Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage hairstyles, non-vintage haircuts

Ada Veen

Practically Family
Hello all,

I have a question for everyone. I am currently in the process of growing my hair. I really want to have it long, which I haven't for years, and it is currently in a very blunt shoulder-length growing-out-a-bob style with a fringe (or bangs).

Now, this cut really doesn't lend itself well to vintage styles, but I've been in the growing for so long, and I have thin hair, so I am unwilling to get the requisite layers cut in that I really need to make vintage styles work, especially as for me, a full authentic vintage look is a special occasion more than an everyday thing. However, when I do get vintagified I have real issues doing anything authentic with my hair.

What I was wondering is:

1) who else has, or has had at some point in the past, a non-vintage cut, and how did they get around this? If you have been in this position, what styles did (or do) you put your hair in to try and create authentic vintage looks without having the proper cut?

I'm curious about any hairstyles really, and photos (especially before and after) would be great! :)

I don't think there has been a thread on this before, but if there has, bartenders, please feel free to merge me!

olive bleu

One Too Many
how long is the fringe? is you hair length long enough to do an updo?or...

I have kind of cheated on a pageboy when my hair was one length, by curling the front section tighter than the back

classicPageBoy.jpg

or you can still do finger waves.

ShortClara

One Too Many
You can do layers just at the front from cheekbone to the front corner of the hair (don't cut off the corner!) - that's what I have. So, it's not a huge commitment, but it's way easier to fake a pretty easy retro hair-do, which is what I do every day.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I haven't had time to roll up my hair since I had it cut two weeks ago and my hair isn't fine but I have some long layers in the bottom 1/3 of my hair and graduated sides up to the top layers, no further. I'm growing out my bangs. My hairdresser who has naturally curly hair says this cut will help hold the curls better, the layers and graduation can be adjusted as my hair grows longer or I can choose to lose them. She looks older and she seems very competent so I trust her judgement.

I'm going to Bornholm next week but I'll try to find time to roll my hair up when I get home. When naturally straight, you can't tell much of a difference from before and after I had the layers cut. Some how, the cut just works better.

LOL! I just made several attempts to photograph my hair to show off the layers and graduation. But, my hair's black and it doesn't show up very well. Besides, it's a hot and humid day, I'm in a ugly shift and new glasses that sure make me see better but they don't do much for my appearance:eek:

If I ever have success with curls in this haircut, I'll post photos...without glasses on!

Lillemor

One Too Many
Finally done it!

Shoulder length in the back, layers through bottom, graduated sides that unfortunately makes any vintage style quite full at the sides which isn't very flattering to my face but might work with someone else's face, outgrowing bangs:

My hair isn't brown and it's not matte. It just looks that way because I needed a lot of bright lighting coming in from the side to show off layers. The layers are cut with a scissor, not razored.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland