Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VINTAGE FRIENDLY DEODORANT

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
your best bet are dress shields. If the garment is sleeveless, then half a shield on the inside.

Yeah, tis the compromise for smelling fine.

LD

Laughing Magpie

One of the Regulars
I have just discovered dress shields too! They are very useful indeed.

I don't know whether I really recommend this - but I have used Drysol in the past. It's a serious deodorant that you use overnight. Basically blasts your sweat glands into submission for days at a time. After showering in the morning, there isn't any deodorant left on the surface of your skin, so it shouldn't harm your clothes. It hurts though! I believe in the US it's a prescription, but it's over the counter here in Canada.

So yeah - dress shields :)

Jen

katiepickle

New in Town
i believe that it is the antiperspirant that discolors fabrics and not the deodorant. you may want to try using something that is only a deodorant with a white t-shirt to see if it keeps the sweat stains to a minimum.
another idea, i use that new dove ultra clear and i have not had any staining problems, but it did just start to warm up here. summer may prove differently.

Rosie

One Too Many
I use an all natural organic deodorant called crystal. It isn't an anti perspirant (spelliing?) but, I don't usually "feel the heat" too much. I haven't had any problems with staining.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Laughing Magpie said:

I don't know whether I really recommend this - but I have used Drysol in the past. It's a serious deodorant that you use overnight. Basically blasts your sweat glands into submission for days at a time. After showering in the morning, there isn't any deodorant left on the surface of your skin, so it shouldn't harm your clothes. It hurts though! I believe in the US it's a prescription, but it's over the counter here in Canada.

Jen

I was going to try that as I am rather a sweaty betty in the summer, but a friend of mine used it and though she said it was great at stopping your armpits sweating, she started pouring from her face instead. Cos it has to come out somewhere, so that makes sense.

I'd rather have sweaty pits than face, at least you can keep your arms down to hide it!

Elaina

One Too Many
Ha! I can't wear deodrant (but then I don't have sweat glands there anymore). But when I did, I wore Tussy. It's cheap, not anti-persperant, and does the trick. Also, corn starch lightly dusted will help with sweat and smell.

Also, as an fyi, in a pinch if you can't find/don't have dress guards, panty liners will also work, just safety pin them in place.

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
My granny used perfumed talc instead of deodorant. I understand this was pretty common back in the days. On a LARP i wanted to go full vintage, but could not find the real product, so I used baby powder. That worked too.

I don`t think talc stains clothes. Maybe worth a try?

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Rosie said:
I use an all natural organic deodorant called crystal. It isn't an anti perspirant (spelliing?) but, I don't usually "feel the heat" too much. I haven't had any problems with staining.

I use the Crystal natural deodorant too. I stopped using deodorants with aluminum in them after aluminum was connected to higher Alzheimer's rates. I am not a heavy sweat-er (except when at the gym) and the Crystal completely eliminates odor. (The Crystal is just mineral salts which control odor.) I haven't had any problems at all...

For some reason only natural fibers like cashmere and silk make me have b.o.! :eek:

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Elaina said:
Also, as an fyi, in a pinch if you can't find/don't have dress guards, panty liners will also work, just safety pin them in place.

yeah, panty liners work and sometimes you can just adhere them like dress shields. or you can use..... FASHION TAPE!

i'm going to make myself some fabric ones that i can just pin into my garments. i sweat so much, even with anti-perspirant, even if it's not warm out. i need something that's more economical than buying disposable dress shields.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
KittyT said:
yeah, panty liners work and sometimes you can just adhere them like dress shields. or you can use..... FASHION TAPE!

i'm going to make myself some fabric ones that i can just pin into my garments. i sweat so much, even with anti-perspirant, even if it's not warm out. i need something that's more economical than buying disposable dress shields.

You and your fahsion tape lol !! Like me and my buttons!

Making your own dress shields, thats a great idea!!!

LD

Elaina

One Too Many
I went the panty liner route after having one arm seeping from a surgery. I guess I have to worry about it because of open wounds frequently, and it's sanitary, when I need to I can throw them away. Making my own works, but I'm lazy.

I don't think about tape, I'm allergic to the adhesieve, and that's all I need: for it to twist and get onto an area that already hurts most of the time!

Laughing Magpie

One of the Regulars
Fleur De Guerre - I didn't have the face sweating problem when I tried Drysol, I stopped mainly because of the pain and after using it for awhile it starts to lose it's efficacy. On the other hand, I have a couple friends who swear by the stuff.

I sweat like nobody's business, so I know the deodorant-only/herbal/crystal ones won't help me. If it's a precious garment, I either need to turn off the taps or use barriers.

Elaina and those who've tried panty liners - when I do that, they twist and get bunched up. Am I using the wrong orientation or something, do you tack it down?

KittyT - The dress shields I have aren't disposable - I buy them at a sewing supply place and you tack them in, after awhile you can take them out again and wash them. But I love your idea of making them! Why didn't I think of that before?? :)

Miss Bella - the natural fibers give you problems? Interesting - I find the opposite. Wool especially seems to put up with me and my sweat really well :)

Ladies, I can't believe I've only posted here a dozen times and I'm already talking to you about how much I sweat. And panty liners in my armpits! *blush*

Jen

Elaina

One Too Many
It's why I safety pin them. I use 8-10 (or more) very small ones and pin away until they're secure (but this only works on tailored clothing) or if I'm having a particulalry rough run with surgery, I've been known to wrap my ams in bandages.

I can't lift one arm above my shoulder, so no one ever sees the undersides to the clothing, but I make sure they're tacked as invisibly as possible.

maisie

Practically Family
Laughing Magpie said:

Jen

I used this type of deodrant, i can't remember the exact brand name, a few years back and though it would be great as it wouldn't harm my clothes. But believe me it does! It rotted the armpit of a few of my dresses and shirts! I couldn't believe it! It might of just been me but i always put dress sheilds in things now!

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I use Certain Dri at night. It stops you from sweating completely. They also have a daytime formula though I haven't tried that yet.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Laughing Magpie said:
Ladies, I can't believe I've only posted here a dozen times and I'm already talking to you about how much I sweat. And panty liners in my armpits! *blush*

Jen

lol
We have all been there :eek:

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats