Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kalikiano Kalei

New in Town
G'day all. Although I have stumbled across the Fedora Lounge off and on for years, I've never quite 'joined up' until just now. However, I'm in the midst of doing some background research on the distinctive vintage Germanic visored field cap with folded-up earflaps (think M43 style) that has been adopted by a number of European countries in various pertmutations, since the late 1800s. While I am sure the definitive German Army's M43 type cap has been discussed many times at this venue, I am interested in tapping into some sources that trace the history & origins of this cap, which if I am not mistaken originated as a uniquely German ski-mountaineering cap, many, many decades ago.

Since 1900 or so the same basic style has been adopted by various European nations, a few of them being Germany, Austria, Finland, Switzerland, etc. The basic design of the cap is extremely logical and functionally configured to provide protection against cold, most being made of warm wool material, many lined with another inner layer or some form of insulation,all with a bill or visor, and equipped with earflaps that may be folded down to provide warmth (or worn folded up).

I am aware of the type worn by the Austro-Hungarian soldiers of the erstwhile 'Great War', as I am equally aware of the Finnish variant (Finnish M35, etc.), the Swiss Army version, and certainly the various and numerous German military variants of the Second World War. (including those provided to the Chinese Nationalists by Germany, back in the 30s).

Several things I'd like to know are the evolutionary 'tree' (if you will) of this basic 'Germanic' 'Bergmutze' type cap, what its original sources were (if any), and how it came to proliferate and be adopted by so many various national armed forces over the past 120 years.

Of equal interest is the similarity the type bears to non-Germanic caps, such as the CCC work-cap of the 30s, the US 10th Mountain Division's version, and the various civilian winter caps of roughly similar design (such as the 'Stormy Kromer' cap and woodsmen/hunter winter caps of this general style). If a history has been compiled of the cross-over relationships these caps all seem to share, I'd love to be directed to it, of course and any and all commentary on this subject would be most welcome indeed. Many thanks in advance.
Gebergs_Skijaeger.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21