Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Clothes, Modern Jobs?

timorous me

Familiar Face
I was wondering what everyone here does for a living... Do you have a job that seems like a natural extension of your vintage lifestyle? Or do you make a buck doing something that didn't even exist when your outfit was made?

I, for one, definitely fall into the latter group. I work for the second-largest cable provider in the country, providing customer service and technical support for cable television, broadband internet, and voice over IP telephone service. I deal with extremely complex computer systems, I can control people's equipment remotely, and I can describe the symptoms of a reverse signal issue until I'm blue in the face. This is my day-in-day-out.

I've never realized what an odd contrast this is until today, sitting at my desk in my vintage dress, explaining the differences between HDMI and component cables to an elderly gentleman while assisting him with his high definition box setup when he said, "Wow. You know sweetheart, nobody would've even dreamt of this when I was your age."

I just found it very striking.

But enough about me. What are your thoughts? Any striking differences between your "vintage" lifestyle and your modern job?

Rooster

Practically Family
I build 18th century flintlock guns all day. But then again I don't dress vintage while doing it, it can be a dirty job at times...

Josephine

One Too Many
I am, by schooling, a Horticulturist and Landscape Designer. I suppose I could have worn vintage "mucking about" clothes when I still worked in that field. Now I work in a cafe, but I don't think the owners would appreciate me dressing vintage as that isn't the look they are going for. :/

SpitfireXIV

One of the Regulars
i work with party planners and caterers all day, so dressing in vintage would not be anything more than a "day at the office" where i am at.

i don't do it often though; i'm usually running around so the last thing i want to do is break a heel or put undue stress on a vintage piece of clothing!

fernande

Vendor
timorous me said:
I was wondering what everyone here does for a living... Do you have a job that seems like a natural extension of your vintage lifestyle? Or do you make a buck doing something that didn't even exist when your outfit was made?

I, for one, definitely fall into the latter group. I work for the second-largest cable provider in the country, providing customer service and technical support for cable television, broadband internet, and voice over IP telephone service. I deal with extremely complex computer systems, I can control people's equipment remotely, and I can describe the symptoms of a reverse signal issue until I'm blue in the face. This is my day-in-day-out.

I've never realized what an odd contrast this is until today, sitting at my desk in my vintage dress, explaining the differences between HDMI and component cables to an elderly gentleman while assisting him with his high definition box setup when he said, "Wow. You know sweetheart, nobody would've even dreamt of this when I was your age."

I just found it very striking.

But enough about me. What are your thoughts? Any striking differences between your "vintage" lifestyle and your modern job?

I was just talking about this with a friend. how my inability to wear my fabulous vintage gear drives me mad- I work in the fashion industry and I can pretty much wear what I want- but still- there are times, where I can't wear head to toe vintage (I want to, as wearing vintage really is a lifestyle thing for me)
But I just can't- - usually its because I can't move! If I'm on a film set, and I'm a 1940's rayon crepe dress, and I move too fast or have to carry something heavy- I find I rip the garments left and right. And it doesn't look very polished or professional when the vintage garment discintigrates on your body- (well at least to women, some guys I'm sure think its GREAT! ha)

Its really become such a problem for me, that I find I have two or three changes of clothes a day. New Yorkers tend to be packrats, and most of us carry huge bags- that for other people in different areas of the country- would be "weekender" bags- But when you don't have a car, and you are running around- you have to be prepared-
So on a daily basis I have- jeans and tshirts for loading stuff, maybe a blouse and slacks for set work, and then a cocktail dress for after work-- I fantasize about the day where I can just sit at my desk in all of my gorgeous frocks- but almost everyday- I'm mucking about- in some antique mall filled with dust- doing someone's makeup with powder, lipstick and creams everywhere- or carrying heavy boxes of clothing into a photoshoot. Its a drag!! I want to be fab all the time! (and fab to me is wearing a silk satin 30's harlow dress)
The result of all of this unfun worktime dressing is that I completely over do it at any opportunity to do so. (I'll go to a rock concert in a tulle 50's prom dress) But I guess, its just like many of the loungers who have jobs where they wear a uniform- or vintage doesn't suit the image of the company, ect.
I just think its really ironic, since fashion and style is my job and yet, I still am limited due to the demands of my work.

My newest goal is to make myself some very comfortable shirtwaist dresses out of cotton- that I won't be afraid to get dirty. My 30s and 40s stuff is just too precious to me to get destroyed by "modern life". I also almost seriously injured myself last spring, when an old 1940's platform shoe decided to break in half, while I was rushing down a set of stairs in the subway trying to catch an F train-
thankfully, that day-I was ever the "vintage lady" and was wearing elbow length leather gloves- they saved my hands from being torn to shreds by the fall.- the leather was still torn, but my hands only slightly cut-
After that- I don't wear vintage footwear, when I'm really pounding the pavement.

fernande said:
And it doesn't look very polished or professional when the vintage garment discintigrates on your body- (well at least to women, some guys I'm sure think its GREAT! ha)
:( Ms. Fernande, between the view of a historian and an appreciator of feminine beauty, I for one would rather it be a modern garment disintegrating, to me any nonliving object over 50 years is a "historic artifact".lol

As for me, I couldn't wear vintage khakis even if they were immaculately preserved--I am murder on clothing--but with my field in historical research, particularly WWII, styling my wardrobe after WWII khakis seems to be a natural fit...

dostacos

Practically Family
well for the last 35 years or so I have been a Certified Prosthetist/Orthotist [artificial legs/arms and external bracing of body parts.] and I am seriously thinking of calling it a career and doing something else for the next few years

Dan [this is how I can claim to be a PROFESSIONAL leg man:rolleyes: ]

zaika

One Too Many
Our office is pretty lax so one could wear pretty much anything as long as they didn't look slovenly. One of my friends is a snazzy dresser and frequently changes her hair color...pink...blue...orange...natural. hehe. Another woman is a fanatic gymrat, so she always wears clothes that look alright in public but can be worked out in. Most are either in jeans or khakis. If I had enough vintage clothing already to wear everyday, I really would wear them 'cause all I do for my job is sit. (I need a new job!!!!)

Plus, I think that a job in taxes could be considered 'vintage.' They've been around since God was a boy. lol

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Some cool jobs in this thread.

When I work at the circulation desk of the branch public library, I have to rush around a whole lot and don't seem to work nearly as hard when I am nicely dressed, so I wear blue jeans, Hawaiian shirt and sneakers. If I am processing books in the back room I wear retro. When I am working at my own 3 businesses, two doing home-parties and one tailoring, I wear vintage or retro.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
While my job is not as cool as some of the above mentioned, I DO get to wear my actual (vintage) clothes every day. I'm an executive in a department store and I oversee the women's ready to wear areas.
Since I work in a "fashion" field (it's usually not at all glamourous), I feel that my style has helped me get to where I am.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
I wear reproduction...

...but in a classic style. Most of the people where I work wear either flight suits or BDUs (military) or khakis/polos (civilian). I am in coat and tie every day and always wear a fedora. I often sport a silk pocket square.

It's easier to dress classically as a man. The styles have changed far less. You are notable, but not odd in the office. I don't wear a classic 30s suit and spectators -- that would be a bit much for my job.

Ecuador Jim

A-List Customer
I'm a project manager, mostly a consultant for other companies. I have the option to dress how I wish, but I tend to dress for my audience. Credibility is important, so first impressions are important. After that, I'm not sure anyone would notice. The hat is generally the focal point, but since that's removed when I'm indoors, it has less impact.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My vintage dressing was actually a factor in my getting my current job as house manager of a restored downtown movie theatre -- they had noticed me as a regular customer well before I actually applied for work. And it works to their advantage, too -- I'm basically a walking ad for the theatre all over town, and when people see me they always ask what's playing, so I'm able to do a lot of promotional work just by doing my errands around town.

Now if I could figure out how to deduct shoes as a business expense, I'd be all set.

SpitfireXIV

One of the Regulars
Mid-fogey said:
It's easier to dress classically as a man. The styles have changed far less.
that's probably because the fashion industry knows that men won'r flock to the nearest store every season for the latest trends in clothing

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
(My first post!)

I work in a Bank as a Project Manager. I guess my job would have been about but not with the level of computerisation. I generally have my suits tailor made and tend to have a vintage feel that isn't noticed in the workplace.

Interestingly my Great Grandfather worked as a General Manager in a local Bank. When I got my current job my grandfather bought me a Failsworth Bowler/Derby hat (the same brand as my Great Grandfather wore). I've worn it in a few times just for the fun of it - I'm generally more comfortable in my Fedora or Hills Cap.

moustache

Practically Family
I work in a building materials yard selling lumber/house packages to contractors.Needless to say,I'm the only one dressing nice at all.Most,in fact all,dress in jeans,t-shirts and sneakers or logging style boots.
But since i don't really get dirty per se,i can dress how i like.
This is how i dressed Friday(minus the Borsalino)

21.jpg

I always get either a snicker or a compliment.The former by framers and roofers,etc whom come in dirty.The latter from people that appreciate a person that still looks after his/her clothes.

JD

Brooksie

One Too Many
I wear my vintage clothes or repros to work every day *YAY* after working at a job at a restarant (for a year and a half) where I had a dress code of jeans and a pub T-shirt, I can now finally express myself how I want - we have a few rules at where I work..no jeans and no sloppy clothes.

I work in a office for a (very green company) vegan and organic, skin and body care company and we also have a line of mineral cosmetics (which is cool because I am a make-up artist too!). My job is to do sales - not outside sales like I have done in the past for beauty companys. I have an office and a lot of exisisting accounts plus I make cold calls which is not to bad because our products are pretty unique - they are all made downstair, the offices are upstairs and the manufacturing is downstairs (with the product line being green and natural and all makes it very unique). My customers are spa and salon owners and some high end boutiqes. My territory is the whole united state (except for Oregon and Washington) and the rest of the world. Oregon and Washington is not a part of my territory because we have outside reps that have those states.

I feel like my vintage clothes and lifestyle fit into a "green" type of company because I am wearing clothes that have been recycled - even my repros I buy second hand.

LB

VictorAtomic

Familiar Face
I work for a Web Hosting co. swing shift so im sitting down allll day and messing with servers in our cage. Gets a little dirty and alot of bending and reaching. I tend to wear well fitted blue jeans, fitted short sleeved collared button up top tucked in and my loafers. Pretty casual im my opinion but still "dressed up" from normal people standards (I hate flip flops and sweat suits).

But daily I try to keep the look up and not look like a typical LA slob (ughh). As in vintage vs vintage looking .. I tend to go for vintage looking which can be hard for a guy since the variety of what actually looks nice is hard to find but I manage to find a few pieces.

But I think look is also the way you carry yourself, you can eathier wear it or it wear you.

-V ...that was my 411 for the day. :)

Kishtu

Practically Family
I'm a senior director's PA so in fact pretty swing dresses, a nice hairstyle and the classic red lipstick work really well here.

And given that before we moved to this office when I used to walk to work I used to wear combat trousers and trainers, or a constant succession of disintegrating pullovers, I guess he thinks it's a nice change!

Not sure what he's going to say to the repro 5 inch wedge heels today though ;-)

wedding belle

Familiar Face
Ah Yes

Ecuador Jim said:
I'm a project manager, mostly a consultant for other companies. I have the option to dress how I wish, but I tend to dress for my audience. Credibility is important, so first impressions are important. After that, I'm not sure anyone would notice. The hat is generally the focal point, but since that's removed when I'm indoors, it has less impact.

Me too, I'm a trainer and consultant so tend to wear reasonably interesting cuts. The other problem I have is an inability to keep flip chart pen off otf me so on training days I tend to go for dark colours. Comments regaarding wear and tear ring true also - when setting up equptment, climbing to open windows and throwing tables around a room I tend to wear stuff that is replacable!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran