Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage eyebrow shapes

P

Paul

Inspirational eyebrow style

Miss Neecerie said:
I had a hard time finding what would have been totally natural brows...but am fairly sure that I hadn't done much maintaining of shape while I was a student in England (due to my laziness), so the first pic is from then.

This one is today...sorry its just the eyes...but I look icky today ;)

IMG_0708.jpg

You must be please with the results, a lot of maintenance to come keeping that shape would guess worth it.
Would you describe them as high or medium arch? , a 40's style ?
Mine are very similar to your before photo at the top! all I can add is inspirational and thanks for sharing it with us.

Rosie

One Too Many
Tourbillion said:
I have hypothyroidism too. However, there is only slight thinning of the hair on the outside of my brows.

Your end of the day picture is fabulous. I look completely thrashed at the end of the day, even if I still have eyebrows. :eek:

Awwwwww, thank you. (Insert picture of little pac man like guy blowing you a kiss.)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Tourbillion said:
Officially, probably not. How about Jolen creme bleach? I know people do this, but it is seems really dangerous to me.

Some of my crazy bottle blond friends just put regular hair bleach on their brows.

Don't try this at home....results not guaranteed!

(unless you are as crazy as my friends)
lol with my luck, they'll turn out freakish..I get in my eyes and go blind :eek: :rolleyes:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've used Jolen for years on other locations, but I can't see how anybody could stand to have it near their eyes long enough for it to do any good -- the fumes are overpowering. Even if it didn't drip in your eyes, I'd think suffocation would be a risk!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Ok ladies, I can't decide if I want to shape my brows a bit differently or not! I was just looking at Jitterbug's pics, (YOU LOOK AMAZING!!! Perfect brows!) and I'm really liking the softer looking, more rounded brow. I think sometimes I look "mean" too. Hmmm... I'm noivous, they're so dark they'll show big time if I have to grow them back out.

But I'm not getting any younger and I'm thinking the softer brow will soften my looks.

Give me your honest opinion gals, here's some of my latest pics,
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ohairas/album/576460762343344549#page1

Nikki

kirawoidan

New in Town
I was very inspired by Lauren's recent magazine post to completely shave off my eyebrows and just pencil them, but I chickened out! I do dress more 30s than 40s and I actually like the thin look better on me. Has anyone actually shaved them off? I would love to hear an experience about it.

katiemakeup

Practically Family
I always reshape mine, but as of late I am finding a thicker, arched brow works best for me... I guess it's more 40's-50's. I have had super thin 20's-30's brows before and allthough I love them, they don't suit my face. I have trimmed mine down to almost nothing before as it sometimes help me when I reshape them, but I only did that once and it looked odd, so I had to wear pencil everyday!

Tourbillion

Practically Family
ohairas said:
Ok ladies, I can't decide if I want to shape my brows a bit differently or not! I was just looking at Jitterbug's pics, (YOU LOOK AMAZING!!! Perfect brows!) and I'm really liking the softer looking, more rounded brow. I think sometimes I look "mean" too. Hmmm... I'm noivous, they're so dark they'll show big time if I have to grow them back out.

But I'm not getting any younger and I'm thinking the softer brow will soften my looks.

Give me your honest opinion gals, here's some of my latest pics,
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ohairas/album/576460762343344549#page1

Nikki

Nikki, the eyebrows are cute, almost as cute as your little lion.

P

Paul

kirawoidan said:
I was very inspired by Lauren's recent magazine post to completely shave off my eyebrows and just pencil them, but I chickened out! .

Gosh ... that would be a radical or courageous thing to do these days I have recently seen a young 18 or 19 year old lady working in a shop with completely shaved eye bows and penciled in again, which strangely suited here. but I do wonder what comments she gets from other ladies for doing that.:eek:
I can in visage many ladies here giving advice again doing that and rightly so because it is such a radical thing to do and whist not a permeated change it would look very different for doing it and not every ones idea of style today.
On the other hand if you already like thin eye brows and your face is the right shape for you to pull off that look, you will not know unless you try after all you are only young once! :eusa_clap

VargasGirl

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
What's weird is seeing old women who, decade after decade, plucked their eyebrows to oblivion -- and now their eyebrow hair doesn't grow back at all! It's totally bald up there! That's just plain creepy.

I had a great-aunt who would wither pluck them or shave them off in her youth, and she was stuck having to still draw them on in her later years. I saw a segment on the Tyra Banks show where there was a mother and daughter who were obsessed with plucking, to the point where they weren't growing back anymore. A beauty expert said to buy Women's Rogaine and use a Q-tip to apply to those spots, and they would grow back.

P

Paul

With continual plucking I would say that the result would be permanent loss I not sure about is shaving?
How long would it take to grow back and how often you have to shave them.
Some one might be able to enlighten me on that.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Even though I perfer the wartime look, I like to keep my eyebrows slightly thicker. Not 50's thick, but not 40's thin either. Definitley not 30's thin. It is said that thicker eyebrows give a more youthful look... and as the resident Lolita... the younger I appear, the better. LOL While I do try to shape my eyebrows with a point at the arch, rather than a curve, my brows are still straight across. :( Boo.:mad: I do have to say that they are a bit bushy right now because I am too lazy to pluck them... Oh and apparently my face thinks it looks more attractive with a unibrow because lately it has been getting hairy and dark in the middle. :rage:

olive bleu

One Too Many
I am more into the 20's & 30's look, and i have a good shape to my brow naturally. I have gone a bit thinner in recent years, and i would like to try plucking superthin but i am scared:eek: Has anyone really tried it?Do you have any pictures?

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I have plucked mine very thin in the past, and they grew back like gangbusters. If I hadn't seen my grandmother without her drawn in brows I'd be wishing they wouldn't grow back!!!

Grannie's didn't grow back, she thinks it is because she used mascara on them. My ex-roomie shaves hers and draws on little 30's brows, and they seem to grow back too.

Not sure why some don't grow back and others grow like crazy.

kirawoidan

New in Town
Here's a picture from a week ago:
Picture722.jpg

Here's one from a few mins ago:
Picture.jpg

In person, the second set of brows look better. The angle is weird in that picture and makes them look really far apart, but they arent. I only pucked on the inside of my brows. I have a few complements in only the last two days I've had them done!

P

Paul

kirawoidan for what's it worth I think you latest shape is very good
You not thinking now about going even thinner ?.

Just found this short video clip on eyebrow pluckingbliss Eyebrow Guide

It's sort of for beginners so you all my know more that this.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Ok ladies, I can't decide if I want to shape my brows a bit differently or not! I was just looking at Jitterbug's pics, (YOU LOOK AMAZING!!! Perfect brows!)

Oh, thank you so much! I like to keep mine a little thinner with a nice arch (which I pluck in, as my brows are naturally crescent-shaped), as it opens up the eye nicely for a wide-eyed, youthful look. 1940s brows tended to be more "natural, yet manicured," with a nice rounded arch. 1950s brows are much stronger with a pointed arch (too strong for my features), and 1930s brows tended to be quite, quite thin and crescent-shaped (again, not quite right for my face shape.)

From my understanding, shaving and plucking brows can cause them to never grow back (I once worked with a gal who had to have her brows tattooed on following a shaving/plucking mishap in her teens.) Several movie actresses, including Lana Turner, had their brows shaved off for movie roles, and they never grew back in. So, I'd experiment with covering your natural brows with wax in order to achieve the look without completely removing them :)

P

Paul

I have just read how cosmetic surgeons do not shave eyebrows any more because of the risk of the not growing back it sound like it's gamble not worth taking .

HopeB

New in Town
Great website & book for vintage-style eyebrows

Hi, all
I'm new to the site, but I know of two good resources for getting period-style eyebrows. There is a great book with tons of photos of classic actresses by Robyn Cosio, "The Eyebrow" that traces styles in the 20th-century. One caveat is that the author, a makeup artist, prefers the 40s/50s style arch, but there are great photos of thinner 20s/30s brows.
http://www.amazon.com/Eyebrow-Robyn..._bbs_sr_1/103-2082240-3214215?ie=UTF8&s=books

Another place to check out is www.eyebrowz.com, which sells makeup and brow stencils, a few inspired by Marilyn Monroe, Grace Kelly, etc. They also carry ultra thin stencils. I have really thick eyebrows, so I find using stencils easier.
Also, the Kevyn Aucoin books are great! I was so sad when he died, I always wanted to meet him.
--Hope

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui