Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage eyebrow shapes

SarahLouise

Practically Family
Johanna said:
I love doing different eyebrow shapes! My real eyebrows are really blonde and you pretty much can't see them unless I draw them in, so I can do any shape or colour I want. I've never plucked them or anything either since their not visible anyway.

I usually do my eyebrows in that angular 50s way, like this:
1413504776_bbc1594648_o.jpg

But I do tons of other shapes and colours as well. Not all of these are specific vintage shapes but I thought they might be fun to see anyway.

Long and sloping for a 20s like makeup.
240692529_68267f7c87_o.jpg

I don't know if these are vintage or anything but I like them.
293343731_7f156867e0_o.jpg

Big goth eyebrows.
293671061_023cb43960_o.jpg

Very thin.
293650896_6f11738944_o.jpg

I love this shape and it's probably my second most used one.
661900452_7fd187cccb_o.jpg

Colourful.
103831388_62a9a61827_o.jpg

145644386_1063f1b073_o.jpg

And this photo is really bad and approximately a hundred years old, but I had really great makeup on that was copied from Lota in Island of Lost Souls. I thought she was just the most beautiful thing, and her eyebrows were amazing. It didn't make me look anything like her but I loved it anyway.
293674640_91121017e2_o.jpg

Johanna, you look completely different in every single photo! You have such a pretty and versatile face. I know this thread is about eyebrows but I just wondered if your lips are that shape naturally (as in the top picture) or do you overdraw them slightly?

pamina

Familiar Face
Johanna said:
I love doing different eyebrow shapes! My real eyebrows are really blonde and you pretty much can't see them unless I draw them in, so I can do any shape or colour I want. I've never plucked them or anything either since their not visible anyway.

I usually do my eyebrows in that angular 50s way, like this:
1413504776_bbc1594648_o.jpg

But I do tons of other shapes and colours as well. Not all of these are specific vintage shapes but I thought they might be fun to see anyway.

Long and sloping for a 20s like makeup.
240692529_68267f7c87_o.jpg

I don't know if these are vintage or anything but I like them.
293343731_7f156867e0_o.jpg

Big goth eyebrows.
293671061_023cb43960_o.jpg

Very thin.
293650896_6f11738944_o.jpg

I love this shape and it's probably my second most used one.
661900452_7fd187cccb_o.jpg

Colourful.
103831388_62a9a61827_o.jpg

145644386_1063f1b073_o.jpg

And this photo is really bad and approximately a hundred years old, but I had really great makeup on that was copied from Lota in Island of Lost Souls. I thought she was just the most beautiful thing, and her eyebrows were amazing. It didn't make me look anything like her but I loved it anyway.
293674640_91121017e2_o.jpg

:eek:fftopic: OH MY GOD, YOU'VE GOT A MARIE ANTOINETTE FILM POSTER !!!! I WANT ONE TOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!! =)

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
An interesting note!

I just read in a 1939 beauty book, that the ideal was to have the arch of your brow the same shape as the arches in your widows peak (if you have one), so the arches won't fight. In looking at myself, nature seems to have thought of that, I wonder what you all think of yours?

MarieAnne

Practically Family
I would like more angluar brows but that would require a bit of colouring in. What's the best most natural looking way to pencil in a brow?

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
MarieAnne,

The way I have found to work best is a powder-based brow pencil instead of a wax-based one or a brow powder. I have used a lot of products since I'm a blonde who went a deep chestnutty auburn.

The Maybelline pencils aren't bad but the can look a bit heavy-handed. If the brows look too heavy, I suggest a light dusting of translucent powder on top to set it and also to soften it.

I really liked the consistency of the Chanel brow pencils, but they are pricey and only come in a few colors. They have a neat brow kit coming out in summer, but I haven't tried it (obviously).

When I use a pencil, I use short strokes to fill in my brow because it doesn't look drawn on and more natural like hairs. I also read that the brow should be built up from underneath. I think this keeps it defined and clean looking without the tendency to get too thick. If I need to, I use a q tip dampened in makeup remover or water to clean up the outlines of my brows.

Now, however, I am using a really old brow powder from Clinique with MAC's wonderful brush # 233. This is absolutely the best brow brush. It's a very thin compact angled brush.

Smuterella

One Too Many
I am having eyebrow problems, I just can't seem to get the shape I want

time to go to a brow bar and have a professional "do" me

Johanna

One of the Regulars
SarahLouise said:
Johanna, you look completely different in every single photo! You have such a pretty and versatile face. I know this thread is about eyebrows but I just wondered if your lips are that shape naturally (as in the top picture) or do you overdraw them slightly?

Thank you! :) In the first picture it's pretty much my natural lip shape. Maybe a bit exaggerated rounding of the cupids bows.

Adele

One of the Regulars
My eyebrows, as mentioned previously in another thread I believe, are in the '30s style. I can't say I'm pleased with them, thus why I am trying to re-grow them a bit and try again.

I think there are batteries lying around somewhere in my house, so I'll borrow a digital and show y'all.

Laura Chase: I'd leave those eyebrows just the way they are, you look absolutely beautiful!

It's true, I'm mature enough to admit when I am extremely jealous.

Anyway, here are my brows (and unfortunately the rest of my face);

DSC00029.jpg

I only recently started using a pencil, as all previous attempts made me look a bit stupid. My brows are pretty odd though, they are very dark, but very sparse towards my nose, I also have to pluck them almost every day because they grow extemely quickly. Why can't the hair on my head be like that too????!!!

Sometimes I get a bit slap happy (excuse the poor joke) and make myself look like a clown. In a bad way.

*I just posted & re-read that - I don't want the hair on my head to be sparse towards my nose, I mean growing qickly.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
dollydaydream said:
lol

I always worry that I wipe them down the side of my face when I'm messing about with my specs, which I do a lot

Try Benefit's She-Laq. They won't rub off. I used to use it religiously when I penciled in my brows.

It obviously doesn't work too well.

Don't eyebrows rock?? *not being off topic* :D

I might draw big clown eyebrows tomorrow for work. They'll love that!

I think I will just draw them on an inch above my actual eyebrows, like the fabulous glamourous lady that used to live near me did. She always looked surprised :eek: She was amazing!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari