Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage eyebrow shapes

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thora Zine said:
So, I bought a kit from eyebrows.com and I've been playing around with it. It will take some practice to use the stencils successfully but I'm happy with the shapes I've chosen and the powder colours. What's jamming me up is that I'm not used to seeing defined brows on myself and it looks so strong on me. I have dark brows but they are sparse from the arch out and naturally round shaped, so giving them definition is what I'm after but it just seems so strong.

Sounds silly but .. How long does it take to get used to seeing yourself with well defined brows?

OOh, post pictures Thora. I'd love to see how they are working out for you. I'm sure they look great. I know what you mean about having sparse brows. My brows are also very dark, but thin, especially on the inside toward the bridge of my nose. I've been thinking about getting the same kit. You have motivated me to go for it. I really want to have a more defined brow. I don't know how long it will take to get used to. But, being that you know that you have added to them, your awareness of that probably makes you feel like they are a lot stronger than they are. They probably look completely normal and natural to others. Let us know how it works out for you.
I don't think I'll actually be able to change the arch of my brow, so I'm just gonna have to work with what I've got and just try to make them a bit more defined than they are.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
It took me awhile to get used to having well defined brows...probably about a month or two. For the longest time I had the 'barely there' brows- I think because since I grew up with thick brows that I was going for the exact opposite (they were just not in!).
Anyways, I remember when MK first did my make-up and I seriously got freaked out when I saw what he did to my brows- and knowing me probably voiced my concerns! When seeing the whole look together, I liked it, but it was SO different from what I was used to!
The catcher for me was seeing myself in photos...the difference was not only incredible, but I absolutely LOVED the look. Now, my face/makeup doesn't feel 'done' if my brows aren't all done up.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
It does take a little while to get used to more defined brows. You can always try lightly patting your finished brows with translucent powder, as this tones down the color slightly and might help you ease into this beauty trick. :)

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
I agree, it takes a bit to get used to, but now I wouldn't go without!

Sometimes, if I feel that I have made my brow too defined and dark, I will just take a tissue and run it over my brows, following their shape, to remove some of the color and to soften them a bit.

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
After reading this, I guess I have a late 40's to 50's shape to my brows, not unlike a golden-age Sherilyn Fenn's.

(I have to confess ladies... I'm obsessed with my eyebrows in the way that I think they are the most important feature of any face.)

One shape I've always been distracted by is the side ways tear-drop; heavy toward the bridge of the nose and then significantly thinner (almost a line) extending out. I can't help it - they always remind me of the shape of sperm in educational films. :rolleyes:

MissHuff

A-List Customer
beaucaillou said:
One shape I've always been distracted by is the side ways tear-drop; heavy toward the bridge of the nose and then significantly thinner (almost a line) extending out. I can't help it - they always remind me of the shape of sperm in educational films. :rolleyes:

lol I feel the same way about those eyebrows hehe

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
HistWardrobe said:
PS -- I actually got to MEET Claudette Colbert once, with Rex Harrison - our high school Thespian troupe got to go back stage at The National Theatre after their performance.

According to my family genealogist, I'm related to Claudette Colbert. I thought that was great!

Now, I used to completely remove my brows back in my goth decade. I only did it for about two years and it did look really good with my brows drawn on.

Nowadays, I go with a 40s look...I have natural slightly thinned arched brows that I pencil in for a groomed look...also because I have vanishing blonde brows with red hair (I dyed it a fiery auburn). I also style my hair in a 40s style daily if I am leaving my house and usually do period makeup, but it varies since I work in the cosmetics industry. Eventually, I want to dress the part, too, but I'm losing weight first.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
audrey4.jpg

Etienne

A-List Customer
:eek:fftopic: This should wind up in the beauty section, but somemone brought up the subject of eyebrows. Here's a little tip that works: to fill in brows with a pencil. gently flatten one side of a brow pencil by dragging it back and forth on an old emery board. It will end up with a flat, 1/8 inch wide surface at the end, perfect for "drawing" little hair-like strokes for brows!

Miss Brill

One Too Many
Mine are black, even though I'm a reddish-brownette. They are quite stark in my pale face, but they match my lashes, so I don't try to bleach them. Carmindy would make me bleach them. They are naturally shaped, not too thin, but they do have a natural arch. One is a bit higher than the other also. I'm all wonky. ;) [huh] :eek:

lyburnum

Practically Family
I recently tried the whole Audrey Hepburn heavy eyebrow look. Didn't look too great. I think Hepburn was the only one who could pull it off. :( I ended up looking rather manly!

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
I don't think the bartenders are considered 'housekeepers' - it's up to us to keep our own Lounge/Powder Room tidy.

The Lounge has been around for a while; most major topics have pretty much been covered. It's always good to have new discussions added to existing threads, though.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I use brow zings by Benefit. I over plucked my eybrows in my youth. They are very dark but sparse. I am trying to get them to grow back but I think they are this way for good. I want Elizabeth Taylor eybrows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider