Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds

Vintage eyebrow shapes

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Messages
4,811
Location
Top of the Hill
C-dot said:
Ingrid's eyebrows were a statement - David O. Selznick sold her as the only "natural girl" in Hollywood, because she refused to pluck her brows or cap her teeth. She was very low fuss, happily chopping off her hair to play Maria in For Whom the Bell Tolls.
(Trivia: Ernest Hemingway warned her she would have to cut her hair off to play Maria. "To get that part," she said, "I'd chop my head off!")


That's correct. She refused to go through "the Hollywood treatment" but then , she was not only a natural beauty but also an actress of rare talent.

Ingrid wanted the role of Maria so bad, that when push came to shove she thought it over and did go for her hair (instead of chopping her head off[huh] ) ... and her new short style swept the nation! :)

Ingrid with short hair in the role of Maria
5ed5582671b3e6ed_landing.jpg
 

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Messages
2,962
Location
Northern California
Any chance we can see a face closeup pic of you soon please? I'd love to see how it all looks on you. At the nails salons out here, lots of the vietnamese gals that work there have the tatooed eyebrows. It always looks great on them.

1*Cool*Kitten said:
I got so busy with college work & life in general a few years ago I had my entire face tattooed!(yep! full on permanate makeup!)lips,liner,eyeliner,eyebrows,highlighting on the cheeks the whole kitten-kaboodle!!
getting up for the graveyard shift at a hospital,then a nap befor college, then a nap befor work then a nap befor the hospital shift again....I barely had time to shower,Grab n' Go food & LOTS of "JOE" so in order to be my feminine mostest I decided permanate was best for me!plus not only that my eyesight was going to get bad as I aged so I wanted to see what the lifespan of it would be!so far it's been 5 years & it's gotten more vivid!the tattoo artist I chose was a "salty dawg(dog)"but he knew his stuff![Thanks tom!] my hair color changes so do my eyebrows!It's amazing!every hair color I change to the eyebrows miraculously blend! it's amazing to me!
So that's an option too!
 

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Messages
2,962
Location
Northern California
I think Audrey Hepburn eyebrows especially in Roman Holiday looked great and very natural, and her teeth were uncapped too, the front two are very crooked...

C-dot said:
Ingrid's eyebrows were a statement - David O. Selznick sold her as the only "natural girl" in Hollywood, because she refused to pluck her brows or cap her teeth. She was very low fuss, happily chopping off her hair to play Maria in For Whom the Bell Tolls.
(Trivia: Ernest Hemingway warned her she would have to cut her hair off to play Maria. "To get that part," she said, "I'd chop my head off!")
 

Anwen

New in Town
Messages
49
Location
London
I've also got the whole mismatched-brows thing going on:

shoshatikvah


I kind of like it, though sometimes (like in the colour pic!) it does look a bit like I'm doing the whole Roger Moore one-raised-eyebrow look ;) which sadly I can't actually do.

(Excuse the uneven makeup, I was experimenting with smokey 20sish eyes as I'd been planning to go to a Hallowe'en thing tomorrow in a 20s vamp(ire) sort of outfit, not going now though, booooo!)

All the ladies here are so gorgeous!
 

Anwen

New in Town
Messages
49
Location
London
Well, I did manage to make it out for hallowe'en, unfortunately I thought I'd left my camera at home (except I just found it lurking in a pocket of my bag, bother!) so I don't have pictures, but I did the whole 20s vamp(ire) thing.

I used some whiteface stage makeup mixed with tinted moisturiser to make myself extra pale, and also covered up my eyebrows as best I could so as to draw on thin brows with kohl pencil - I was surprised at how much I liked them! I followed my actual brow shape, but just did a thin line and then extended the length of the brow so it came roughly level with the bottom of my eye makeup (ie sort of diagonally up from the corner of my eye in line with the shape of my eye).
 

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Messages
2,908
Location
Toronto, Canada
Anwen said:
Well, I did manage to make it out for hallowe'en, unfortunately I thought I'd left my camera at home (except I just found it lurking in a pocket of my bag, bother!) so I don't have pictures, but I did the whole 20s vamp(ire) thing.

Thats kind of what I did :) I drew on the brows the same way.

I used to draw my brows on like that every day for nearly 2 years 'cause I had none. It's fun to be dramatic!
 

MissHannah

One Too Many
Messages
1,248
Location
London
chanteuseCarey said:
I think Audrey Hepburn eyebrows especially in Roman Holiday looked great and very natural, and her teeth were uncapped too, the front two are very crooked...

I have never ever noticed that Audrey Hepburn had crooked teeth. I just spent some time looking at photos of her smiling and I honestly can't see anything wrong with her teeth at all... Is this just a British perception vs American perception thing or did she have them straightened at some point later?
 

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Messages
2,908
Location
Toronto, Canada
MissHannah said:
I have never ever noticed that Audrey Hepburn had crooked teeth. I just spent some time looking at photos of her smiling and I honestly can't see anything wrong with her teeth at all... Is this just a British perception vs American perception thing or did she have them straightened at some point later?

She may have, but they look very straight in Roman Holiday photos to me.
 

Berlin

Practically Family
Messages
510
Location
The Netherlands
I am not so fond of my eyebrows, they are mismatching.
I would love to have the eyebrows Marilyn Monroe has, but unfortunatly it's impossible with mines!

portrait2.jpg
 

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Messages
2,908
Location
Toronto, Canada
Berlin said:
I am not so fond of my eyebrows, they are mismatching.
I would love to have the eyebrows Marilyn Monroe has, but unfortunatly it's impossible with mines!

portrait2.jpg

Are you kidding?! Your brows are high and full enough, and perfectly arched. Get thee to a dark grey eyebrow pencil!
 

Inky

One Too Many
Messages
1,743
Location
State of Confusion AKA California
C-dot said:
Are you kidding?! Your brows are high and full enough, and perfectly arched. Get thee to a dark grey eyebrow pencil!

ditto what C-Dot said - get yourself a good dark grey pencil or brow powder and color and shape those bad boys in. you have the makings of very good marilyn brows - and guess what, it washes off and you can try again!! yay makeup! :D
 

Lorena B

Practically Family
Messages
566
Location
London, UK
C-dot said:
Ingrid's eyebrows were a statement - David O. Selznick sold her as the only "natural girl" in Hollywood, because she refused to pluck her brows or cap her teeth.
This is the same case as Ava Gardner, she practically fought anyone who got close to her browns, something really wise knowing what end up happening to her friend the poor Lana Turner.
 

Berlin

Practically Family
Messages
510
Location
The Netherlands
Thanks Inky and C-dot, my eyebrows are naturally brown, but stupidly enough I have never thought of using a darker color to achief Marilyn like eyebrows. I'm gonna try it immediatly! :)
 

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Messages
2,908
Location
Toronto, Canada
Lorena B said:
This is the same case as Ava Gardner, she practically fought anyone who got close to her browns, something really wise knowing what end up happening to her friend the poor Lana Turner.

Same as Lucille Ball!

Thank goodness my brows grew back....

Berlin said:
Thanks Inky and C-dot, my eyebrows are naturally brown, but stupidly enough I have never thought of using a darker color to achief Marilyn like eyebrows. I'm gonna try it immediatly! :)

Show us pictures!
 

Smuterella

One Too Many
Messages
1,776
Location
London
Berlin said:
Thanks Inky and C-dot, my eyebrows are naturally brown, but stupidly enough I have never thought of using a darker color to achief Marilyn like eyebrows. I'm gonna try it immediatly! :)

Really yes, you have major Marilyn brow potential. I'm jealous.
 

jessesgirl08

One of the Regulars
Messages
172
Location
azusa, ca
eyebrows!!

about 10 years ago i thought it would be a good idea to shave off my eyebrows:eusa_doh: .........and long story short they never did grow back right so i have had to continue shaving them..daily(UUGGHH) :mad: and drawing them on (double UUGGHH):rage: any ideas on how to make them fit into the 40s vintage look? also pics if possible so i can try them all out ;)
 

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Messages
4,463
Location
Boston, MA
Have you tried letting them grow back and just filling them in with pencil from there? Waxing them, so you don't have to shave them every day?

Also, http://www.headcovers.com/cosmetics/eyebrows/ sells human hair fake eyebrows for women who have lost theirs. They're on a clear, flexible backing that supposedly makes it look like they're growing from the browline. They can be trimmed to shape, worn with eyebrow pencil, and come in a variety of colors. They can be worn for several days at a time and will apparently last months if cared for. Sounds like this might be the easiest solution for you.

EDIT: They also make semi-permanent eyebrow tattoos.
 

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Messages
4,811
Location
Top of the Hill
All this talk about Ernest Hemingway in another thread,got me going! lol lol

But seriously, have you considered leaving your eyebrows grow like the late :( Margaux Hemingway, instead of 1940s? Like Ingrid Bergman too? Margaux was Ernest granddaughter .... along with Ali MacGraw and Brooke Shields those are imo the best eyebrows ever! If you must have hair the eyebrows are the right place to have it ! :)


x7jthwimzuzf7xtu.jpg



x7ij9cbbrfg6bbfj.jpg
 

Forum statistics

Threads
102,350
Messages
2,903,887
Members
49,480
Latest member
Bobby pin
Top