Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage felt - Best of both worlds?

myronw

New in Town
Hi Guys,

My newest hat, which is made from this vintage felt, arrived today. See my post under "Best of both worlds?" for a review and some links to photos.

Keep smiling,

Myron

myronw

New in Town
Best of both worlds?

Hi guys,

I got a really nice surprise from UPS yesterday... The new hat that Charlie made me out of the Vintage Mercury Treated Felt arrived a day earlier than I expected it to! As you may or may not recall, I posted earlier about some vintage bodies that had just surfaced. These are the old murcury treated felt, and they have been in storage since 1928!

When I first heard about them, I had not owned a vintage hat, but just the idea of having a brand new 75+ year old hat was intriguing to me, so I contacted Charlie (the Gladhatter), who had posted a short blurb about them on another foum. He hadn't yet recieved any of them to look at, but he had heard that they were first quality and the real thing. When he finally received the samples, he was even more enthusiatic about finding them. He decided to put one of them on the block to see what it looked like, and I since I had shown an interest in them, he blocked it in my size.

At the time, I wasn't aware that he had done it, but I commented to him how much I liked the Bone colored hat that Matt Deckard wears in his avatar. Guess what... The body that he had already put on the block was a Bone one! Well, you can imagine how tickled I was when he told me that he already had one that he was working on, and that I could buy it, if I wanted it.

During the interim, I bought a vintage Dobbs hat, and I have been very pleased with it. The vintage felt and feel is definitely different than new. Fedora posted on the COW forum that he had put two of the vintage bodies on his Indian Jones block and said how impressed he was, so I was getting even more excited. He also mentioned that he had noticed that the vintage felt was much stronger and harder to pull apart than modern felt.

So how does the new hat compare to a vintage hat bought off ebay, and the custom made hats I already own? As you know, it's hard to compare apples and oranges, but I'll give it my best try. The vintage felt is definitely different than the modern felt I've seen. I don't know quite how to explain it, other than to ask if you've ever rubbed your fingers over the smooth side of a new Chamois, or some doe skin gloves... The vintage felt has a feel similar to that, and is very dense and uniform. The Sterling Beaver that Charlie uses is more of a velvety, buttery feel.

The vintage felt is thinner, and the brim is "floppier" if there is such a word, and conforms to my head a bit better right out of the box. Comparing it to the vintage Dobbs is difficult... They are both fine looking, well made hats, but since the custom one was made just for me, it fits better and of course it's just the color I wanted.

So which is best? I love the new vintage felt; I love the idea of wearing a brand new 75 year old hat; I love the color; but I don't know if it's quite worth the extra money... There are only about 300 of the vintage bodies available, and they cost Charlie and Fedora dearly, so they have to pass on the added expense. Only you can decide if you want a custom made, seventy-five year old hat bad enough to pay that much more money for it.

Here are some links to the photos Charlie took before he shipped it to me. I still don't have a digital camera. I'd rather spend the money on hats, I guess...

http://www.gladhatter.com/forumpix/mw/bnbowsd.jpg
http://www.gladhatter.com/forumpix/mw/bnbowsd1.jpg
http://www.gladhatter.com/forumpix/mw/bnfrt.jpg
http://www.gladhatter.com/forumpix/mw/bntop.jpg

Sorry for being so long winded,

Myron

myronw

New in Town
Hi Sharpetoys,

HMMMMMM... Somehow that didn't come out quite like I meant it... I guess I should have read it back to myself before posting it, eh? What I meant to say was that I was glad I didn't have to wait for the color that I wanted to add to my collection; and that I was glad that he let me buy the one he already had on hand. I don't guess there are too many of that particular color in the lot, do you? Of course, it could have been more popular then, and out of three hundred bodies there might be plenty...

Have a good weekend,

Myron

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
I agree with both of you. Thats whats nice about Ebay, i have several mercury felts from the 1930's that i only paid $25.00 or so for. They didn't even have a moth bite or look if they were ever worn.

I have 2 beavers from Steve AKA Fedora and for $225.00 you get one Niceeeeeeeeeeeee Fedora. I think they are even nicer than the mercury and worth every penny.

Steve gives excellent customer service and never rips off his customers. What a deal.:D :) :D

myronw

New in Town
Hi Sharpetoys,

I like ebay too; but you can't get a hat made any size you want, in your favorite color, and styled to your specifications. Since you love your beaver hats that Fedora made, and you also love vintage felt, you now have a limited time chance for him to make you a custom vinage hat, any way you want it.

Or you could have Art make that Penney's Marathon out of the vinatage felt... Who would have ever dreamed we would have so many options?

Keep smiling,

Myron

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Im way ahead of you on your post above.

I have a Optimo on order in a SILVER SATIN FINISH “MITCHUM.

http://www.thegoldenera.net/Optimo.html

I have another hat on order from Steve AKA Fedora.

steve
E-mail Address(es):
sdelk@cableone.net

I have asked Art to make me another one when he gets his new felts in.

http://www.vintagesilhouettes.com/m_hats_new_felts.htm

I have sent the conformer kit back to Roy Jackson, he built the first silver belly for RayK. I want a softer felt, but i liked his work and the silver belly color was the best i've ever seen.

http://www.jaxonbilthats.com/prices.htm

I think the above hatters not only build a nice hat and excellent customer care they are nice people and i'm proud to call them friends.:) :) :D :) :)

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Why are the murmerings telling me that the body for that Happy Hatter Custom was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy under $100.00?

And wait a minute, I though that the Happy man also made Rayk's hats...couldn't possibly have been a subcontractor!

myronw

New in Town
Hi Sharpetoys,

Be sure and give us a critique when you get your hat from Roy Jackson. Isn't he the guy in Salmon, Idaho? If so, he's only a three hour drive from here! I've heard he does really nice work, too.

Robert,

I wouldn't presume to ask someone what they pay for their supplies... Do people have the gall to ask you what you pay for your raw hats in Ecuador?

Keep smiling,

Myron

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
PanamaBob wrote,

Why are the murmerings telling me that the body for that Happy Hatter Custom was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy under $100.00?

And wait a minute, I though that the Happy man also made Rayk's hats...couldn't possibly have been a subcontractor!

Oh, Robert he was just playing.

I've known him for 2 years and he like you Mr. M is one of the good guys.

Robert, you just be nice and just turn the other cheek.:D

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Myrown wrote

Hi Sharpetoys,

Be sure and give us a critique when you get your hat from Roy Jackson. Isn't he the guy in Salmon, Idaho? If so, he's only a three hour drive from here! I've heard he does really nice work, too.

Mr M.

When i saw the hat he had made for RayK It was made out of cowboy beaver and to stiff and thick for a fedora grade beaver hat.

I called him and he said he could make me one in a fedora weight beaver and not cowboy beaver.

Look at his beaver prices and he has a real store with over head.

He told me he had been making hats for a re seller and had the re sellers sweats,liners, hat boxes and even mailing labels all printed with the re sellers company name.

RayK never even knew that that the re seller never made his first hat.

After another hatter looked at the hat for RayK and then the other hatter sent it back to the re seller for RayK . He finally got a hat like he ordered from the re seller in the first place.( nice floppy thin soft fedora grade felt.)

Roy Jackson sent me samples and a conformer kit and i called several of his customers who had his hat made by Mr. Jackson and every one said it was on par or even nicer than Trent Johson hats since several owned both.

Well we all know what a fine Master Hatter Mr. Trent Johnson is.

I think Mr. Roy Jackson is in the same class.

Here is Master Hatter Roy Jackson site

Master Hatter Trent Johnson site
http://www.greeleyhatworks.com/html/index.asp?url=/html/dress/index.html

I must say if you are into beaver fur felt Fedora can make you one open crown for $225.00. I don't think you'll find a better price any where.

Mr. M. I know you don't need to pay $100's or even a $1000.00 for a mercury felt hat they aren't that hard to find. I know i have 2 of them. It took just a little research on my part.

myronw

New in Town
Hi Sharpetoys,

I work for the highway department here in Idaho, and we have a maintenance station in Salmon. I used to get up there three or four times a year on state business, but they haven't sent me up there in quite a while. I guess I'm going to have to break down and just go visit his shop one of these days. The hats on his website are definitely nice! I can't wait to hear how you like yours.

Myron

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Myron,

I've said many times what the hats cost in Ecuador and I've invited people down many times.

Also, if a friend were buying a hat I'd bought for $20.00 I'd never tell him they were $600.00.

myronw

New in Town
Hi Robert,

I stand corrected... I guess I wasn't paying attention. Is the weather starting to turn bad there in your neck of the woods?

Myron

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Myrown,
I'll let you know when i get it.

When i saw the hat he had made for RayK It was made out of cowboy beaver and to stiff and thick for a fedora grade beaver hat.

I called him and he said he could make me one in a fedora weight beaver and not cowboy beaver.

Look at his beaver prices and he has a real store with over head.

He told me he had been making hats for a re seller and had the re sellers sweats,liners, hat boxes and even mailing labels all printed with the re sellers company name.

RayK never even knew that that the re seller never made his first hat.

After another hatter looked at the hat for RayK and then the other hatter sent it back to the re seller for RayK . He finally got a hat like he ordered from the re seller in the first place.( nice floppy thin soft fedora grade felt.)

Roy Jackson sent me samples and a conformer kit and i called several of his customers who had his hat made by Mr. Jackson and every one said it was on par or even nicer than Trent Johson hats since several owned both.

Well we all know what a fine Master Hatter Mr. Trent Johnson is.

I think Mr. Roy Jackson is in the same class.

Here is Master Hatter Roy Jackson site

Master Hatter Trent Johnson site
http://www.greeleyhatworks.com/html...ress/index.html

I must say if you are into beaver fur felt Fedora can make you one open crown for $225.00. I don't think you'll find a better price any where.

Mr. M. I know you don't need to pay $100's or even a $1000.00 for a mercury felt hat they aren't that hard to find. I know i have 2 of them. It took just a little research on my part.

myronw

New in Town
Hi Sharpetoys,

I was looking on the Club Obi-Wan forum, and Fedora is even sending one of his vintage felt I.J. style fedoras around for anyone who's interested to see and feel! All you have to do is promise to send it on to the next person on the list. I thought that was pretty decent of him. That way, anyone who's interested can see for themselves what it really looks and feels like.

Keep smiling

Myron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy