Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage eyebrow shapes

P

Paul

mysterygal said:
would be like a mega band-aid being stripped off!

I am really bad when it come to those 1st class wimp :eek: prefer not to use them, it's not as bad as that.

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
I do the whole shave eyebrows and draw them back on thing.

I've found if I draw them with eyeliner pencil first, then go over them with liquid eyeliner they tend to stay.

Is a pain having to shave them every other day though.

eyebrows.jpg

P

Paul

You are very brave these days , do you try different shades. :eusa_clap

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
TheKitschGoth said:
I do the whole shave eyebrows and draw them back on thing.

I've found if I draw them with eyeliner pencil first, then go over them with liquid eyeliner they tend to stay.

Is a pain having to shave them every other day though.

I've heard though that after awhile of tweezing/shaving the eyebrows, they begin not to grow back...have you noticed this at all?
I also have to say that you do a good job drawing your eyebrows in!

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
mysterygal said:
I've heard though that after awhile of tweezing/shaving the eyebrows, they begin not to grow back...have you noticed this at all?
I also have to say that you do a good job drawing your eyebrows in!

No, unfortunately.. would save me a lot of hassle shaving them. lol

You should see me some days, I end up with extremely wonky eyeborows. If I'm out for an evening I usually get a chance to do my eyebrows properly, but in the mornings before work I have to do them in a hurry :eek:

Martini Slayer

New in Town
Wow! Sorry I haven't checked back in awhile! :)

Yes, this is the thinnest I had ever gone... But not for want of being thicker.. This is exactly how I have always wanted them, but the ladies in the salon are ALWAYS too afraid to give me what I want!

It's so very frustrating... And just forget about me doing them myself. That is just not ever gonna happen. I'm a big baby..

So, when I had my brows done this last time, I made SURE to tip the lady well. I want her to remember that I will NOT be mad if she goes that thin.. :)

And in answer to the waxing being painful... Heck no! I have to admit, that the very first time did sting a bit... But then everytime after that, the roots are weaker and now it's really no big deal at all. :)

It's not like a brazillian.. You wanna talk about pain, Dayum... I don't think I'll ever do THAT again..

hehee ;)

Ruby Slippers

One of the Regulars
I am another who is guilty of serious over-tweezing, back in my youth. I had a very thin brow with quite a high arch, but they've always been difficult to manage (I am hispanic, and some of us are cursed with very strange eyebrows that can be challenging if you are female). I've never been fond of the heavy look for myself; it looks fabulous on other people (Audrey Hepburn, of course) but my features don't allow for it.

I have recently found the shape I am content with and am sticking with it. Of course, this took years of research and experimentation and they did thin out a little. I'm just thankful that they grew back, although I feel kind of naked if I don't pencil them in. I have friends who shave completely, and some who do so and draw them back in. It looks great on them, but those who draw them do suffer other concerns like weather and travel.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I see I'm in the minority here (always am with this topic!) but I LOVE thin-as-can-be eyebrows and I always think they look good on anyone. They always have an air of the 1930s to me (even if it's not intended!) I love spooky, "scary", high-arched brows. Maybe it's my former punk coming out, too ;)

P

Paul

Amy Jeanne said:
I see I'm in the minority here (always am with this topic!)
There is nothing wrong with been in the minority, if it suites you then wear in it my motto. I think fashion is all about been a individual:eusa_clap .

Eleanor Marie

One of the Regulars
Undecided

Well ladies -there are a lot of different ideas! I am growing mine out for a few days to see if I can alter mine but I fear that I'm too overzealous tweezing and waxing in the past and will be stuck with what I have - we'll see. Still deciding what will be ok with the new glasses shape too...

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
I have dark, medium thick eyebrows, and I just pluck them to suit my face. But, when it comes to vintage fashion, I do not stick to one decade. In my closet I have 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s dresses and when I wear them, I sometimes like to have the correct face look to match.

I find that a medium thick, nicely shaped brow is quite versatile: When doing 20s or 30s, I use a pencil in a shade that matches my brow and draw them much longer towards the temple than they are naturally, making the line thinner and thinner. When doing 40s or 50s, I make them a little thicker towards the nose and works on the arch with pencil and hairspray on a toothbrush. Over-emphasizing the decades most prominent brow-qualities just a little can really make a difference, without the pain and point-of-no-return-horror of plucking them.

Also, when looking at pictures of decade-divas looking great with more ore less extreme eybrows, remember that black/white photo and real life are two very different things. With the right lighting and such, I am sure I could look great beeing photographed with glued on brows made of carboard. But I would sure not wear that for real.....;)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
ok, this may be a bit :eek:fftopic: but, my hair is REALLY light blonde, but my eyebrows are still kind of dark, I'm wanting to somehow dye them a light shade...I saw a product at Sally's, but wondering, anyone here ever done this, and what did you think of the results?

Kimberly

Practically Family
mysterygal said:
ok, this may be a bit :eek:fftopic: but, my hair is REALLY light blonde, but my eyebrows are still kind of dark, I'm wanting to somehow dye them a light shade...I saw a product at Sally's, but wondering, anyone here ever done this, and what did you think of the results?

I have done it a few times and was allright with the results. If you have dark natural hair though then there is a good chance the eyebrows will have a reddish tint to them so you may want to play around with the leave in time. I used to keep mine on for 5-7 minutes depending on how light I wanted them.

Be very careful though and make sure you don't get any of it too close to your eyes.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
mysterygal, you might try getting some light colored (like tan or beige) eyeshadow and putting it over your eyebrows first to see if that helps lighten them. I'd be careful putting chemicals myself on my eyebrows just because my eyebrows are so close to my eyes and with my clutziness, I'd be likely to get chemical in my eye or lightening them too much.

Sweet Polly Purebred

A-List Customer
So, I bought a kit from eyebrows.com and I've been playing around with it. It will take some practice to use the stencils successfully but I'm happy with the shapes I've chosen and the powder colours. What's jamming me up is that I'm not used to seeing defined brows on myself and it looks so strong on me. I have dark brows but they are sparse from the arch out and naturally round shaped, so giving them definition is what I'm after but it just seems so strong.

Sounds silly but .. How long does it take to get used to seeing yourself with well defined brows?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot