Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage eyebrow shapes

Shimmy Sally

Oooh, great resource, thank you!

HopeB said:
Hi, all
I'm new to the site, but I know of two good resources for getting period-style eyebrows. There is a great book with tons of photos of classic actresses by Robyn Cosio, "The Eyebrow" that traces styles in the 20th-century. One caveat is that the author, a makeup artist, prefers the 40s/50s style arch, but there are great photos of thinner 20s/30s brows.
http://www.amazon.com/Eyebrow-Robyn..._bbs_sr_1/103-2082240-3214215?ie=UTF8&s=books

Another place to check out is www.eyebrowz.com, which sells makeup and brow stencils, a few inspired by Marilyn Monroe, Grace Kelly, etc. They also carry ultra thin stencils. I have really thick eyebrows, so I find using stencils easier.
Also, the Kevyn Aucoin books are great! I was so sad when he died, I always wanted to meet him.
--Hope

Martini Slayer

New in Town
My friend LisaConway waxes her own, and she has the most amazing brow job I have ever seen! She wears the Kewpy Doll "high suprise"... I have tried to get salons to do it for me, but they never seem to get it like her's..

I wear mine pencil thin and as high as they grow.. Very 40's But my brows are blonde and I still need to color them with a brown pencil so they can be seen.. :)

P

Paul

Martini Slayer said:
My friend LisaConway waxes her own, and she has the most amazing brow job I have ever seen! She wears the Kewpy Doll "high suprise"... I have tried to get salons to do it for me, but they never seem to get it like her's..

I wear mine pencil thin and as high as they grow.. Very 40's But my brows are blonde and I still need to color them with a brown pencil so they can be seen.. :)

Why not take a photo of you friends bows and take it in to the salon. i think salons are sort of
conservative with a re-shape and do not want to be in trouble if they do it wrong and so do not do a really vintage shape.
Apart from the girls might not know what a 40's or 50's shape is even less 20's or 30's

Yours are really thin Great!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Martini Slayer

New in Town
Hehehee Yeah... I wear them really thin.. Thanks! :) I will try and get a pic of my friends brows.. that's a good idea.. The salons are WAY consevituve on me and I sometimes have to make then do it TWICE..

I have even gone so far as take a black pencil and draw what I want on my brow...

But jitterbugdoll is right in stateing the fact that my brows are blonde.. I can end up drawing on what I want anyway, most of the time.. But I do like it if there is some hair under that line.. lol

GOK

One Too Many
I don't do anything with mine beyond taking out the odd stragglers that insist on growing on the bridge of my nose. Other than that, the tweezers go nowhere near my brows. I do use black eyeshadow on them because even though they are dark, they are naturally thin and I like to have some definition. See....

DSC00063.jpg

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Before taking a tweezer to the eyebrows, I strongly recommend buying some good brow stencils. What you do is hold them against your natural brows and fill them in a dark color...thin eyebrows may look great on one person but on yourself, you may really wish you never went there!
NYC makes a great eyebrow kit...this one of my favorite make-up tools! (plus it's so cheap :D ) it has two squares, one is wax while the other is the color that will be applied onto the brow....you first take your angled brush (which is included) dip it into the wax then the powder color and apply. It's very easy and works great.

Elaina

One Too Many
When I was 15 I actually went to an old lady salon and got the pluck done. The woman sat with me for about an hour showing me everything from the 20's on and then we decided on the 40's look. After that, she told me how to draw them on and get the look for what I wanted (natural arch or high arch) using a standard Maybelline pencil and chapstick, and told me to keep up with them and I'd never need to come back. I paid $38 (before a tip) for this service in 1990, and after being tweezed within an inch of my little brow's life, they never did grow back fully. Of course, they never have grown in right at all either, but they certainly look better then my angry slash, going halfway down my eyelids I used to have for eyebrows.

Stencils never worked for me, and I've tried them. Either the arch is in the wrong place for me to force one, they're not long enough, or they end up not looking right. I use my stencil for my husband (but don't tell him I said that), and do clean up on his unibrow.

Martini Slayer

New in Town
I Totally agree with Mystery Girl about the NYC brand... Pencil's are pencils.. and the NYC pencils are only a buck! :) I also LOVE thier powder.. $1. thankyouverymuch! Hehee!

I finally got a GREAT wax job at my regular salon for the holidays.. I tiped the lady $5 on a $8 job... I think that she will remember me next time, and not be afraid of takeing off too much hair.. I say, "Rip it off!" I would rather she make a mistake and leave me bald, and I have to draw them on, then to have to draw them thin and there be HAIR outside the line.. *shudder*

But Lookie.. Whatcha think?

342075502_b8531b46df.jpg

P

Paul

Martini Slayer said:
But Lookie.. Whatcha think?

342075502_b8531b46df.jpg

:eusa_clap Great! Great!:eusa_clap
Are they the thinnest you ever gone, I know it's slightly controversial but I do like thin bows myself on ladies. I will add as long as they are done because they lady likes them that way and not just for fashion sake.

Tell me was the lady slightly surprised at having to take the amount off.

Good for you. They really suite you.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
They look good martini!:eusa_clap I'm glad you really like the product as well!
You are brave for going in for the waxing! Or is it not so painful around the eyebrows? I did the leg thing once...came out thinking that was the most ridiculous form of willing torture I ever had to go through!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I agree, mysterygal, that NYC brow kit with the powder and the wax is awesome! I use it every day. The wax is perfect for keeping strays in line.

I get my brows waxed about once a month or so, and I maintain in between with tweezing strays. I try to do this each night, and I trim the hairs about every 2 weeks or whenever they look like they need it. I'm a huge wimp, but brow waxing is really not bad at all. Waaaaayyyy less painful than any other waxing (legs, upper lip, etc.) My eyes don't even water up. I'd put it equivalent with extractions during a facial.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I just may have to look into that (brow waxing)....I'm a huge wimp myself !:)
Laura Mercier also makes a great eyebrow powder, which I like to use for day wear sometimes...but the NYC stuff really does the job

P

Paul

mysterygal said:
I just may have to look into that (brow waxing)....I'm a huge wimp myself !:)

The pain involved with waxing depends so much on the experience of the lady doing it, the more experience they are the less pain your have especially with leg waxing. Look out for the trainee , and try and avoid them!.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Paul said:
The pain involved with waxing depends so much on the experience of the lady doing it, the more experience they are the less pain your have especially with leg waxing. Look out for the trainee , and try and avoid them!.
Or take some heavy duty pain killers before you go!:p That does make sense that it would depend on the person who is doing the waxing.

P

Paul

Oh yes pain killers do help , it's the speed they pull off the strip, and I think a trainee has just not got the confidence to do it fast and thus more pain full.
If the lady is running behind on time then that's great as she do it quickly to try and catch up. lol

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Paul said:
Oh yes pain killers do help , it's the speed they pull off the strip, and I think a trainee has just not got the confidence to do it fast and thus more pain full.
If the lady is running behind on time then that's great as she do it quickly to try and catch up. lol
:eek: I actually cringed reading this! lol would be like a mega band-aid being stripped off!
*note to self* make sure to supply resumes for future waxers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider