Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Fedoras by Decade

pipvh

Practically Family
Thank you for a great illustrated lesson. Love those 1920s transitional Homburg/fedoras...

rlk

I'll Lock Up
A valiant attempt, but unavoidably perilously generalized. One must be careful to not assume from a common element or two. Only a starting point to be used with caution before further research.

Sweatband widths, reeding and stitching, just for one area example, also often vary with the felt weight, price point, manufacturer and equipment available, and sometimes even War conditions.

Especially difficult for 20's and 30's with their tremendous range of styles. Note also these generalizations are often particular to USA made hats.
An individual year's offerings can sometimes encompass much of the range. Some trends were brief although occasionally repeated after some separation of time, while others lasted for decades. Many elements contribute to dating and style generalizations are one of the most unreliable. The 40's was perhaps the only relatively consistent decade(the same range staying in production) if ignoring minor details. Look at even a single manufacturer's full catalog and you will see the problem illustrated.
The latest trend promoted to lure fresh sales at any time may be far from much of what is sold.

Mystic

Practically Family
There may be a more appropriate thread for this question...probably several in which it would fit.

Any oppinions about putting new liners and sweatbands in older hats as to taking away from the hats value because of removing Company logos, crests, and other information that may be imprinted on the sweatband and crown labels?

Would it take away from the collectability of the hat by removing or replacing this information, artwork or original pieces of the hat?

I have seen some hat that need the sweat or liner to be replaced to make it a nice wearable hat....but, would that alter the intrinsic elements that make a particular hat desireable to own.

I have never had a hat cleaned, blocked or replaced a liner or sweatband....I don't know how it is done or if there is such a thing as new reproduced items as in auto parts for replacements for restoreation.

maybe some of the older hat collectors and wearers that have experience in replacing these items could offer opinions and feedback.

There may be a more appropriate thread for this question...probably several in which it would fit.

Any oppinions about putting new liners and sweatbands in older hats as to taking away from the hats value because of removing Company logos, crests, and other information that may be imprinted on the sweatband and crown labels?

Would it take away from the collectability of the hat by removing or replacing this information, artwork or original pieces of the hat?

I have seen some hat that need the sweat or liner to be replaced to make it a nice wearable hat....but, would that alter the intrinsic elements that make a particular hat desireable to own.

I have never had a hat cleaned, blocked or replaced a liner or sweatband....I don't know how it is done or if there is such a thing as new reproduced items as in auto parts for replacements for restoreation.

maybe some of the older hat collectors and wearers that have experience in replacing these items could offer opinions and feedback.

I wear my hats, period. If the sweat & liner are serviceable, they stay in & get used. If not, they get replaced & I consider the hat a vintage felt body.
I do try to keep the original liner & sweat with the hat in its box for "documentation".
I don't run a museum so keeping older hats in original state that I don't wear is non-starter.
I have some hats from around the world that are on the hall tree in the foyer but those are souveniers.

I do think the "value" as far as resale is deteriorated when modern replacement liners & sweats are applied.
It would take a buyer of the same mindset to see past the modifications. JMHO....

Mystic

Practically Family
I wear my hats, period. If the sweat & liner are serviceable, they stay in & get used. If not, they get replaced & I consider the hat a vintage felt body.
I do try to keep the original liner & sweat with the hat in its box for "documentation".
I don't run a museum so keeping older hats in original state that I don't wear is non-starter.
I have some hats from around the world that are on the hall tree in the foyer but those are souveniers.

I do think the "value" as far as resale is deteriorated when modern replacement liners & sweats are applied.
It would take a buyer of the same mindset to see past the modifications. JMHO....

When you have a hat sent out to replace the liner or sweatband, does the shop doing the work automaticly send back the old liner and/or sweatband?
Is that common practice or do you have to request them back?

When you have a hat sent out to replace the liner or sweatband, does the shop doing the work automaticly send back the old liner and/or sweatband?
Is that common practice or do you have to request them back?

You MUST request it. I remove the liners before sending off if I want to keep them & specifically state to return the sweat. HTH

Dan Cav

New in Town
Great thread, very informative and a nice display of some fantastic examples of fedoras.

One thing though, where in the timeline of hats does the "wind trolley cord" appear?? Is it any particular decade or was it more about different options from different hat brands throughout??

2 of my hats (Resistol & Pilgrim) have the cords, and both are supposed to be from 1930/40's era.

Any insight would be grand.

Cheers Dan :)

buler

I'll Lock Up
Great thread, very informative and a nice display of some fantastic examples of fedoras.

One thing though, where in the timeline of hats does the "wind trolley cord" appear?? Is it any particular decade or was it more about different options from different hat brands throughout??

2 of my hats (Resistol & Pilgrim) have the cords, and both are supposed to be from 1930/40's era.

Any insight would be grand.

Cheers Dan :)

Here is an ad from 1894. Its been around for quite a while. Not sure when it transitioned from an aftermarket option to a manufacturer's option.

B

wind_trolley_1894.jpg

furfeltfettish

New in Town
I wonder if anyone here can speak to why the unreeded sweats fell out of favor. I know that specialized machines were used in the process, which shouldnt have added to labor costs more than reeded. I have a couple of the unreeded and I find that they offer more a custom fit and are more comfortable to wear. Sure miss 'em. Anyone have good intel on this?

Mystic

Practically Family
Here is an ad from 1894. Its been around for quite a while. Not sure when it transitioned from an aftermarket option to a manufacturer's option.

B

wind_trolley_1894.jpg

He he he...Now that's a funny ad....

The hat looks more like he's flying a kite....

but, not one strand of hair is mussed.....

That's really a Classic old era ad !!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy