Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage Horsehide Harley Sportster Café Racer- Latest Score

technovox

One Too Many
For the longest time, I’ve been on a quest to find the perfect Harley Sportster “One Pocket” café racer. I’m not sure why, but I’ve always loved the wonderfully minimalistic design, the no frills back, the cool and versatile shirt-jacket style, the Harley label and all the history that comes with it, and of course- just one pocket and nothing else- the ultimate in understated simplicity.
I’ve been through 5 of them over the last few years, each distinctive in their own way. But unfortunately I could never find one that fit quite right- typical ebay liability. Or if it did fit, it was a later AMF version that just didn’t have the look of the earlier ones.
And so recently, while on vacation down south, I stumbled upon one in a vintage boutique store. Totally unexpected. It was tucked away in the back, hidden on a rack between a stack of other clothes. When I pulled it off the hanger, I realized it was an earlier Harley. All but a remnant of the white “Harley Workmanship” label was missing, but it just had the look… Conmar zips, diamond pull, and that raw jerky leather patina from half a century ago when they used horsehide. It was in amazing shape, supple, just the right amount of wear, and best of all - it fit like a dream! And for a fraction of the price if I bought it on ebay. Total vintage score!
After all these years, the search for this one is finally over. Here are some pics.

HarleyS44Main.jpg

HarleyS44Back.jpg

HarleyS44Shoulder.jpg

HarleyS44zip1.jpg

HarleyS44Sleeve.jpg

HarleyS44Collar.jpg

Harleys44ChestPocket.jpg

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Always a great feeling to find something that nice at that price that fits. Fantastic score!

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
That's a great story! I've seen a couple in the last few years on Ebay, but I'm a 46-48, and they just never turn up in those sizes. That's a really neat bit of history there. Congratulations.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Outstanding - when I see one like that I'm reminded again how much more charisma vintage has to repro. I have a vintage Brooks which has similar beauty.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Great story and great jacket. Like finding a needle in a haystack. Looks to be in really fantastic shape, clearly vintage without being worn out. Wear it for many years in good health.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
wow, the grain has so thoroughly formed showing all the possible movement pattern as if the jacket is alive, that top of the neck to underarm diagonal lines are amazing. I wonder how long I should wait for a jacket to look like this... probably I should ride in the rain a lot.

wow, the grain has so thoroughly formed showing all the possible movement pattern as if the jacket is alive, that top of the neck to underarm diagonal lines are amazing. I wonder how long I should wait for a jacket to look like this... probably I should ride in the rain a lot.

Aye, I was just thinking about how it looks like this jacket wasn't a super tight fit for the previous owner...

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
OK Technovox, we gotta see fit pictures of this one-in-a-lifetime find. Your initial post illustrated how it's done - not on eBay, not listed in the classifieds, but stashed away in an old resale store, mostly ignored and forgotten. Did the seller realize what he had? Shows how sometimes one man's junk is another man's gem. You hit a home run with bases loaded here! :cheers1:

Benj

One of the Regulars
Amazing score, it looks so vintage... in the best way. And a great fit, enjoy! Gotta love all the racer love recently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo