Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage eyebrow shapes

Laura Chase

One Too Many
ohairas said:
Yes, they were naturally dark and thick, so I don't get the need to pencil over them and make em look cakey like the first pic. [huh] LIke I said, they look pretty in the second pic, left more natural.
Nikki

Yeah, I agree it looks better in the second pic, but at the same time I kinda think the thick brows are her thing, they are kinda her signature Cleopatra-ish look. :) She's so gorgeous, I wish I had blue eyes, blue eyes + jet black har = drop dead gorgeous!

elizabeth_taylor8.jpg

Smuterella

One Too Many
can anyone recommend a good eyebrow pencil? I looked at benefits and MAC today and am just not sure what to get....

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Smuterella said:
can anyone recommend a good eyebrow pencil? I looked at benefits and MAC today and am just not sure what to get....

I use Benefit.

(the wax and powder really match my brow color and I can control the line precisely.)

Although I believe you are blonde correct? Hmm.. I would go to the counter and play with it first.

You also can't beat the idea that the Benefit has those little tweezers.....handy!

Smuterella

One Too Many
i may be blonde but my brows aren't....;)

I tried on the benefit and I'm just not sure

How do you use the wax and powder?

the girl on the counter put it all on the brush together

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Smuterella said:
i may be blonde but my brows aren't....;)

I tried on the benefit and I'm just not sure

How do you use the wax and powder?

the girl on the counter put it all on the brush together

I use one brush for the wax, and apply it thinly on the brow where I would like the powder to sit. The wax is dark enough where it does deposit some colour and adds dimension to the brow. Then I apply the powder with the second brush over the wax to further darken and shape the brow.

Think of when you apply lipstick (wax) then blot then apply a thin layer of powder to set.

I don't want to be presumptious and say the Benefit girl was applying it wrong, but I think she was.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
excuse the dumb looks

Here is a shot of my eyebrows using Benefit's eyebrow wax.
l_b6dab03359fa25c78739153bd894a363.jpg

See how it creates a thin tapered line at the end?

This one is of a pencil (Maybelline) (when I want thicker 50's brows)

l_ce7678d4e485f2cb5ccb0c18887d40c0.jpg

Smuterella

One Too Many
ooh thank you - i like them both. hmmmm. lots to think about.

I thought she was applying it wrong, why would they give you two bruses if you are meant to mis it together!

bettier

New in Town
Hi there. I am new to this place. I just have to add you are all gorgeous ladies. Been lurking here for a while. I really have no idea what kind of eyebrows I have, they are rather thick. I would say I am more 50s brow. :)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I will also say that Sephora's house brand has a similar item. Its two shades of powder and a clear wax and a small double ended stiff brush.

I won't say it is 100% equivalent to the benefit...but its close..and cheaper to start out with.

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
I will also say that Sephora's house brand has a similar item. Its two shades of powder and a clear wax and a small double ended stiff brush.

I won't say it is 100% equivalent to the benefit...but its close..and cheaper to start out with.

I will have to look this up! I didnt' even know..

(Just goes to show you the last time I went to Sephora......shame on me..LOL)

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
bettier said:
Hi there. I am new to this place. I just have to add you are all gorgeous ladies. Been lurking here for a while. I really have no idea what kind of eyebrows I have, they are rather thick. I would say I am more 50s brow. :)

Welcome to the Lounge, Bettier!

=ritzy=

Familiar Face
Show us your eyebrows....

I dont know if this has already been posted..but I know that for every era there was always a different way to style your eyebrows..thin or thick..how do you ladies wear yours??
=ritzy=

Sydney Loren

Familiar Face
Eyebrow Shape

The last time I had my eyebrows done was before I decided I was going to start dressing classy and vintage. The lady had done them how she pleased and they looked nothing like what I would want today. I'm currently growing them back out (as unattractive as they are at the moment, haha) and am trying to figure out what shape to go with.

Do you have a preference, is there was one that was popular in the 30s or 40s that you favor, and so on and so forth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters