exchange this year, and everyone was SO relieved.
A much smaller Christmas this year all 'round.

Mr. K.L.Bowers

One of the Regulars
dhermann1 said:
About 4 years ago I saw a string of Bubble Lights at Macy's and grabbed them. They were modern repros of the original. The way they work is, of course, the heat from the bulb underneath makes the contained fluid boil, which makes the bubble. The fluid is able to shed just enough heat so that it continues to boil and bubble without blowing up. Unfortunately, about 4 of the 7 bulbs didn't work, they just sat there. Very disappointing. But by the same token, I'm not so sure I'd trust a vintage set of lights, either.
Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I still have my family's set from the 50's of original GE bulbs, still in its box with a big bright full color Santa face on it. IF I find it, I'll post pics.

I know this may sound difficult, but if you shake the non-working bulbs a little (without upsetting the tree), they should start to bubble. We discovered this after returning several sets for the same reason.

Apple Annie

New in Town
scotrace said:
My office staff suggested that we skip the gift exchange this year, and everyone was SO relieved.

We're doing Secret Santa - it means everyone still gets a present so it still feels christmassy, but it drastically reduces the cost.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:

My office is getting home made baked goods....

My family is getting vintage handkerchiefs....ie a -token- of affection, not a -present-

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Apple Annie said:
We're doing Secret Santa - it means everyone still gets a present so it still feels christmassy, but it drastically reduces the cost.

If people are doing Christmas secret pals like they do at my Mom's office, remember that little tokens can go a long way to brighten someone's day.

Here are some cheap ideas:
  • Cut out a funny comic from the paper for your SP.
  • A packet of cocoa and a candy cane.
  • A few tea bags in a 99 cent mug.
  • A Hershey's bar or a few Hershey's kisses.
  • A little bag of mulling spices and a recipe for mulled cider or wine.
  • A small plate of cookies (home-baked or otherwise).
  • A $2 santa hat
  • Holiday pens or pencils.

Happy Holidays!

Cricket

Practically Family
My husband and I go nuts over the bubble lights. We try to buy packs whenever we can find them.

I am looking forward to going to our candle-light service at church on Christmas Eve. It is a real feeling of community there.

I am still addicted to sending Christmas cards. I try to find some with vintage patterns. There is something special about opening your mailbox and finding a card with a sweet, friendly message. And of course, we line them up on the mantle next to our stockings.

I love pulling out the old family recipes for red velvet cake, pecan pie, the whole nine yards.

Cricket

Practically Family
Oh, and I almost forgot:

I love making fruit baskets and giving them to neighbors and friends. I enjoy putting them together with fresh oranges, apples, assorted nuts and other extras like hints of mint and other seasonal favorites

Foofoogal

Banned
I am still addicted to sending Christmas cards.

Honest. I have every single Christmas card I have ever received. I keep them in a Santa bag. When I get new ones each year I hang them on like a special clothesline I have for Christmas. Getting harder to do though as it seems noone sends them much anymore. Cost of a stamp I guess.
I am doing mine today and hopefully will send out tomorrow. :)

PrettySquareGal: You better watch that Santa. I am sure I am not the only one coveting it.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Foofoogal said:
Honest. I have every single Christmas card I have ever received. I keep them in a Santa bag. When I get new ones each year I hang them on like a special clothesline I have for Christmas. Getting harder to do though as it seems noone sends them much anymore. Cost of a stamp I guess.
I am doing mine today and hopefully will send out tomorrow. :)

I just bought some stamps for my Christmas cards. I send them every year, even though I keep getting less and less. But that's ok - I'm determined to keep this tradition alive, for me at least!

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Call Me Greedy

Because I live in Australia and Christmas is in Summer, i actualy also have a second "Christmas, in July" which is the Australian Winter, so i do the whole thing twice a year!!!!! Its quite a popular event, lots of the big hotels hold "Chistmas in july" though they dont go to the trouble i do, i save a pudding in the freezer and keep my old Chrismas cards to put around the house.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Bubble lights

I just discovered this. It's everything you ever wanted to know about bubble lights but were afraid to ask. We're talking EVERYTHING about bubble lights.
http://www.oldchristmaslights.com/bubble_lights1.htm
Binkie Beaumont: it's nice to know that some of you antipodeans celebrate Chrisrtmas in July. The holiday is really about the winter solstice, and there SHOULD be a celebration. You should really have it on June 21st, and you should build bonfires on the hill tops to bring the sun back to life, just as our pagan ancestors did 10,000 years ago.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
I am making all my present, I was 2 classes shy of a art major in college so that is easy for me. I will paint and draw things. And I am dressing vintage. I however don't decorate my apartment. I did do my parents tree and it looks like a wonderful vintage tinsel tree. I love it

Imahomer

Practically Family
I miss the tinsel on the tree. We always had it when I was a kid, but now the trash company won't take the tree if it has tinsel on it. I tried picking it off the tree after Christmas once, but that was a nightmare. Now I just don't use it, but I think about it everytime I see my tree.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
I just discovered this. It's everything you ever wanted to know about bubble lights but were afraid to ask. We're talking EVERYTHING about bubble lights.
http://www.oldchristmaslights.com/bubble_lights1.htm

I have a set of vintage bubble light hurricane lamps and I've never seen another set like them. I've been trying to find out more info about them, but couldn't find anything on the site you posted. Darn! Does anyone know of any other bubble light resources?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran