Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Christmas?

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Imahomer said:
Are you talking about the lights that go on the tree and start to bubble as they warm up?

Are you referring to my post or another?

If so, what I described are bubble lights, but they do not hang on a tree. They are bubble lights that screw into a hurricane lamp base and stand on their own.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
After some searching, I found an online picture of the bubble lamps. I have a matching set of these, but the cat broke one of the glass shades last year. :mad:

bubblelamp01.jpg

And yes - they're just as tacky in person.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Tacky

That's what we love about them! Never seen that kerosene lamp thingy. I guess if you have any socket with the small screw in thingy (they call then chandelier base, aka night light bulbs) you can screw a bubble bulb in.
When I was a kid I was hypnotized by them.

Inky

One Too Many
BeBopBaby said:
After some searching, I found an online picture of the bubble lamps. I have a matching set of these, but the cat broke one of the glass shades last year. :mad:

bubblelamp01.jpg

And yes - they're just as tacky in person.

Oh. My. Gosh. I must have one of those!! Thanks for the picture, BeBopBaby, I have never seen anything like that before, only the bubble lamps for trees.

off a-searching I go!! It's almost as good as a Leg Lamp!

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
That's what we love about them! Never seen that kerosene lamp thingy. I guess if you have any socket with the small screw in thingy (they call then chandelier base, aka night light bulbs) you can screw a bubble bulb in.
When I was a kid I was hypnotized by them.

The set of bubble lamps that I have belonged to my parents. Every year we put the lamps out when I was a child. I loved them when I was a kid. I was so happy when I found them stashed in my parents basement around 10 years ago. My hubby and I put them out every year with our other vintage kitschmas decorations.

Powerhouse

One of the Regulars
BERLERS!

I love those berlers(what my grandma calls them...Brooklyn speak)...I love seeing them on my grandma's tree every year. They've been around for quite some time. I wish I could see them again this year.

I bought 2 sets of vintage lights in the original boxes over the summer. They are really neat...cloth covered wire with bakelite plugs and all! I'll probably be picking up a real tree this year...since my dad has the tree we used to use when we were in NY. We used to put up the old 50's one he had since he was a kid...and 2 different feather tree from my grandmas single days back in the late 30's. I'm planning on getting a tree this weekend somewhere around here in sunny Southern California....I hear that several State Parks will sell you a tree but you have to cut it down yourself....kinda neat! I did that a couple of times with my brother when we were young...the backyard was on the border of some unused land with plenty of free trees! Now it's all getting destroyed by atv trails...ANYWAY. I'm gonna be a bit crazier than usual and dress in my heaviest of winter gear, maybe the wife will do the same, and go get a tree...tie it to the top of my '39 with some natural rope and drive it home....maybe we'll spray some fake snow on the car as well... lol

Imahomer

Practically Family
The bubble lights (the ones that go on trees) can be bought at just about any Christmas supply store. Then you can do what you want with the bulbs. I was at a friends house and they had a night light with the original light bulb taken out and a bubble light screwed in its place. It looked pretty cool too.:eusa_clap

Story

I'll Lock Up
A Holiday Tale : The Perpetual Fruitcake

MINNEAPOLIS -- It's hard as a rock, has a slight scent of spice and looks like Frankenstein, with knob-like mints protruding from its sides. But, hey, will any of us look any better than Pierre Girard's fruitcake when we're 97 years old?

The cake's history, aside from its being baked a few months before the Titanic sank, is shrouded in mystery. Two of Girard's friends, Audrey Staber and Dick Scheimo, found it on a St. Louis Park, Minn., closet shelf while doing an estate-sale assessment in 1992. The elderly resident had died with no heirs, and Girard never learned her name before Staber and Scheimo subsequently passed away.

But the cake came in a box with cryptic inscriptions: "Xmas cake Baked in dec. 1911" on top, "Xmas Cake baked by my mother's brother Alex died Dec. 27. Was operated on Xmas day" on the bottom.

http://www.bnd.com/living/story/573375.html

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A vintage and lonesome Xmas...

Hubby leaves for China on Sunday and doesn't come home until January 6.:(

So I plan to use my time wisely...possibly painting the kitchen... and...

Seeing friends at the annual bash at Theresa LaQuey's (what to wear!)
Making little gifts for people (too poor to buy stuff, so why not!)
Making Christmas cookies, ruggalah, etc.
Having friends over for Hannukah (I do both holidays)
Going to Mom and Dad's for the actual Christmas eve and day
Maybe going to the Oakland Paramount on the 26th to see Mary Poppins!

I already decorated, I have a tiny but living tree to plant in the backyard after the holidays. Lots of my ornaments are vintage. I also decorated the dining room for Hanukkah. Pictures to come.

SuperKawaiiMama

One of the Regulars
My "vintage" Christmas consists of following and creating traditions of the family. A pre Christmas week at the seaside (which begins today and it is bucketing with rain). Fossicking in markets and antique stalls for one off gifts. Listening to retro Christmas tunes ad nauseum from December 1st. Making festive Hostess aprons for Christmas day. Making little gingerbread houses for all the family.

This year I have a little bit more retro to add to my Christmas, as my gift to the family (okay to myself), I am redecorating my kitchen and family room in and mix of 40's and 50's decor. It is out with the new and in with the old at my place. Egg nog will be mixed at the new / old bar, and served to all appropriately attired guests.:)

Brinybay

Practically Family
The only thing I do "vintage" is listen to great music, of which most classic Christmas carols are, especially when sung by the masters. One that I just added to my collection is one of the best renditions of one of my favorite Christmas carols, Silent Night by the Hayden Quartet, recorded over 100 years ago in 1905.

GreyAndWhiteCat

Familiar Face
that wild Swedish concoction Glog

I must protest dhermann1, at least say Scandinavian about the Gløgg. :)

The smell of it is very, very much a part of my Christmas memorys from childhood. It has been used in both Norway and Sweden since the medival times. Its a important part of Christmas in both countrys :)

Emer

One of the Regulars
Movies!

Movies are the one truly vintage aspect of our holidays. I've purchased just about all my childhood Christmas movies ("A Charlie Brown Christmas," the cartoon version of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas"), with the exception of the clay-mation Rudolph series (they just came out this year!) My most favorite though is "A Christmas Story!" Especially since they start running in on Christmas Eve and it runs the full 24-hours until Chirstmas night. My husband hates this movie so much, but I've watched it every year since I can remember.

We wanted to make gifts this year, but it didn't pan out. Next year I may start early so I'm not scrambling for ideas. I think we're also going to go back to the more traditional decorations (glass ball ornaments), and such next year.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Like cooking old recipes, decorating the house, watching all your favorite classic holiday movies, and listening to all your favorite holiday songs (and singing them in the car)? Well okay...
This will be the first year I attempt to do all the above.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
This year I compromised. I'm just too busy to deal with a real tree, so I did the unthinkable, I got an artificial. Very cheap, only $20 for a nice 6 footer. I thank the poor hard working Chinese person who put this thing together who probably earned about 20 cents an hour doing it.
On the other hand, I always have many nice vintage ornaments, including 7 Czech ornaments that my dad bought in 1947 that are exquisite. And the piece de resistance are the BUBBLE LIGHTS! Not vintage, tho I want to find a few sets of them some day (available on Ebay). But I have 14 nicely functioning bubble lights on my tree, and I've been sitting here all evening, in semi ecstasy, gazing at them bubbling away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran