Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vintage in So. Cal? Help needed!!

jkath

New in Town
Oh dear!
I am brand new at vintage (there's an oxymoron), and my first major event is a week from Saturday. (We're talking hundreds of people in 1940's vintage wear, and I must look my best) My dress I found on ebay arrived today and even though it's lovely, it will need too many alterations:cry: I'm hoping one of you SoCal locals can help me locate a vintage store to find a new evening gown for the event.
help! help! help!help!

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Try Julian's on 3rd.

Here's their info -- the guy is really nice and they have lots of things, but it's sort of tight in there -- don't go on a rainy day! :p

Julian's Vintage Clothing
8366 1/2 West 3rd St.
Los Angeles, CA 90048
(323) 655-3011

There is also Polka Dots And Moonbeams across the street, but they have a more eclectic selection, and I doubt you'd have much luck. Still fun to browse!

If you're willing to break the bank for this event, no holds barred -- try The Way They Wore on La Brea and 4th. Everything is stunning. Everything is stunningly priced (ouch, ouch, ouch!). It's worth a browse even if you're just going to sigh over the unattainable yet so-perfect piece you will inevitably find. They also have a large selection of shoes, if I remember correctly.

If you're up for a southerly jaunt, try Wear it Again, Sam in Hillcrest (San Diego). They've got tons of fun stuff, the employees are really nice (even if they get to pick over the stock before it gets put out -- GRR!), and prices are about what you'd expect... They were pretty reasonable a few years back, but unfortunately their prices have been climbing. Still not terrible -- less than you'd probably pay for a new evening gown at Macy's. Very lovely atmosphere.

jkath

New in Town
Thank you Miss Q! You are wonderful!

I'll see if I can make it to LA before the weekend- (I'm in the 909). There's nothing like shopping last minute! I'm still growling to my h who knew this was a vintage event months ago (he informed me 1 week ago).

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
jkath said:
Thank you Miss Q! You are wonderful!

I'll see if I can make it to LA before the weekend- (I'm in the 909). There's nothing like shopping last minute! I'm still growling to my h who knew this was a vintage event months ago (he informed me 1 week ago).

Well then...since this is his fault...you should inform him that the cost of outfitting at the last moment is his to bear..... and you should get something really nice....:p

jkath

New in Town
He'll pay...mwa ha ha ha.....I don't even want to tell you how much he spent on his suit. (Granted, it's a new suit from Nordie's, but will do fine with my vintage. He's the recipient of the company's big award this year, so he wanted to really look spiffy. I'd love to find him a fedora, tho)

BTW, as I was googling around, I found this site, and really think it may benefit some of the fedora family:

http://www.lindyhopping.com/clothingetc.html

I may drive out to Arcadia to the Polk A Dots there, as it's only about 20 miles from here.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
jkath said:
He'll pay...mwa ha ha ha.....I don't even want to tell you how much he spent on his suit. (Granted, it's a new suit from Nordie's, but will do fine with my vintage. He's the recipient of the company's big award this year, so he wanted to really look spiffy. I'd love to find him a fedora, tho)

BTW, as I was googling around, I found this site, and really think it may benefit some of the fedora family:

http://www.lindyhopping.com/clothingetc.html

I may drive out to Arcadia to the Polk A Dots there, as it's only about 20 miles from here.

I would try calling Pok-a-dots....since they keep moving....Pok-A-Dots
(626) 445-0254 115 E Huntington Dr
Arcadia, CA

Since thats not the same address as on the website...and I am having a rough time remembering where they are now....I can picture in my head both of those locations and know they have been at each....but not in what order....

jkath

New in Town
They used to be just below Huntington, on 1st, I think, but the addy on Huntington itself seems to be the last place I saw them, just down from Outback Steakhouse.

jkath

New in Town
I went by The Theater Company in Upland. They do mostly rentals, but some sales as well. Talk about a vintage mecca! I wonder if they know how many thousand pieces they have. I didn't find anything *(yet) but spoke with a gentleman there who informed me that they have many celeb pieces, some with the wearer's name on the labels. Interesting place. It's on Benton, if anyone's interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot