Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage eyebrow shapes

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Personally, I like this look much better then the look she had starting out, which was quite dark:
plat01.jpg
plat03.jpg

I also dislike Joan Crawford's brow and mouth shape:
joan_crawford_gallery_9.jpg

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I have strawberry blonde eyebrows that would probably take over my whole face if I didn't pluck every day. My ex-roomate used to shave hers and draw in cute little 30's brows. Only problem is stubble, and that they have a tendency to wear off leaving you with one or no brows. :p

Even so, I have to use pencil for there to be much of any shape. I have worn almost every possible eyebrow style.

I get stencils for some of the harder to draw styles, but tend to favor a natural arch for my everyday look.

I used to wear a dramatic 40's arch sometimes, until my mom saw me and told me that I looked evil.

The eyebrow styles are one of the biggest differences between the different decades in terms of makeup (the other one being how you wear lipstick). If you wear a vintage style, it completely changes the way you look.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
No, is it clear? I have a heck of a time finding light auburn anything. I am considering going back to tinting for everyday though.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
She-laq is a clear liquid you apply over your brow pencil, eyeliner, mascara, or lipstick (it's not very effective in this last department, though.) It's a bit pricey, but it prevents the dreaded smeared (or worse, one) eyebrow look!

Caledonia

Practically Family
Tourbillion - I have the same colour problem. I use any pencil with the word 'blonde' in the name or something similar. Anything else is too dark. I've tinted many times but the colour is uncontrollable and I end up with Joan Crawford which is not a good look for me. So then I have to pluck to an early Harlow to minimise, then I look for a head-sized paper bag. I don't tint anymore and just go with pencil. But as has been said, at least you can pencil in whatever contour you want. However, I've found through experimenting that I just don't look right with any stylised brow, which is a pity as I would love the 40s look. I'm stuck with a neat au naturelle I think.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
jitterbugdoll said:
I work with another woman who also has her brows tattooed on, and I was shocked when she told me this, as her brows looked very natural!

I'm actually considering having my brows tattooed. In fact, I had a conversation with D Day Doll about it just the other day! lol My brows are fairly thin and uneven, so it is a constant matter of penciling in to even them out - or else going for the uber thin 30s brow which probably wouldn't be flattering on me. I'd say mine right now are probably a thin(ish) rounded arch. I love the dramatic arch a la Sherilyn Fenn, but not sure I can pull that off!

I've used the "Honey Brown" color mentioned and it is nice, but too light for my auburn hair. So, Caledonia, it might work well for you! I have to use a dark brown usually.

Joan Crawford's brows are the extreme end of the spectrum. I work with a girl who is very cute and has light brown hair - but her brows look like 2 large, jet black caterpillars. I just want to hold her down and tweeze. lol

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
As Promised

I had a hard time finding what would have been totally natural brows...but am fairly sure that I hadn't done much maintaining of shape while I was a student in England (due to my laziness), so the first pic is from then.

oldeyebrows.jpg

This one is today...sorry its just the eyes...but I look icky today ;)

IMG_0708.jpg

HistWardrobe

Vendor
brows

My natural brow shape has a strong arch to it and they're about medium width - as was the fashion from the mid 40s through early 50s -- not as heavy as the heavy furry commas of the late 50s look.

When I was in my late teens and early 20s and was deeply into 1920s -30s retro, I plucked them into the shape of that era and they looked great. They weren't pencil-thin and unnaturally postioned like Harlow's however but they were pretty thin. (Sort of like early Myrna Loy or Claudette Colbert - my idols then.)

This look was extremely flattering to an 18-20 year old face, on a person dressed in vintage or retro clothing, but it would look utterly ridiculous now, so I stick to what nature's given me.

PS -- I actually got to MEET Claudette Colbert once, with Rex Harrison - our high school Thespian troupe got to go back stage at The National Theatre after their performance.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
:eusa_clap great eyebrows miss neecerie! I think whoever did them , did an excellent job!
another great product for eyebrows is, NYC Browser..this comes in 3 or 4 different shades...this is what I use most of the time...the stencil thing I'm still getting use to, MK..HELP!:D

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Thanks for the tip on the "honey brown." I am currently using a stash of light auburn, but it is a discontinued shade. I can use some blondes, but if they are ashy they don't look right.

There is a site called justforredheads, I've used their mascaras, but I might go for their eyebrow pencils or powders. I've tried "clove" brow powder from the beauty supply, but it is too bright.

I have a small eyebrow stencil collection at this point. I tried "Marilyn Monroe" from eyebrowz but I looked like a stripper. Their Grace Kelly is a better choice for 1940s looks, or maybe their Katherine Hepburn. I need to stick to their thin styles, and supposedly not too arched or my long face looks longer.

The Christian "sophisticated thin" one is the one my mom said made me look evil.

I used to use Revlon Roux, but I ran out, and it is difficult to get here in the states legally. I mixed it with distilled water to get a light brown, otherwise it is way too dark.

Rosie

One Too Many
Tourbillion, another thng that you can do to keep your brows on is just a light bit of dusting with your usual powder after doing them, this will keep them on.

Due to overplucking and hypothroidism, this is what my brows looked like :eek:

overplucked.jpg

These are my "draw ons" after an entire day using the dusting technique:

natural.jpg

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
HistWardrobe said:
PS -- I actually got to MEET Claudette Colbert once, with Rex Harrison - our high school Thespian troupe got to go back stage at The National Theatre after their performance.

Aackk!! I am so jealous as I LOVE Claudette Colbert! You must promise to tell me all about it, when we finally manage to get together soon!

Jessica

Tourbillion

Practically Family
mysterygal said:
how about lightening the brows up a bit without using any dyes? Are there any products out there that can achieve this?

Officially, probably not. How about Jolen creme bleach? I know people do this, but it is seems really dangerous to me.

Some of my crazy bottle blond friends just put regular hair bleach on their brows.

Don't try this at home....results not guaranteed!

(unless you are as crazy as my friends)

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Rosie said:
Tourbillion, another thng that you can do to keep your brows on is just a light bit of dusting with your usual powder after doing them, this will keep them on.

Due to overplucking and hypothyroidism, this is what my brows looked like :eek:

overplucked.jpg

These are my "draw ons" after an entire day using the dusting technique:

natural.jpg
I have hypothyroidism too. However, there is only slight thinning of the hair on the outside of my brows.

Your end of the day picture is fabulous. I look completely thrashed at the end of the day, even if I still have eyebrows. :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko